Peanut Butter Banana Bars are packed with bananas, peanut butter & chocolate chips. Banana Bars are the perfect thing to make with ripe bananas; my family goes crazy over them!
These peanut butter banana bread bars are great any time of day, for breakfast, lunch, a snack or even after dinner treat! Make these chocolate chip banana bars to use up your ripe bananas you’ve got sitting on the counter… you’ll love them!
Banana Bar recipes for the win!
These bars are so tasty and filling, your whole family is sure to love them. They have a ton of bananas in them which is just one reason why we enjoy these so much. I like to bake a batch, cut them into squares and freeze them individually for school lunches, or when we are on-the-go.
This recipe is a variation on our very popular recipe, Chocolate Chip Banana Bars. The addition of peanut butter in this recipe takes this treat to the next level! It blends with the other flavors nicely and adds a great protein boost. The texture of the bars is still light and the chocolate chips provide just enough sweetness to make them so delicious.
Why you’ll love this easy banana bars recipe
- Great on-the-go snack. I like to make a batch, then cool, cut and freeze in individual baggies. Since they are filling, they make a wonderful snack, breakfast or school lunch addition.
- Use up ripe bananas. The most common go-to for ripe bananas is banana bread but turning them into other recipes (like these bars) is always a welcomed change of pace.
- Make them healthier. Swap out half the flour for whole wheat and enjoy this recipe in a slightly healthier way without removing any of the great flavors.
PB Banana Bars Ingredients
Bananas: You will need 5 very ripe bananas, this is equal to about 1 ⅔ cups of mashed bananas.
Brown sugar: For a wonderful depth of flavor and sweetness, add in ⅔ cups of brown sugar.
Oil: You will need ¼ cup of oil for these bars so that they stay nice and moist. I used coconut oil, but you can use canola or vegetable oil.
Peanut butter: Add in ½ cup of creamy peanut butter for more amazing flavor and texture.
Eggs: 2 eggs will bind the batter together well so that the bars don’t crumble when sliced.
Vanilla extract: Use 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to enhance the amazing flavors in this bread recipe.
Flour: You will need 1 ¾ cups of flour for the structural base of this recipe. I regularly swap out all-purpose flour for whole wheat for a healthier version.
Baking soda: To help the banana bars puff up as they bake, you will need 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
Salt: You need ½ teaspoon of salt to help balance the flavors in the dough.
Chocolate chips: For added deliciousness, you can add in ½ cup of chocolate chips. We love to use mini chocolate chips so that there is more chocolate in every slice. This amount will be divided between the batter and the topping.
How to make Peanut Butter Banana Bars
Get started by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Then, spray a 15×10.5″ pan with non-stick spray, set aside.
Next, peel the bananas and mash well. After that, add in the brown sugar, oil, peanut butter, eggs and vanilla extract, stir until ingredients are combined.
Then, add the dry ingredients, the flour, baking soda, and salt and stir again to combine.
Last, fold in ½ of the chocolate chips until just combined.
Proceed to spread the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
Place the baking pan in the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cut and Serve
Let the bread cool completely for about 15-20 minutes and then cut into squares.
Serve immediately or save for later, either way, enjoy!
PEANUT BUTTER BANANA BARS
- 5 very ripe bananas about 1 ⅔ cup
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup oil any type- I used coconut oil.
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¾ cup flour I regularly swap out all-purpose flour for whole wheat.
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips divided
- Prep: Get started by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Then, spray a 15×10.5″ pan with non-stick spray, set aside.
- Batter: Next, peel the bananas and mash well in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the brown sugar, oil, peanut butter, eggs and vanilla extract, until the ingredients are combined.
- Then, add the dry ingredients: the flour, baking soda, and salt and stir again to combine.
- Last, fold in 1/2 of the chocolate chips until just combined.
- Bake: Proceed to spread the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top. Place the baking pan in the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cut and Serve: Let the bread cool completely for about 15-20 minutes and then cut into squares. Serve immediately or save for later, either way, enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Are bananas and peanut butter good for you?
The combination of peanut butter and bananas is a wonderful addition to your diet. Combined, peanut butter and bananas are a great source of protein and fiber. They also contain certain vitamins and minerals that are good for your health, such as potassium and iron. See recipe card for full nutritional information.
How long are banana bars good for?
These banana bars can be kept stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 3 months. The bars can be kept at room temperature, but I find they last longer if stored in the fridge.
Can I use a 9×13 baking dish?
Yes, absolutely! The bake time will be a little longer (about 5 minutes or so) because the pan is deeper. So keep that in mind.
Like the Peanut Butter Banana combination? Try more here:
- Creamy Peanut Butter Dip
- Banana Cream Cookies
- Banana Cinnamon Breakfast Cake
- No-Bake Peanut Butter cookies
- Easy Baked Oatmeal Cups
For more Bar Recipes, check out these other great recipes:
- PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE BARS
- OATMEAL COOKIE BROWNIE BARS
- PEANUT BUTTER BROWNIES WITH BOX MIX
- BLUEBERRY PIE BARS
- BLUEBERRY CRUMB BARS
- BERRY LEMON BARS
- BAKED S’MORES BARS
- OREO MAGIC COOKIE BARS
- NO BAKE S’MORES BARS
- RASPBERRY OATMEAL BARS
Peanut Butter Banana Bars are loaded with great ingredients like peanut butter, bananas, and chocolate chips. This banana peanut butter bread is a filling, sweet, & OH SO satisfying.