Cheesecake Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars combine a delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe with a layer of cheesecake to make a dessert that is the best of both worlds! This amazing bar cookie recipe is simple to make and a hit at every party!
I’ve always loved chocolate chip cookies and I’ve also always loved cheesecake. So when I found this recipe for chocolate chip cheesecake bars several years ago, I knew it was going to be amazing. Combining my two favorite desserts? YES! I’ve made a few modifications over the years and the results are just so yummy! I’m so glad to share this recipe with you because I know you’ll love it as much as I do!
This tasty cookie bar dessert is perfect to take to your next gathering or party. Watch as all of the cheesecake cookie bars disappear and people beg for more. Tip- hide 2 or 3 servings for yourself somewhere safe so you don’t miss out!
Cheesecake Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars Ingredients
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE LAYER:
Butter – Salted or unsalted works fine. Just make sure the butter is softened to room temperature.
Butter flavored Crisco – My favorite chocolate chip cookies use a combination of butter and butter flavored Crisco. It really does make amazing cookies. If you don’t have any on hand, you can use regular Crisco or you can even swap this out for more butter as well. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of shortening, so if you do swap in butter as a substitute, you will need a little bit more. So use 1/2 cup butter PLUS an extra tablespoon.
Brown sugar & white sugar – Don’t leave the sweetness out! Make sure your brown sugar is fresh and not dried out for best results.
Apple cider vinegar – One thing that made me nervous about this recipe is that there is a tablespoon of cider vinegar in it. What?! I did some research and apparently it helps the cookie dough to set up and crisp up a little bit. I’ve made the recipe with it and without and can’t tell a huge difference, but there is a subtle difference and I usually add it in. I promise, you won’t be able to taste it at all! I have also used rice vinegar instead and it works well too.
Baking soda – Double check to make sure this isn’t expired!
Flour – Regular all-purpose flour works best!
Semisweet chocolate chips
Cream cheese – This will mix in so much easier if it is completely softened to room temperature first! You can use regular cream cheese or even a low-fat or non-fat variety – they all work!
How to Make Cheesecake Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
In a bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and sugars.
Add in the vanilla, salt, and vinegar. Mix well.
Beat in the egg, then add in the baking soda and flour.
Stir in the chocolate chips, and set aside.
In a separate bowl, mix the cream cheese with the sugar until thoroughly combined.
Beat in the egg and vanilla.
In a greased 9×13 pan, spread out half of the cookie dough to make a bottom crust in the pan.
Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the cookie dough.
With the remaining cookie dough, flatten chunks of dough between your hands into discs.
Place the discs on top of the cream cheese mixture. They don’t have to touch but try to cover as much cream cheese as possible.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until the top of the cookie is brown and cooked through.
Cool completely and then store in the fridge.
Cheesecake Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup butter flavored vegetable shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 8 oz pkg cream cheese softened to room temp
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Cream together the butter, shortening, and sugars. Add the vanilla, salt and vinegar and mix together. Beat in the egg, then the baking soda and flour. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- In a different bowl, mix the cream cheese with the sugar until thoroughly combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In a greased 9x13 pan, spread half of the cookie dough mixture across the bottom. (I just plopped the dough around the pan and then spread it all together.) Then, spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the cookie dough.
- With the remaining cookie dough, flatten chunks of dough between your hands into discs, and then place on top of the cream cheese mixture. (The cookie dough discs don't have to touch, but try to place them so that they cover as much of the cream cheese mixture as possible.)
- Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes, or until the top is brown and cooked through. Cool completely and store in the refrigerator.
- Serve and enjoy!
Can I double the recipe?
While some recipes don’t like to be doubled, this one is completely safe to do so! By doubling the recipe you can fit it in a 12×16 pan instead of a 9×13 and it’s great for feeding a crowd!
MORE FAVORITE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPES:
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
- Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Caramel Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mrs. Fields White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
How long do Cheesecake Cookie Bars last?
If kept properly stored in an airtight or covered container in the fridge, your cookie bars can last up to a week and still taste great.
How to soften cream cheese
Cream cheese is easy to soften – you can set it out at room temperature or soften it more quickly in the microwave.
-To soften at room temperature more quickly, just set the cream cheese on a plate and cut into smaller pieces. The cream cheese should reach room temperature in about 15-20 minutes with this method.
-To soften the cream cheese in the microwave, remove the foil packaging and set the cream cheese in a small bowl or on a plate. Microwave for about 10-15 seconds. If the cream cheese is still cold and hard, continue to microwave for about 5 seconds at a time until the cream cheese is soft throughout. Just make sure not to microwave it too long or it will start to melt!
Love cheesecake? So do we! See some of our favorite cheesecake recipes here!
- Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies
- Cranberry Cheesecake
- Rocky Road Cheesecake
- Cheesecake Berries with Chocolate Ganache
- White Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake
- Cherry Cheesecake Cookies
- Lemon Cheesecake Bars
- Banana Cream Cheesecakes
- Mini No Bake Cheesecakes
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bites
- Frozen Raspberry Cheesecake Bars
- Double Berry Cheesecake Muffins
- Easy No Bake Cheesecake
- Orange Cheesecake Brownies
Cheesecake chocolate chip cookie bars are an incredible and tasty dessert treat for any occasion. Combining chocolate chip cookies with cheesecake is always a good idea!
Mmmm…these sound like heaven! Thanks for sharing your great recipe with the 'Or so she says…' readers! The newest link party just kicked off today (every Sat. – Tues), I would love to have you back! http://www.oneshetwoshe.com
Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes says
I'm gonna make these soon! They sound awesome!
Kelly Anthony says
OH MY WORD! What a genius combination. Two of my all-time favorite things 🙂 Love this!
We’ve been doing a lot of baking since the whole quarantine started and I am pretty sure these are our new favorite recipe. The kids enjoyed helping to make them and I loved eating them!
Chris M says
These were amazing! Completely OMG-worthy! Couldn’t stop eating them! Also they freeze well so I didn’t have to eat them all in one sitting.
That’s one of my favorite things, freezing them and then pulling them out whenever I want! So happy you are enjoying these!
Carla G says
My husband has been bugging me to make these so today I finally did. They barely had a chance to set before he was tearing into them. Then the icing on the cake. The little boy next door. I have gave him one. He took a bite, his eyes lit up, looked at the bar, looked at me, the bar again and said, “Can I have another one?” Between him and my 45 year old “kid” I knew I had a winner. Thanks for making 2 kids very happy!🤗 Next time I’ll chill the first layer and the top layer a bit, then pour the cream cheese mixture. It’ll be easier to flatten the top layer if it’s chilled. It’ll be less sticky.
Thanks for the review Carla! Your neighbor is a lucky little boy!