Lasagna Soup made with classic ingredients like rich tomato sauce, mozzarella & Parmesan, Italian sausage & more. Flavorful, hearty soup recipe with all the traditional lasagna flavors that everyone loves.
I love lasagna, so creating a soup that tastes just like it but is half the work is just a winning idea in my book. I love to serve this easy lasagna recipe during the fall and winter months when the weather is chilly. It goes so well with crusty French bread and together they make a hearty combination that is sure to warm you up from the inside out.
What is lasagna soup?
Lasagna is a layered dish containing a sauce (usually tomato based), pasta, meats, and cheeses. This soup is a combination of all of those elements but in a rich and flavorful tomato broth instead. I make this easy lasagna soup with spaghetti sauce to give us a simple base to branch off of. Then, with the other added ingredients it results in a fabulous dinner that makes a large helping so everyone can have second (you know you’ll want them!)
Lasagna soup ingredients
-Pasta sauce: You will need 1 24-ounce sized container of pasta sauce. Any brand or flavor will do. I like the garlic and parmesan flavored ones.
-Onion: Adding ⅔ cups of sweet onion into the soup will give us a great depth of flavor.
-Garlic: Use 2 teaspoons of minced garlic to really make this soup incredible.
-Bell pepper: Using 1 diced green bell pepper will give some great flavor and nice color contrast to every bowl.
-Beef broth: Use 2 14.5-ounce sized cans of beef broth to help thin out the base of the soup.
-Tomatoes: You will need 2 14.5-ounce sized cans of diced tomatoes for a well balanced soup.
-Mushrooms: Use 8 ounces of sliced fresh mushrooms for a wonderful smoky flavor for the soup.
-Meat: You will need 1 pound of ground Italian sausage that has been cooked and crumbled. Ground beef will also work.
-Salt: Use 1 teaspoon of salt to help enhance the flavors in this soup.
-Italian seasoning: You will need 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning for an appetizing flavor.
-Pasta: You need 3 cups of uncooked lasagna noodles broken up into small pieces. You can also use any other small type of pasta.
-Water: Adding in 2-3 cups of water will help you achieve a better soup consistency after the pasta has been cooked to prevent the soup from getting too thick as the pasta absorbs liquid.
-Cheeses: Use a combination of 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and ½ cup of parmesan cheese (both shredded) so that your soup really does taste like a cheesy lasagna.
How to make lasagna soup
Start by cooking the ground Italian sausage in a medium size skillet (or your chosen meat product), break into small pieces as you cook it. Drain and set aside.
Then, in a large stockpot combine the onion, minced garlic, and green bell pepper.
Next, add in about ½ of one can of beef broth and cook for about 7-8 minutes over medium heat.
After that, add in the remaining broth, pasta sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, and cooked ground sausage.
Heat until the soup is just boiling and then add in the salt, Italian seasoning, and uncooked pasta.
Reduce heat, cover the pot and let it simmer on low for 20 minutes.
Then, add in water until you have reached your desired consistency for the soup. Start with 1 cup, then 2, and a 3rd if you need it. You want it to be thick but not so much that it is like a stew.
Proceed to cook the soup for another 5 minutes to heat it back up well.
Lastly, when you serve up the soup into bowls sprinkle the cheese on top.
Serve warm and enjoy!
- 24 ounce pasta sauce any variety will do
- ⅔ cup diced sweet onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 29 ounce beef broth two 14.5 cans
- 29 ounce diced tomatoes two 14.5 cans, undrained
- 8 ounce sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 lb cooked Italian sausage- sliced and crumbled or ground beef
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 cups uncooked lasagna noodles
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Start by cooking the ground Italian sausage in a medium size skillet (or your chosen meat product), break into small pieces as you cook it. Drain and set aside.
- Then, in a large stockpot combine the onion, minced garlic, and green bell pepper.
- Next, add in about ½ of one can of beef broth and cook for about 7-8 minutes over medium heat.
- After that, add in the remaining broth, pasta sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, and cooked ground sausage.
- Heat until the soup is just boiling and then add in the salt, Italian seasoning, and uncooked pasta.
- Reduce heat, cover the pot and let it simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Then, add in water until you have reached your desired consistency for the soup. Start with 1 cup, then 2, and a 3rd if you need it. You want it to be thick but not so much that it is like a stew.
- Proceed to cook the soup for another 5 minutes to heat it back up well.
- Lastly, when you serve up the soup into bowls sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Can I add in other ingredients?
Yes, this soup can definitely handle the addition of added meats or veggies. So if you want to load it up and make it even more filling, go for it. Some readers have doubled the meat, added in more bell pepper, onion or added olives and had great success.
How long is leftover Lasagna Soup good for?
This soup can last about 3-5 days in the fridge. Reheat it in a small sauce pan or even in the microwave, left overs will be amazing!
Can I freeze left over soup?
Stored in an airtight container this soup would be good for 2-3 months in the freezer. If you plan on making this a freezer meal in advance, then I recommend cooking noodles separately and adding them to individual bowls as you serve the soup so that they don’t become too mushy from being frozen.
Check out these other great soup recipes
- ZUCCHINI SAUSAGE SOUP
- CHEESY BROCCOLI POTATO SOUP
- CROCKPOT CHICKEN TACO SOUP
- CHEESY TOMATO SOUP
- CROCKPOT HAM AND BEAN SOUP
- SLOW COOKER CHICKEN ALFREDO SOUP
- BEST TOMATO BASIL SOUP
- CREAMY CHICKEN WILD RICE SOUP
- CREAMY VEGETABLE SOUP
- CLASSIC CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
- FRENCH ONION TOMATO SOUP
- CHICKEN ALFREDO SOUP
- LEMON CHICKEN VEGETABLE SOUP
- CHILLED PEACH SOUP
This is the best lasagna soup recipe and one you’ll love for years to come. Enjoy it with your family soon to warm up during these cold and chilly days.
Your instructions do not say when to add the pasta sauce.
Fixed it- I apologize! Sometimes I cook faster than I type! 😉
FYI, the second recipe (print version) has not been updated to reflect the pasta sauce.
This was wonderful. I added the pasta sauce at the end and let simmer for about 15 minutes, more. I like lots of meat in my recipes so I used ground beef and 1 lb of Italian style breakfast sausage browned drained grease and added the green pepper, onion and garlic to meat to finish cooking meat and then added broth and other ingredients. Everyone loved. Great recipe and I will be making it again. Thanks
I’m so glad you liked it!!