Creamy Garlic Parmesan Pasta made with Parmesan, garlic, butter, broth & simple seasonings for an easy, flavorful pasta dinner. This creamy parmesan pasta sauce is made from scratch and has the wonderful flavors of cheese and garlic in every bite.
Making this creamy garlic pasta sauce is a lot easier than you may think and it does not require very many ingredients either. This parmesan pasta is packed with so many delicious flavors, the rich butter and creamy texture make for a delightful meal every time.
Creamy Cheesy Garlic Pasta
This pasta recipe is a family favorite and it is one of my favorites because it is so quick and easy to throw together. In about the same amount of time that it takes to boil and cook the noodles, we make a wonderful garlic parmesan cream sauce for pasta in a skillet on the side. So in about 15 minutes from start to finish we have a full pot of delicious creamy pasta ready for dinner. If you add in some chicken for a fuller meal or serve it up with some simple vegetables, it is sure to be a huge hit either way! Such a great meal for any busy night of the week.
Garlic Parmesan Pasta Ingredients
-Pasta: You will need 1 16-ounce box of Rotini pasta. You can use any other dry pasta shells of your choice like, penne, or ziti.
-Butter: Use ¼ cup of butter, this is half a stick. You can use salted or unsalted butter depending on what you have on hand, either way it will be delicious.
-Garlic: Use 2-3 cloves of minced garlic to make this pasta taste incredible, this equates to 1 tsp each garlic clove. So if you are using a pre-minced packaged garlic you can use between 2-3 tsp depending on your garlic preference.
-Flour: You will need ¼ cup of all-purpose flour to thicken up the sauce up nicely.
-Chicken broth: Use ¾ cups of chicken broth to help flavor the sauce and provide a great consistency too. Using low sodium options can be a bit healthier option.
-Milk: Adding in ¾ cups of milk will make the sauce richer and creamier.
-Salt: Use ½ teaspoon of salt to enhance the flavors in this sauce.
-Pepper: You will need ½ teaspoon of ground pepper for this recipe.
-Smoked paprika: To add a little more depth of flavor add in ¼ teaspoon of smoked paprika.
-Parmesan: You will need 1 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese to make this pasta taste incredible.
How to Make Creamy Garlic Parmesan Pasta
Prepare the pasta
Get the pasta cooking according to the package directions. You can get this process started while you are making the sauce or you can do each thing at a time.
When pasta is done cooking, drain and set aside.
Next, in a large 12 inch skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
Once melted, add in the minced garlic and stir for one minute until fragrant.
Making the roux
After that, whisk in the flour until it creates a thick paste.
The, add in the chicken broth, a little at a time, while whisking continuously.
Next, pour in the milk and continue to whisk until smooth.
Proceed to whisk in the salt, pepper, and smoked paprika until well combined.
Cook on medium to low heat for about 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened up a bit.
Now, add the parmesan cheese and whisk until cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth and lump free.
Remove the skillet and sauce from the heat.
Once the sauce is ready, add your cooked pasta to the pan, a little at a time, mixing well after each addition to make sure that the pasta is evenly coated.
Serve fresh and enjoy!
CREAMY GARLIC PARMESAN PASTA
- 16 oz pasta shells 16 oz. Rotini pasta (you could use shells, penne, ziti,…)
- ¼ cup butter ½ a stick
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced (I press them with garlic press but you can also mince them)
- ¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour you can use bleached flour as well
- ¾ cup chicken broth I used low sodium for a bit healthier option
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan
Prepare the pasta
- Get the pasta cooking according to the package directions. You can get this process started while you are making the sauce or you can do each thing at a time.
- When pasta is done cooking, drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, or large saucepan (I used a 12 inch pan), melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the garlic. Stir for 1 minute.
Making the roux
- After that, whisk in the flour until it creates a thick paste.
- The, add in the chicken broth, a little at a time, while whisking continuously.
- Next, pour in the milk and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Proceed to whisk in the salt, pepper, and smoked paprika until well combined.
- Cook on medium to low heat for about5 minutes or until sauce has thickened up a bit.
- Now, add the parmesan cheese and whisk until cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth and lump free.
- Remove the skillet and sauce from the heat.
- Once the sauce is ready, add your cooked pasta to the pan, a little at a time, mixing well after each addition to make sure that the pasta is evenly coated.
- Serve fresh and enjoy!
What meats go well with garlic pasta?
This pasta recipe goes wonderfully with chicken breasts or even cooked sausage but it’s pretty versatile and can be served up with just about anything. This pasta recipe is the perfect recipe to be adapted with what ingredients you have available. It is the perfect complement to any protein.
How long will this pasta dish last in the fridge?
You can store and enjoy this dish for 2-5 days if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat you can put it in the microwave for 45-60 seconds, depending on the serving size. Or you can put it in a pan and reheat it on the stove, maybe even add a little more milk and cheese to freshen up a little bit. Who doesn’t love more cheese anyway? With more milk you might want to add a little more salt and pepper to it too, a little at a time as to not over season.
How to add garlic to pasta
The garlic taste is a complement but not overpowering. I take a garlic press and press my garlic cloves ahead of time. This step is important as you don’t want to burn your garlic when warming them up in the butter. Doing it this way it will season the butter perfectly, then will have a nice, subtle garlic taste throughout the dish.
If everyone who will eat the dish loves garlic flavor, you can easily add 3 cloves of garlic. I also cut my garlic in half before pressing and removing the “vein” in the middle.
For example, I made the dish for my family a few times. I added 2 medium-size cloves. For us, it was enough, but my husband loves garlic, so he added some garlic powder to his plate.
Need more delicious pasta dinner recipes? Check out these wonderful family-meals
- CHICKEN PASTA SALAD
- FIESTA RANCH CHICKEN PASTA SALAD
- SAUSAGE PEPPER PASTA
- PIZZA PASTA SALAD
- MEXICAN CHICKEN ALFREDO PASTA BAKE
- CREAMY LEMON CHICKEN PASTA
- PASTA W/ GARLIC ROASTED VEGETABLES & (THE EASIEST) CREAM SAUCE (EVER)!
- TACO STUFFED PASTA SHELLS
- GRILLED ITALIAN CHICKEN & PASTA
- PASTA FAGIOLI RECIPE
- SPINACH CHICKEN PASTA SALAD
With this delicious made from scratch garlic parmesan sauce combined with rotini pasta, every bite is a delicious blend of flavors. This creamy garlic parmesan pasta recipe is an instant family favorite and you’ll soon want to enjoy it often!