Copycat Chick-fil-A Mac and Cheese is super creamy & cheesy, just like the original! Easy macaroni and cheese recipe made at home with common ingredients. It’s our pleasure!
Have you tried Chick Fil a’s Mac & Cheese? It is amazing! Now you can make it at home with this Chick Fil a Copycat Mac & Cheese. Lots of different cheeses come together in an easy sauce to make this flavorful mac & cheese. Of course, the best part is that browned cheesy top!
The BEST Chick-Fil-a Mac and Cheese Recipe
There are a lot of mac and cheese recipes out there, and while we do have a lot of them here on this website, this chick-fil-a version is unlike any other. From the cooked noodles to the several types of cheeses, this is a stand-alone recipe that others can’t hold a candle to in comparison. You’re going to love it and all of its unique quirks because the results are simply out of this world good.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Copycats are as close to the classic as you can get. Without actually going and getting the real deal, this copycat recipe for chicken fil a mac and cheese will give you as close to the desired results as you’re looking for without actually falling short of expectations.
- The steps are simple. The sauce is cooked up while the noodles are boiling and nothing in this recipe is too hard or difficult, but it can require a bit of patience as you whisk the sauce and wait on the noodles to cook.
- One batch makes a lot of servings. This is a great recipe to make for your next party or potluck because one batch makes a great deal of mac and cheese that is perfect for sharing with friends and family. Of course, it also works as a tasty dish to keep at home, so you increase the chance of leftovers for the following day.
Chick-Fil-a Mac n Cheese Ingredients
Noodles: You will need 1 pound of elbow noodles (macaroni) noodles to make this a traditional mac and cheese.
Butter: Use 1/4 cup of butter (half a stick) to make the roux.
Flour: You will need 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour to help thicken the cheesy mixture.
Salt: Add in 1 teaspoon of salt to enhance the flavors in this cheese sauce well.
Paprika: For added color and a little flavor, add in 1/8 teaspoon of ground paprika. This is about 1 pinch.
Milk: Use 2 cups of whole milk for the base of the cheese sauce. This will make it creamy and smooth. Please do not use anything less than whole milk to ensure a creamy mac & cheese.
Egg: Adding in 1 egg yolk really elevates this cheese sauce to the next level by adding in a lot of richness and color.
Cheeses: You will need 8 slices of American cheese, 16 ounces of freshly grated extra sharp cheddar cheese, and 1 cup of shredded Italian blended cheese, but the cheese will be divided up throughout the steps.
How to Make Copycat Chick-Fil-A Mac and Cheese
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
Add in the macaroni noodles and let boil for 20 minutes. Yes, 20 minutes. While I realize that this goes against everything that you know about cooking noodles, this is very important! The longer boiling time will give you super creamy results as the noodles won’t absorb too much of the cheese sauce & turn the noodles dry.
Drain the noodles and set them aside until needed.
Make cheese sauce
While the noodles are boiling, prepare the cheese sauce.
In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter.
Whisk in the flour, salt, and paprika, and constantly stir until combined.
Slowly add in the milk, a little at a time, until fully combined.
Continue to whisk and cook for another minute or two or until thickened.
Temper the egg yolk by placing the egg yolk into a bowl. Add a spoonful of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk and whisk together immediately to combine. Wait a minute, and then do it again.
Add the egg yolk mixture to the milk mixture in the pot and whisk in to combine.
Reduce the heat to low and start slowly adding in the cheeses.
Tear the American cheese into pieces and add it to the pot.
Add in half of the cheddar cheese and all of the Italian cheese blend.
Whisk together to combine until the cheese has melted. This could take about 10-12 minutes of constant whisking. You can tell that the cheese has been fully incorporated when you lift the whisk, and the melted cheese is not pulling away from the sauce.
After all of the cheese has melted into the sauce, stir in the noodles.
Stir gently until everything is incorporated.
Place the macaroni and cheese into a 9×13 baking dish and top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
Place under the broiler in the oven until the cheese top has just browned. do not take your eyes off of the dish, or else it will burn!
Remove from broiler and let cool slightly before serving.
Tips for Making your Mac and Cheese Like Chick-Fil-a
Chick-Fil-a likes to use a blend of parmesan cheese and Romano cheese which is why we choose to use Italian cheese blends that already have these two kinds of cheese in them. And while you can cut time by using already shredded cheddar cheese, I do recommend grating it by hand for the best results because it will give you a much smoother sauce and a better top layer. Pre-shredded cheese has anti-caking agents on it, which keep it from smoothly melting and combining fully. Enjoy!
Copycat Chick Fil a Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground paprika
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 8 slices American cheese
- 16 ounces freshly grated extra sharp cheddar divided
- 1 cup italian blend cheese shredded
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni noodles and boil for a full 20 minutes. (No that is not a typo, cook this pasta for 20 minutes!) Drain the macaroni and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce. In a large pot over medium heat melt your butter. Whisk in the flour, salt and paprika, stirring constantly. Add your milk a little at a time, whisking it in completely before adding more. Once all the milk has been added, whisk for 1-2 minutes until the sauce is thick.
- Temper the egg yolk by adding a spoonful of the hot milk mixture to the egg yolk and immediately whisk together. Wait a minute and repeat this same process. Then, add the egg yolk mixture to the pot of the milk mixture and whisk in.
- Reduce the heat to low and begin to add your cheese. Tear the american cheese into pieces and add to the pot. Add in half of the cheddar and all of the italian blend. Whisk to combine and melt the cheeses consistently, until all the cheese is incorporated into the milk mixture. This might take 10-12 minutes of constant whisking. You can tell that it’s fully incorporated when you lift the whisk and melted cheese is not pulling away from the sauce.
- When the cheese is all melted and smooth add in the noodles. Stir gently until everything is combined.
- Place the macaroni and cheese in a 9×13 dish. Top the macaroni and cheese with the other half of the cheddar cheese. Place under the broiler of your oven until just browned. Do not take your eyes off of it or it will burn! Remove from the oven, cool slightly and serve. Enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Can I make macaroni and cheese in advance?
Yes, you can make this copycat mac and cheese in advance. Just keep it in a foil-topped baking dish and store it in the fridge until ready to eat. Then place it in the oven at 350 degrees F until the cheesy noodles are fully warmed through and the top is bubbly and warm (about 30-40 minutes).
How long is leftover mac and cheese good for?
You can keep your leftover mac and cheese in an airtight or tightly sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Any longer than that and the noodles may become dried out.
Can I freeze creamy mac and cheese for later?
Yes, this would make a great freezer meal for later. Simply place it into a disposable baking dish or a freezer-friendly baking dish, and then seal it well to make it airtight. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before heating in the oven until warmed through. Serve warm and enjoy.
Looking for more pasta recipes? We’ve got you covered!
- PIZZA PASTA CASSEROLE
- SPINACH CHICKEN PASTA SALAD
- RED WHITE AND BLUE PASTA SALAD
- CHICKEN BACON RANCH PASTA
- CREAMY GARLIC PARMESAN PASTA
- LASAGNA SOUP
- TORTELLINI PRIMAVERA
- HOMEMADE CREAM CHEESE ALFREDO SAUCE
- EASY CHICKEN MANICOTTI
- CHICKEN ALFREDO SOUP
- COLD CHICKEN PASTA SALAD WITH MAYO
- TACO STUFFED PASTA SHELLS
- CREAMY LEMON CHICKEN PASTA
This chick fil a mac and cheese copycat recipe is one to keep close by for all of those occasions when you want something creamy, cheesy, and too good to resist. Made in your own kitchen, you can skip the takeout lines and pile your plates as high as you want.
Leave a Reply