Texas Trash Bean Dip is a flavorful dip recipe with refried beans, cream cheese, taco seasoning & cheese! This layered bean dip is a hearty appetizer with great Tex-Mex flavor that everyone loves!
Making this texas bean dip is so simple, the prep work is minimal and in just 30 minutes you will have an ooey-gooey cheesy bean dip that everyone will devour! This texas warm bean dip is filled with multiple types of cheese and refried beans, add some additional toppings and you practically have a meal!
What is Texas Trash Bean Dip?
Honestly, it is unclear where the name “Texas Trash Bean Dip” came from or why it is called this. It could be because you take a bunch of ingredients and just dump them in to a baking dish to create it. That is my guess and what I’m sticking to!
I personally love this dip and so does my family, we make it on major game days when we are in the mood for a savory and filling treat. It is fast and easy to whip up, it bakes while I prepare other dishes or I kick back, relax and watch the game. The multiple types of cheese in this dip create a wonderful and creamy dish that is just so incredibly tasty.
Why we think you should try this dip today!
If you are not already convinced to try this amazing appetizer, here are a few reasons why we think you should soon!
- Only 6 simple ingredients! The great thing about this recipe is that there are minimal ingredients, which means if you have a craving for it you can whip it up easily. Most of the ingredients are probably already in your kitchen, and if not, a quick and inexpensive trip to the store is all that is needed!
- SO delicious! I cannot say enough good things about this dip, it might have the word “trash” in the title but it is anything but. You really can’t go wrong with three types of cheeses and refried beans!
- Versatile recipe. What I love about this bean dip recipe is that you can play around with the ingredients. If you want to switch up the types of cheeses or even add ground beef, it turns out incredibly delicious every time. You can add additional toppings too that kick it up a notch too!
Texas Trash Bean Dip Ingredients
Cream cheese: You will need 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened, to give this dip a wonderful creamy texture.
Sour cream: Using 1 cup sour cream is a perfect addition to this amazing dip recipe.
Refried beans: The base of this dip is 32 ounces (2 cans) of refried beans.
Taco seasoning: Adding in 1 1-ounce package of taco seasoning will give this dip a tasty flavor and zing!
Cheese: You need 2 cups of each cheddar cheese and Monterey jack cheese, shredded, to create a nice cheesy dip.
Optional ingredients: If you want to add some toppings to this dip after it is baked, here are a few delicious options that will take amazing: Avocado, diced tomato, or sliced in half black olives.
Tortilla chips: To serve with this yummy dip you will also want your favorite bag of tortilla chips.
Easy step by step on how to make Texas Trash Bean Dip
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
Also, spray a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Then, in a large bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese and sour cream.
Next, add in the two cans of refried beans and stir until well combined.
Now pour in the taco seasoning and stir again to combine.
Proceed to spread the bean mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Lastly, sprinkle the top of the bean dip with both cheeses. Add one on top of the other or combine them, no matter how you do it the results will be amazing.
Put the bean dip in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese in melted and slightly browned.
When done baking, if desired, top with chopped avocado pieces, diced tomatoes, or halved black olives, to make it more of a 7-ish-layer dip.
Serve with tortilla chips or even Fritos (my personal favorite chip option) and enjoy!
Texas Trash Bean Dip
- 8 oz Cream Cheese softened
- 1 cup Sour cream
- 32 oz Refried beans 2 16-oz cans
- 1 oz package of Taco Seasoning
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cups Monterey jack cheese shredded
- Tortilla chips or Frito chips
- Optional ingredients: Avocado, diced tomato, or sliced in half black olives.
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese and sour cream.
- Next, add in the two cans of refried beans and stir until well combined.
- Now pour in the taco seasoning and stir again to combine.
- Proceed to spread the bean mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Lastly, sprinkle the top of the bean dip with both cheeses. Add one on top of the other or combine them, no matter how you do it the results will be amazing.
- Put the bean dip in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese in melted and slightly browned.
- When done baking, if desired, top with chopped avocado pieces, diced tomatoes, or halved black olives, to make it more of a 7-ish-layer dip. Serve with tortilla chips or even Fritos (my personal favorite chip option) and enjoy!
How long will this bean dip last for?
This amazing dish will last in the refrigerator for 3-5 days, but I doubt there will ever be any left overs to save! It should be stored in an airtight container as well.
How do you make a smooth cream cheese dip?
The key to making the cream cheese dip smooth is to make sure that the cream cheese is completely softened. Room temperature is optimal, but if you are in a hurry, you can place cold cream cheese in the microwave. Microwave at 10-second intervals, checking in between to make sure that the cream cheese isn’t melting or getting too hot. Continue to stir the cream cheese in between each interval until you get a smooth, creamy texture.
Can you make bean dip in the microwave?
While the original recipe is baked in the oven, you can speed it up by using the microwave. Mix the first four ingredients together and then place in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave for about 2-3 minutes and then sprinkle the cheeses on top. You can microwave for another 30 seconds to melt the cheese, but I prefer to place the dish in the oven to broil the cheese. Totally up to you!
Need more ideas for appetizers? Try these!
- The Best Chicken Tenders appetizer
- Bacon Avocado Deviled Eggs appetizer
- Cheesy Meatball Bites appetizer
- Pizza Pinwheels appetizer
- Ranch Chicken Bacon Kabob appetizer
- Best Meatball and Lil Smokies appetizer
- Quick & Easy Chicken Salad appetizer recipe
- Baked Bacon Meatball appetizer
- Best cheese Fondue appetizer
- Ranch Sausage Rolls appetizer
- Homemade Nacho Cheese recipe
- Best Texas Caviar appetizer recipe
- Honey Glazed Chicken Wings Recipe
Texas Trash Bean Dip is a fantastic appetizer or snack made with only 6 simple ingredients! This layered bean dip is a filling dish that is great for a large crowd!