Oreo Magic Cookie Bars are loaded with Oreos, M&Ms, butterscotch chips & chocolate! These 7 layer cookie bars made with Oreos and M&M’s for a fun twist on a classic dessert!
This Magic Cookie Bar recipe is so simple to make. Just grab a mixing bowl and a whisk to get yourself started on these easy Oreo Cookie Bars. The crunchy Oreo pieces, soft white chocolate chips, delightful chocolate chips, and tasty butterscotch chips are all sprinkled over the top along with delicious candy M & M’s. Every bite of these magic cookie bars with sweetened condensed milk is truly a chocolate-lovers dream come true.
What makes them magic cookie bars?
The magic cookie bars are created in many layers, and they are so fabulously delicious. This recipe comes together like magic, because the condensed milk magically holds the layers together. That and these treats always disappear quickly, they are also incredibly fun and easy to make.
These are great summer treats for making for large crowds, they can be a grab and go treat and the variations are endless. Do not feel locked into just the ingredients we have listed below, you can use whatever yummy ingredients you have on hand or whatever candies you and your family prefer.
Oreo 7 Layer magic bars Ingredients:
-Oreos: You will need 4 cups worth of crushed Oreo cookies for the crust. You will also need some for the toppings, save some for that!
-Butter: Use ¾ cups of melted butter to help bind the cookies for the crust.
-Salt: Use ½ teaspoon to help bring out the flavors of the crust.
-Condensed milk: You will need one 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk to hold all the delicious layers together.
-Oreos: You will need another 1 ¾ cups of chopped Oreo pieces for the yummy bar toppings.
-Chocolate chips: You’ll use 3 different types of chocolate chips for these bars. Use 1 cup of chocolate chips, ½ cup of white chocolate chips & ¼ cup of butterscotch chips.
-M&Ms: You will want 1 cup of M & M’s for a fun pop of color on this magic bar.
Step by step on how to make Oreo Magic Cookie Bars
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Then line the inside of an 8 x 10 baking dish with parchment paper to make it easier to remove the cookies later. Alternatively, you can spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray if you prefer.
Making the crust
In a food processor crush the 4 cups worth of Oreo’s for the base of the crust. If you do not have a food processor you can put the Oreo’s in a zip locked bag and use a rolling pin to crush them. Whatever way you accomplish this is fine, you want the Oreo’s crushed to a small fine texture.
Then, in a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the crushed Oreos, melted butter, and salt. You want your crust base to look like wet sand.
Next you will press the crust into the bottom of your prepared baking dish.
Assemble the magic!
Now it is time to pour the can of sweetened condensed milk over the top of the crust and spread it out to the edges. This layer is going to be what binds all your toppings together to create the magic part of this bar.
Then you will start to evenly sprinkle the remaining ingredients over the condensed milk. I like to start with the crushed Oreo’s, then the chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and finally the M & M’s.
Some alternate fun toppings you can use are any type of nut. I’m partial to walnuts and pecans. What is it about nuts that make a cookie so much better? You can also add sweetened coconut flakes, that would really up the ante on these bars. Also, if you do use M & M’s, using the mini version would be a fun twist on this candy too.
Place the pan into the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes.
Once baked, remove from the oven and place it onto a cooling rack to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
OREO MAGIC COOKIE BARS
- 4 cup crushed oreos Save some for the toppings too!
- ¾ cup butter melted
- ½ tsp salt
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ¾ cup oreo pieces
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup m&ms use the mini version for a fun twist
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line an 8×10 baking pan with parchment paper for ease of removal or simply spray the pan with baking spray.
- In a food processor crush the 4 cups worth of Oreo's for the base of the crust. If you do not have a food processor you can put the Oreo's in a zip locked bag and use a rolling pin to crush them. You want the Oreo's crushed to a small fine texture.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the crushed Oreos, melted butter and salt until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Press the crust into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Pour the can of sweetened condensed milk onto the crust and spread to the edges.
- Then you will start to evenly sprinkle the remaining ingredients over the condensed milk. I like to start with the crushed Oreo's, then the chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and finally the M & M's.
- Place the pan into the oven to bake for 45 minutes.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and place onto a cooling rack to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.
How long are magic bars good for?
These bars can be left stored in an airtight container or zipper topped baggie at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can store them in the fridge for up to 2 weeks (in an airtight container). These bars are delicious at room temperature but they are even better slightly chilled as the sweetened condensed milk caramel turns extra chewy.
Different candy suggestions:
Looking for more fun ways to customize this oreo bars recipe? For different toppings try swapping the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, or white chocolate chips for one another. Or swap the M&Ms for different chocolate candies such as chopped Butterfinger, snickers, or even Rolos.
Fun fact about Magic Cookie bars!
These cookies go by many names, some people call these magic bars, dream bars, or even seven layer bars. The name of this treat is something of a mystery. There is also an equal number of people who call these “Hello Dolly’s”, the tale behind the name Hello Dolly’s is bar far the most fun. It is believed that the recipe gained popularity when Carol Channing was starring in Broadway’s Hello Dolly! musical. Although any real tie to the musical is still a mystery. Whatever you choose to call them the consensus is that they are delicious and here to stay!
Looking for more cookie bar recipes? We’ve got you covered! Check out these tasty suggestions:
- SAMOA COOKIE BARS
- M&M CHRISTMAS COOKIE BARS
- PATRIOTIC CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIE BARS
- 7 LAYER MAGIC COOKIE BARS
- LEMON RASPBERRY SUGAR COOKIE BARS
- SWIRLED RED, WHITE & BLUE COOKIE BARS
- CHEESECAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BARS
- REESE’S COOKIE BARS
- STRAWBERRY SUGAR COOKIE BARS
- PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BARS
With so much great flavor from the Oreo cookies, chocolate chips, M&Ms, and butterscotch chips in every bite, you’ll love this Oreo cookie bar recipe almost as much as we do.