Homemade Creamed Corn made with canned or frozen corn & cream on the stovetop! This creamed corn recipe is a delicious side dish that can be made in just a few minutes!
What is Creamed Corn?
Creamed Corn is just as it sounds, corn kernels combined with some type of cream. For most of my life, I didn’t think that I liked cream style corn because I had only ever tried the kind that comes in a can and was not a fan.
I tried this homemade version and have completely changed my opinion on creamed corn! This recipe is made with milk, whipping cream, salt and a little bit of sugar. The sauce is slightly thickened with flour and butter. It’s simple and amazing!
Why Make Homemade Cream Corn?
I love how you can use frozen or canned corn which makes this side dish both quick & easy to make! It’s the perfect side dish for a holiday, but is so easy and yummy that you can make it on a regular basis – it tastes great with everything!
- It comes together fast! It generally takes me about 10 minutes to make this recipe.
- Flexible ingredients. Don’t have whipping cream? Use Half & Half or even whole milk instead!
- Add your own finishing flavor. We love this topped with Parmesan cheese, but you can top it with bacon, black pepper, kosher salt, cheddar cheese, chives, jalapenos, or minced garlic! Garnish with fresh parsley if you’d like!
Ingredients in Homemade Creamed Corn
Frozen corn – You will need two 10-ounce bags of frozen corn. Frozen corn tastes the closest to fresh, but is so much easier. All you have to do is open the bags! No need to thaw before adding to the recipe.
Whipping cream – You will need 1 cup (8 ounces) of whipping cream. This makes the creamed corn so creamy and delicious!
Milk – You don’t want the creamed corn to be too rich or thick, so there is a little bit of milk in the recipe as well. You can use any type of milk you have on hand.
Salt – One teaspoon of salt provides the right amount of seasoning needed to flavor the corn.
Sugar – Adding a couple tablespoons of sugar may seem a little strange, but is absolutely delicious so don’t leave it out!
Pinch of red pepper – Just adds a little flavor and spice to the recipe. You can add more if you want a little more of a kick, but just a tiny bit will flavor the corn without making it too spicy.
Butter – You only need 2 tablespoons of butter. Make sure to melt it before mixing with the flour to help thicken up the cream mixture.
Flour – Just use 2 tablespoons of flour to thicken up the recipe. All-purpose flour works best.
How to make Creamed Corn
Combine the corn, heavy cream, milk, salt, sugar and pinch of red pepper together in a saucepan. Heat slowly and boil for 5 minutes over medium heat.
Whisk butter and flour together in a small bowl. Stir into the corn mixture until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
Can serve immediately OR if desired, sprinkle with a little bit of shredded Parmesan cheese and broil until golden brown. Top with bacon, chives, or even jalapeno, if desired! Adjust to your taste as needed!
Heavy Cream VS Whipping Cream
We use whipping cream in this recipe instead of heavy cream as it has a lower fat content. It’s also called “Light Whipping Cream.” If you’re struggling to find it in your area, you can use Half & Half instead, or even whole milk.
Homemade Creamed Corn
- 20 oz frozen corn two 10-oz bags OR two 14.5oz cans corn
- 8 oz whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- pinch of red pepper
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- Combine the corn, heavy cream, milk, salt, sugar and pinch of red pepper together in a saucepan. Heat slowly and boil for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Whisk butter and flour together in a small bowl. Stir into the corn mixture until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Can serve immediately OR if desired, sprinkle with a little bit of shredded Parmesan cheese and broil until golden brown.
- We love this topped with Parmesan cheese, but you can top it with bacon, black pepper, kosher salt, cheddar cheese, chives, jalapenos, or minced garlic! Garnish with fresh parsley if you'd like!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Can I use canned corn in this Easy Cream Corn recipe?
If you don’t have frozen corn, you can use canned corn instead. You will need 2 cans (14.5 oz) of corn to equal the amount of corn in 2 bags. Make sure to drain the corn really well before adding to the recipe.
Can I use Fresh Corn to make Creamed Corn?
Yes, you can cut the kernels off ears of cob corn to use fresh corn in this recipe! If you want to make the full recipe, you’ll need about 4 cups of fresh corn, which means you’ll need about 6-8 ears of fresh corn cobs.
Can I make creamed corn ahead of time?
This creamed corn is definitely best just after making, but you can make it ahead of time if necessary. Make the creamed corn according to the directions and then let it cool completely before covering and placing in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, you can heat it in the microwave, or in the oven (warm at 350° for about 20-30 minutes or until warmed all the way through).
The other thing you can do is make the creamed corn and then immediately after it is cooked, you can place it in a warm oven (with foil on top) or even in a slow cooker that is turned to Warm. You can keep it warmed up for 2-3 hours before serving. This works out well for parties or holidays (like Thanksgiving) where you need to make the dish earlier in the day and want to keep it warm until ready to serve.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CREAMED CORN?
Homemade Creamed Corn is the perfect side dish for any type of meat. It pairs perfectly with our perfect pork roast recipe or our slow cooker holiday ham. And it goes without saying that you have to have this creamed corn recipe as part of your Thanksgiving dinner! It goes perfectly with Slow Cooker Turkey Breast, Smoked Turkey or Classic Roasted Turkey.
MORE TASTY SIDE DISH RECIPES TO TRY SOON
- The Best Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Homemade Thanksgiving Stuffing
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Creamy Pomegranate Salad
- Maple Glazed Carrots
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon
- Pepper Jack Mac and Cheese
- Fruit Salad with Cool Whip
- Smoky Instant Pot Baked Beans
- Sesame Asparagus and Mushrooms
- Frito Corn Salad
- Peaches and Cream Salad
- Coconut Rice
- Creamy Corn and Garlic Risotto
- Easy Spanish Rice
Homemade Creamed Corn made with frozen corn and whipping cream. This creamed corn recipe is a delicious side dish that can be made in just a few minutes!