Slow Cooker Poor Man’s Hamburger Stew is a hearty, delicious stew made with simple ingredients like ground beef, onions & potatoes. Comforting dinner perfect for cold nights!
Ground beef stew is also versatile, allowing for the addition of various vegetables and spices to suit individual tastes. This hamburger stew recipe creates a filling meal that is perfect for chilly evenings or when you need a quick and easy dinner option.
What is Poor Man’s Hamburger Stew?
Poor Man’s Hamburger Stew is a delicious and budget-friendly dish that has been a staple in many households for generations. This hearty stew is made with simple ingredients such as ground beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, and canned tomatoes, all cooked together in a slow cooker for several hours until the flavors have melded together.
It is believed this dish originated during the Great Depression when families had to stretch their food budgets as far as possible. It was a way to use up ingredients that were readily available and affordable, while still providing a filling meal for the whole family. Overall, Poor Man’s Hamburger Stew is a classic comfort food that is perfect for a cozy night in or a family dinner.
Why You Will Love This Easy Stew Recipe
- Affordable: This recipe uses simple and inexpensive ingredients that are easy to find at any grocery store. Ground beef, potatoes, carrots, and onions are the main ingredients, and you can customize it with your favorite vegetables or spices.
- Easy to Make: Simply brown the ground beef, chop the vegetables, and throw everything into the slow cooker. Let it cook for a few hours, and you’ll have a delicious and satisfying meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights.
- Comforting and Filling: This stew is the epitome of comfort food. It’s warm, hearty, and filling, making it the perfect meal for a cold winter day or when you need something to warm you up.
Crockpot Hamburger Stew Ingredients
Ground beef: For the protein in this dish, you need 1 pound of lean ground beef, browned and drained.
Potatoes: Use 3 russet potatoes, peel and chopped, to add some healthy carbs to this stew.
Carrots: Adding in 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped, is a great source of nutrients like potassium, antioxidants, and vitamin A.
Onion: To give this stew some strong flavor, add in 1 small onion, chopped.
Garlic: You will want to use 3 cloves of garlic, minced, for not only a great boost of flavor but also the immune boosting health benefits.
Beef broth: To achieve the perfect stew consistency, add 2 cups of beef broth.
Tomato paste: Help thicken this dish up by using one 6-oz can of tomato paste.
Diced tomatoes: Add even more delicious flavor by adding in one 14.5-oz can of petite diced tomatoes in juice.
Sugar: Sweeten this stew up ever so slightly by using 2 tsp. of sugar.
Italian seasoning: Use 2 tsp. of Italian seasoning to give this stew an earthy and peppery aroma and taste.
Garlic salt: This dish is loaded with amazing flavors, another one of them being 1 ½ tsp. of garlic salt.
Black pepper: Don’t skip this traditional seasoning, add in 1 tsp. of black pepper.
Onion powder: Add in 1 tsp. of onion powder for a bit more strong, sweet flavor.
Parsley: If desired, add a bit of parsley for garnish.
How to make Slow Cooker Poor Man’s Hamburger Stew
Get started by browning the ground beef in a large frying pan, on the stove, over medium heat. Drain grease when done and transfer the beef to the crockpot.
Then, peel and chop the potatoes into 1″ cubes. Also peel and dice the carrots and onion too. If you are using fresh garlic, mince that as well.
Proceed to add the chopped potatoes, carrots, onion, minced garlic, beef broth, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, sugar, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, black pepper, and onion powder into the slow cooker.
Give everything a good stir to combine well.
Continue to turn the crockpot on low and cook for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
Serve alone or over rice and enjoy!
Serving Suggestions for Crockpot Hamburger Stew
When serving the Slow Cooker Poor Man’s Hamburger Stew, it’s always nice to have some side dishes to complement the meal. Here are a few suggestions to consider:
- Bread: Serve the stew with some crusty bread or rolls to soak up all the delicious broth. A loaf of French bread or a batch of homemade biscuits would be perfect.
- Salad: A crisp green salad with a tangy vinaigrette dressing would be a refreshing contrast to the hearty stew. Consider a mix of lettuce, cucumber, and cherry tomatoes.
- Rice or Noodles: Serve the stew over a bed of rice or noodles for a filling and satisfying meal. Brown rice or egg noodles would be a great choice.
Overall, the Slow Cooker Poor Man’s Hamburger Stew is a versatile dish that can be served with a variety of side dishes. Experiment with different combinations to find what works best for you.
SLOW COOKER POOR MAN’S HAMBURGER STEW
- 1 lb lean ground beef browned and drained
- 3 russet potatoes peel and chopped
- 3 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Parsley for garnish
- Prep: Brown the ground beef in a large frying pan, on the stove, over medium heat. Drain grease and transfer the beef to the crockpot.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into 1" cubes. Also peel and dice the carrots and onion. If you are using fresh garlic, mince that as well.
- Assemble: Add the chopped potatoes, carrots, onion, minced garlic, beef broth, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, sugar, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, black pepper, and onion powder into the slow cooker. Stir to combine well.
- Cook: Turn the crockpot on low and cook for 6 hours or on high for4 hours, or until potatoes are tender. Serve alone or over rice and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
What additional vegetables could I add to this stew?
The vegetables listed in the recipe are a common stew staple, they can be eliminated or additional ones can be added. More great options would be canned corn, peas or even green beans. This stew is great because you can use whatever you have available and make a new version every time!
Can I use a pressure cooker to make poor man’s stew?
Yes, you can use a pressure cooker to make poor man’s stew. However, the cooking time and liquid amount may need to be adjusted to ensure the stew comes out properly. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cooking with a pressure cooker and to use caution when releasing the pressure.
Do I need to brown the ground beef before adding to the slow cooker?
While it is not necessary to brown the ground beef before putting it in the slow cooker, it is recommended to enhance the flavor and texture of the stew. Browning the beef before adding it to the slow cooker helps to caramelize the meat and add depth to the dish. However, if time is limited, the beef can be added directly to the slow cooker without browning.
How long is Crockpot Beef Stew good for?
Store any leftovers of Beef Stew in the refrigerator, transfer it to an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag. Label it with the date and store it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
If you want to store it for a longer period, freezing is the way to go. Allow the stew to cool down completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container or a resealable plastic bag. Label it with the date and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat the stew, simply thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat it on the stove or in the microwave until it’s heated through.
Check out more of our favorite Stew and Soup recipes here:
- CROCKPOT POTATO SOUP
- CREAMY TOMATO SOUP WITH TORTELLINI
- TORTILLA SOUP WITH BLACK BEANS
- COPYCAT CHICK-FIL-A CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- WISCONSIN CAULIFLOWER SOUP
- CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER
- LASAGNA SOUP
- SLOW COOKER FRENCH ONION SOUP
- OLIVE GARDEN CHICKEN GNOCCHI SOUP
- CHICKEN ALFREDO SOUP
- EASY PUMPKIN SOUP
- THREE CHEESE SOUP
Slow Cooker Poor Man’s Hamburger Stew a hearty and filling meal that the whole family will enjoy. This beef stew slow cooker recipe is an affordable dish that is easy to make and perfect for busy weeknights.