Sugar Cookie Bars with Strawberry Frosting is the perfect spring-time dessert! The fruity frosting is the perfect way to level up your dessert!
Sugar Cookie Bars
I absolutely love making sugar cookie bars because we get all of the flavor and texture of sugar cookies without all of the rolling and cutting. I feel like that deserves the Hallelujah Chorus or something. 😉 We are talking soft, chewy, exploding with vanilla flavor Sugar Cookies in bar form, and let me tell you, I am here for it! (And you should be, too.)
Making sugar cookie bars is the best dessert for a crowd, think Pot Lucks or large family gatherings! Just cut and serve. Better yet, you can cut them smaller for the kiddos and gigantic for yourself. 😉
What makes this particular sugar cookie bar recipe extra special is the Strawberry Frosting. I bet you have never made a frosting like this before. I love the deep color, the flavor and texture of this frosting. Can I tell you my secret?
Freeze Dried Strawberries. You know, the ones that come in the Special K Cereal? Yes! Those. You can buy a bag of them all on their own. We will use a blender, food processor or your own strength to turn them into a powder and then mix that into the homemade buttercream to flavor and color the frosting. I love the results when doing this!
What is in the Cookie Bars?
- Butter: I use salted butter for this and you’ll want it either at room temperature or softened slightly in the microwave. We definitely don’t want it melted, though!
- Sugar: Just regular granulated white sugar for this dough.
- Vanilla Extract: This recipe calls for quite a bit of vanilla, nope it isn’t a typo. You’ll want 1/2 tbsp (tablespoon) of vanilla extract.
- Flour: All purpose flour is what we are looking for. Nothing crazy here!
- Baking Powder
- Salt: We will just add a pinch or two of salt to help offset the sweetness, really all of these ingredients are a perfect blend!
The best news yet, this dough requires no chilling!!
How to store your Sugar Cookie Bars
Storing the sugar cookie bars is quite simple, just keep them in an air tight container and they will stay fresh on the counter for up to 3 days. If you toss them into the fridge they will stay fresh for up to 1 week.
The frosting is fine to be at room temperature for an extended period of time (up to 3 days) because the sugar in the frosting stabilizes the little bit of milk that is in the recipe and will keep it from spoiling.
How to freeze your Cookie Bars
Freezing your cookie bars is as easy as wrapping the bars individually and then freezing them. Allow them to come up to room temperature for 30 minutes prior to serving or eating, but they should stay fresh in the freezer for a good month or two.
If you’d like to freeze the dough, that is also possible. again, just let the dough come to room temperature prior to baking.
Strawberry Sugar Cookie Bars
Sugar Cookie Bars
- 3/4 cup butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups freeze dried strawberries
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9×9 pan. Set aside. (For thinner bars, use a 9x13 pan.)
- For the Sugar Cookie Bars:Cream together the butter and sugar for 2 minutes.
- Add in the vanilla and egg. Mix thoroughly.
- Mix in the baking powder, flour and salt until well combined.
- Press into the prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until puffy and no longer glossy. You’ll want to pull them before they start turning brown.Let cool completely before frosting.
- For the Frosting: First, use a blender or food processor to turn your freeze dried strawberries into a powder.
- Cream together the butter, freeze dried strawberries, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk until smooth and creamy. You can adjust the texture of the frosting by adding more milk or more powdered sugar to your preference.
- Frost cooled sugar cookie bars and top with sprinkles, if desired.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
You’ll Love These Other Cookie Recipes!
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
- Fruit Pizza Cookies
- Lemonade Cookies
- Raspberry Jam Thumbprint Cookies
- Glazed Strawberry Fruit Pizza
- Frosted Meyer Lemon Cookies
- Lemon Butter Cookies
- Raspberry Meltaways
- Lemon Raspberry Fruit Pizza
- Peach Snickerdoodle
- Frosted Strawberry Cookies
- Easy Watermelon Sugar Cookies
- Blueberry Cream Cookies
- Flower Pot Cookies
- Lemon Glazed Cool Whip Cookies
These strawberry cookie bars with strawberry frosting are the perfect addition to your options for springtime desserts that everyone can (and will) enjoy!