Easy Smoked Meatloaf made with common ingredients for a classic meatloaf recipe with incredible flavor! Take dinner up a notch with this meatloaf recipe cooked in a smoker.
Homemade Meatloaf has always been a family favorite. Sometimes Meatloaf is given a bad reputation but it is actually quite delicious and an easy meal to prepare.
The flavors for this made from scratch meatloaf recipe are a winning combination that our children love and truth be told- there are rarely any leftovers!
CAN I SMOKE A MEATLOAF?
Yes, you can! Once you learn how to make meatloaf in your smoker or grill you will never go back to your oven. These simple instructions are easy to follow and will make the most flavorful meatloaf.
Meatloaf is a dish traditionally made of ground meat that has been mixed with other ingredients and formed into the shape of a loaf, then baked or smoked. Most people use ground beef for their meatloaf. Other variations may include ground pork, veal, venison, poultry or seafood.
How long do you cook Meatloaf for?
It is important for Meatloaf to be cooked all the way through. You will want your loaf to reach an internal temperature of 155 degrees F. Most meatloaf recipes will require you to cook your meatloaf for at least one hour. Be sure to use a proper meat thermometer to get an accurate reading.
Meatloaf is a comfort food that is typically served with other comfort foods. Any type of potato would make a great pairing. Baked Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes, french fries, roasted potatoes or scalloped potatoes would be delicious!
Adding a fresh or steamed veggie would always be a great side dish to eat with it.
Here’s what you’ll need:
— Ground Beef – I use 80/20 because the last thing you’ll want to eat is dry meatloaf
— White Onion- I use about half and chop it really tiny
–1 sleeve Soda Crackers (crushed) – Saltines work the best
–Ketchup – you’ll put some in the meatloaf as well as use some for the glaze on top
–Salt & Pepper
— Ingredients for the Meatloaf Glaze – for the glaze you’ll need ketchup, mustard and brown sugar. It’s simple but SO GOOD.
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. I do this by hand with food safe gloves because it’s easier but you can mix with a large spoon or a rubber scraper.
Shape into loaf and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. I like to use one of my more beat-up cookie sheets because the smoke will leave a residue.
Place in smoker and insert oven safe probe thermometer into middle of meatloaf, if you have one. Smoke for 1 hour at 225°F.
The glaze for this meatloaf consists of three simple ingredients that you probably have in your pantry. The glaze is the last thing you’ll add to your meatloaf after is cooked and it is the finishing touch.
To make the glaze you will want to combine all three ingredients into a small sauce pan. Slowly warm up your ingredients on medium low heat, stirring often. Make sure the brown sugar dissolves completely. Once it is liquefied and warmed through it is finished and ready for glazing.
While smoking, mix ingredients for your glaze and warm slightly so the brown sugar can melt and it will spread on your meatloaf easier. Brush on glaze and increase temperature to 375°F.
Cook until an internal temperature of 155°, remove and let rest for 10 minutes. Temperature will continue to 160° during this resting time. Slice and serve!
How to Smoke a Meatloaf
Ingredients for Meatloaf:
- 2.5 lbs 80/20 Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup White Onion thinly chopped
- 1 sleeve Soda Crackers crushed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
- 3/4 C Ketchup
- 1/4 C Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Mustard
- Preheat smoker to 225°F.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. I do this by hand with food safe gloves because it’s easier but you can mix with a large spoon or rubber scraper.
- Shape into loaf and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Place in smoker. Insert oven safe probe thermometer into middle of meatloaf, if desired. You can also just take the temp by hand. Smoke for 1 hour at 225°F.
- How to make Meatloaf Glaze
- Combine all three ingredients into a small sauce pan. Slowly warm up your ingredients on medium low heat, stirring often. Make sure the brown sugar dissolves completely. Once it is liquefied and warmed through it is finished and ready for glazing.
- Brush on glaze and increase temperature of smoker to 375°F.
- Cook until an internal temperature of 155°, remove and let rest for 10 minutes. Temperature will continue to 160° during this resting time. Slice and enjoy!
Can you reheat Meatloaf?
Yes, you can reheat Meatloaf either in your microwave, oven or smoker. Make sure leftovers are properly stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Leftovers will be good for 3-5 days. I’m a huge fan of leftover meatloaf sandwiches!
Can I double this Meatloaf recipe?
Yes, you can always double the recipe. You can do this by making one extra large loaf or by making two smaller loafs. If you make one large loaf you will need to cook it for longer.
Can you freeze Meatloaf?
Yes, you can freeze meatloaf. For Meatloaf that has been cooked you will want to store it in an airtight container. Once frozen be sure to consume within 3 months. For raw meatloaf wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in an airtight freezer bag. Raw meatloaf should last up to six months in the freezer.
- CHILE LIME SMOKED CHICKEN WINGS
- EASY SMOKED TURKEY BREAST RECIPE
- EASY SMOKED CHICKEN LEGS
- BEST MEMORIAL DAY BBQ RECIPES
- MINI MEATLOAF RECIPE with CHEDDAR CHEESE
- HOW TO MAKE BEEF STROGANOFF
- BEST TENDER & FLAVORFUL SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW
- GRILLED FLANK STEAK
- FIESTA RANCH CHICKEN PASTA SALAD
Don’t be afraid to learn how to smoke a meatloaf! Homemade Meatloaf is a comfort food that everyone loves. Smoking your Meatloaf is so easy you will never use any other method. Follow these simple instructions to make the most delicious meatloaf recipe ever.