Easy Spanish Rice is made on the stove with only a few simple ingredients. It tastes just like the Spanish rice from your favorite Mexican restaurant! Using salsa in the recipe makes this recipe one of the easiest Mexican rice recipes ever!
I love Mexican food. Chips, salsa, burritos, enchiladas….you name it, I like it. And I really love the rice and beans that always comes along with a good Mexican dinner. A while ago, I started making this delicious Instant Pot Refried Beans recipe as a side, but it took me a bit longer to find a good Spanish rice recipe. One that wasn’t very complicated but that tasted delicious too. This recipe is the end result of all that time and effort!
Easy Spanish Rice with Salsa
There are so many different ways to make Spanish rice, and while this recipe may not be the traditional method, it is still a very tasty one! We use our favorite jarred salsa to create flavorful rice packed with color. You’ll definitely liven up Taco Tuesdays with this side dish on your plate.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- You can adjust the flavors! This rice is so easy to make on the stove, and you can adjust the flavor by using different kinds of salsa. Use a hot salsa if you like a bit of kick, or you can even use some green salsa if you’d like a different flavor.
- It’s pretty quick. The hands-on time this rice needs is very minimal, and while it’s simmering away, you can prep the main dishes. By the time that’s done, the rice should be too.
- Minimal ingredients. We won’t need much to make this recipe. In fact, we only use a few ingredients from start to finish to give us this easy Mexican rice.
Easy Spanish Rice Ingredients
Rice– You’ll only need 1 cup of uncooked medium or long-grain rice. This will grow to make several servings of rice as it cooks.
Chicken broth– Use 1 cup of chicken broth for moisture and flavor. This is a more flavorful alternative to just using water.
Salsa– You will need 1 cup of Cantina (or Restaurant) style salsa, but honestly, any salsa will do.
Lime– Use 1/2 teaspoon of lime juice for added freshness.
Salt- To help naturally enhance the flavors in the dish, you’ll want to use a pinch of salt.
How to Make Easy Spanish Rice
Add all of the ingredients to a large skillet/saucepan over high heat.
Bring to a boil and stir briefly before covering and reducing the heat to medium-low.
Simmer for 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
Put the lid back on so it stays hot until ready to serve.
Easy Spanish Rice
- 1 cup White rice medium or long grain, uncooked
- 1 cup Chicken broth
- 1 cup Cantina or Restaurant style salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon Lime juice
- 1 pinch Salt
- Add all of the ingredients to a large skillet/saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a boil and stir briefly before covering and reducing the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- Put the lid back on so it stays hot until ready to serve.
What kind of rice to use in Easy Spanish Rice?
Regular white rice works great in Mexican rice recipes. You can use a medium or long grain rice for best results. Don’t forget to rinse the rice first to help remove the excess starches so that your rice dish doesn’t turn out too sticky.
How long is Spanish rice good for?
You can keep this Spanish rice in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When reheating, you can add a little liquid or some pads of butter to help rehydrate the rice so that it doesn’t feel dry.
Check out these other great side dish recipes!
- PINEAPPLE SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
- BLT PASTA SALAD
- BROWN SUGAR ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
- CAST IRON SKILLET POTATOES
- CHEESY BACON CREAMED CORN
- ZUCCHINI RISOTTO
- CARAMEL APPLE FLUFF
- BLUEBERRY JELLO SALAD
- COPYCAT CHICK-FIL-A MAC AND CHEESE
- CREAMY SALSA VERDE
- STRAWBERRY FLUFF SALAD
- ORANGE GLAZED CARROTS
LOVE MEXICAN FOOD? SO DO WE! HERE ARE SOME OF OUR FAVORITE MEXICAN RECIPES:
- Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Dip
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Vegetarian Enchiladas
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Cheesy Green Chile Bean Dip
- Texas Trash Bean Dip
- Easy Blender Salsa
- Easy Salsa Chicken
- Creamy Salsa Verde
- Easy Taco Salad
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Easy Taco Calzones
- Easy Slow Cooker Sweet Pork
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
Easy Spanish Rice made on the stove with only a few simple ingredients. It tastes just like Spanish rice from your favorite Mexican restaurant! Using salsa in the recipe makes this recipe one of the easiest Mexican rice recipes ever!