Creamy Vegetable Soup is simply made in 30 minutes or less! This Vegetable Soup recipe is a flavorful and comforting soup, it is perfect for cold nights in the fall and winter.
This Creamy Vegetable Soup recipe is one of my favorite quick and easy weeknight meals. There is nothing better than a bowl of hot soup during the cold winter months. This meatless soup is versatile, delicious and everyone enjoys it.
Tips for making a delicious Creamy Vegetable Soup
It starts with the veggies! My favorite vegetables to put in vegetable soup are broccoli, carrots and peas. However I have also added celery, green beans, corn and cauliflower to mine and it works out well. I’m a big fan of using what you have on hand, so raid the fridge and see what you have!
Second trick is finding the right seasoning. I kept this recipe very simple and added sage, which is my favorite vegetable soup seasoning, and some herb-blend seasoning. You can find this blend at most every grocery store, available from a variety of brands. Choose your favorite!
Lastly, bring the heat! This soup has just enough flavor to be comforting and interesting, but sometimes it is nice to kick things up a notch! Try adding in some hot sauce or spicy seasonings like roasted red pepper flakes. Depending on your heat preference, add a little and taste test as you go.
Need dinner fast? Here are some soup hacks to help make this recipe come together fast!
- Use frozen vegetables that steam in the bag. You will need two 12-oz bags. Microwave them separately for 5 minutes each, then add them to the soup, reducing the cooking time by half in each step.
- Don’t like frozen vegetables? Use fresh, but do all the chopping and cutting the night before. That way, you do not have to take the time the night dinner is served! You can also steam the fresh vegetables in the microwave to cut down on time. Simply put them in a glass or ceramic bowl with 3 TBSP water. Cover and microwave for 5-7 minutes. Then add them to the recipe and decrease the cooking time by half in each step.
- Don’t even want to bother steaming vegetables? Use canned vegetables! No microwaving necessary and you can still decrease the cooking time by half.
Creamy Vegetable Soup ingredients:
-Vegetables: You will need 5 cups of chopped/diced fresh or frozen vegetables. Some ideas include: broccoli, carrots, peas, celery, green beans, corn, whatever your preference is or whatever you have on hand.
-Butter: You need 3 TBSP butter to add a wonderful rich taste.
-White onion: You will need ½ cup diced onion, this brings the soup fantastic flavoring.
-Flour: Use ¼ cup of flour for just the right consistency to the soup.
-Sage: You need 1 tsp of sage for a lovely flavor. This is optional, it is my favorite and how I made this recipe. Feel free to leave out if you don’t have this available.
-Seasoning: Use ½ tsp herb-blend all-purpose seasoning, this adds a great variety of flavors and really enhances the taste.
-Salt: You need 1 tsp salt for additional delicious flavor.
-Pepper: Add a little kick with ½ tsp of pepper.
-Broth: You need 4 ½ cups of broth for the base of this soup. Choose the broth you have on hand or one your family prefers, for a meatless meal stick with the vegetable broth. But really, any broth will result in a tasty soup.
-Milk: Using 1 ½ cups milk or a 12 oz can of evaporated milk will give this soup a beautifully creamy texture.
-Cheese: Add ½ cup of Parmesan cheese for added yummy goodness. Because, you know, cheese.
-Mashed Potato Flakes: If desired, use ¼ cup instant mashed potato flakes, this is completely optional. It beefs up the soup to have a bit more hearty taste and texture.
Step by step on how to make Creamy Vegetable Soup
Start by melt butter in a medium saucepan.
Next, add the onion, seasonings, and flour. Stir to combine.
Then, whisk in 1 cup of broth. Heat until bubbling, then add the vegetables and another 2 cups of broth.
Cover and cook on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
Once that is complete, add in remaining 1 1/2 cups of broth, milk and potato flakes (if desired). Stir until well combined.
Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
CREAMY VEGETABLE SOUP
- 5 cups chopped/ diced fresh or frozen vegetables- broccoli carrots, peas, celery, green beans, corn, etc
- 4 ½ cups broth
- 1 ½ cups milk or a 12 oz can of evaporated milk
- ½ cup diced onion
- 3 TBSP butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp sage
- ½ tsp herb-blend all-purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup instant mashed potato flakes optional
- Start by melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Next, add the onion, seasonings, and flour. Stir to combine.
- Then, whisk in 1 cup of broth. Heat until bubbling, then add the vegetables and another 2 cups of broth. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Once that is complete, add in remaining 1 1/2 cups of broth, milk and potato flakes (if desired). Stir until well combined.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How can you freeze Creamy Vegetable Soup?
Yes, you can freeze Creamy Vegetable Chowder in an airtight container for up to 3 months. When you defrost the soup, you can thaw fully on the counter top or you can microwave on defrost. Use a whisk to gently stir the liquid in the soup. Being as it contains dairy, when it’s defrosted, the soup will need to be agitated to regain the creamy texture.
Can you add meat to vegetable soup?
You can add a variety of meat to this Creamy Vegetable Soup. The most obvious choice of meat that would go well is cooked, roasted chicken. Just dice about 2 cups and add it to the soup. If you don’t want to add chicken, you can add turkey or ground turkey instead. Meatballs would also be a tasty choice. And BACON is always a good idea!
Like this Creamy Vegetable Soup? Here are more easy soup recipes to try:
- Best Ever Chicken & Dumplings
- The Best Crockpot Beef Stew
- Zuppa Toscana
- Summer Vegetable Stew
- Chicken Alfredo Soup
Creamy Vegetable Soup made easy in 30 minutes or less! Simple, flavorful & comforting vegetable soup recipe perfect for cold nights. Time saving tips too!