Enjoy this fabulous slow cooker creamy chicken enchilada soup as a tasty meal that’s easy to make and always a huge hit. This slow cooker soup recipe is sure to become an instant favorite in your house as it has in mine.
I got this recipe from my sister, and ever since it’s been one of our go-to recipes. Using rotisserie chicken and a few cans of corn and beans, we create a flavor-packed soup in the slower cooker that requires very minimal effort.
Enchilada Soup with Cream Cheese
One of the BEST ways to thicken up our soup and get it rich and creamy smooth is to use cream cheese. This literally helps to do so much, and if you have picky eaters, it can help to cut down on some of the spices in the soup if you accidentally make it a little too spicy.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It’s a minimalist’s dream! Made with minimal ingredients and steps, this is a practically effortless dinner dish that the whole family can enjoy.
- It’s great for leftover chicken! Use up any leftover cooked chicken that you may have on hand and toss it into this tasty enchilada soup. If you only have raw chicken, cut them into tenders and add them to the soup; then, towards the end (just before adding the cream cheese), remove them, shred them, and stir them back into the pot.
- This soup is versatile! Don’t feel obligated to keep the beans black and white. Kidney beans work great as well and you can really mix and match, so even if it’s a 3:1 bean ratio, it’s still going to be good. You can even use frozen corn instead of canned!
Chicken Breasts: You will need 4 large chicken breasts that have been cooked and shredded. I actually enjoy using the meat from a rotisserie chicken for this to make the prep even easier!
Salsa: Use 1 jar of green chili salsa to give our soup a more flavorful base. Note that I have used green enchilada sauce before, and it works great if you can’t find the salsa.
Garlic salt: To give the soup more flavor, stir in 1 teaspoon of garlic salt.
Corn: Add in 2 cans of drained corn for added color and bursts of sweetness in every bite.
Chicken broth: Instead of using water, we use chicken broth as the base of the soup to create a rich and flavorful bowl of heaven.
Beans: For nice color variety and added protein, we want to use 2 cans of white beans and 2 cans of black beans that have been drained and rinsed.
Cream cheese: Add in 2 8-ounce blocks of cream cheese to make this soup deliciously creamy.
How to Make Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
Add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker with the exception of the cream cheese (that’s for later).
Cook your soup on low heat for 4-6 hours.
Add in the cream cheese about 30-40 minutes before serving. This will give it just enough time to melt.
Stir well to combine all of the ingredients before serving.
Scoop and serve in bowls.
Top with tortilla strips, tomatoes, shredded cheese, avocados, etc.
What to serve with enchilada soup
This soup would be great served with any number of toppings, including sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced avocados, and more. Adding strips of tortilla chips is also a great idea. For side dishes, you can consider any of your favorite Mexican side dishes or keep it simple with just some nice green salad.
SLOW COOKER CREAMY CHICKEN ENCHILADA SOUP
- 4 large chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 jar green chili salsa (or 1 can green enchilada sauce)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cans corn, drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans white beans, drained
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bricks (8 ounces) cream cheese
- Combine all of the ingredients in a slow cooker, except for the cream cheese.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Add the cream cheese about 30-40 minutes before serving, giving it just enough time to melt into the soup.
- Top with tortilla strips, tomatoes, shredded cheese, avocados, etc. Enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How do I thicken creamy enchilada soup?
The soup may appear to have a thin broth while it is cooking, but you will notice that as the added cream cheese melts and gets stirred into the soup, the texture of the soup will actually thicken quite considerably. This is because cream cheese is a good thickener. If you want your soup to be less runny, you can omit some of the cream cheese.
Can I use red salsa instead?
Red salsa is usually reserved for pork or beef while green is for chicken, but you can choose whatever you want to make this soup fit your own tastes! Red salsa or red enchilada sauce instead of the green salsa we request will still make this soup turn out fabulous and awesome.
Can I use a different meat for this soup?
Absolutely! using leftover shredded pork or beef (from roasts) would be great, but you can just as easily use browned turkey or ground beef if you have it on hand. Even omitting the soup and just adding in more vegetables can make this a great vegetarian dish.
Check out these other great crockpot recipes you’ll enjoy!
- CROCK POT HONEY GARLIC CHICKEN THIGHS
- CROCKPOT SPAGHETTI SAUCE
- SLOW COOKER FRENCH ONION SOUP
- CROCKPOT CHICKEN TACO SOUP
- CROCKPOT SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP
- CROCKPOT CRANBERRY MEATBALLS
- CROCKPOT PULLED BBQ CHICKEN SANDWICHES
- EASY SLOW COOKER HAM AND BEANS SOUP
- SLOW COOKER BROWN SUGAR CINNAMON PORK ROAST
- SLOW COOKER CHICKEN ALFREDO SOUP
This slow cooker creamy chicken enchilada soup is so fabulous and tasty it’s easily become one of our favorites. Made with just a few ingredients it can quickly become a favorite in your home too!