Easy Apple Dump Cake recipe with just 4 simple pantry ingredients! Cake mix & apple pie filling transform into a delicious apple dessert perfect for any occasion.
Perfect for a simple treat with the family or feeding a crowd. You are going to love how easy this recipe comes together!
Sarah here from Feeding Your Fam stopping by to bring you this classic recipe for Apple Dump Cake. This is one of those recipes that has been in the family recipe books for years, and for good reason, it is a keeper!!
What is Dump Cake?
Dump Cake is pretty much exactly what the name says. All you need to do is literally dump the ingredients in a pan and bake. The results are a cross between an apple crisp and apple cobbler. This is the perfect, simple apple dessert recipe!
Ingredients for Apple Dump Cake:
This is all you will need to make this delicious Apple Dump Cake Recipe
- Apple pie filling: You’ll need a 20-oz can. I prefer to get the kind that indicates “extra apples!”
- Cinnamon: You’ll sprinkle the apples with plain ole ground cinnamon for extra flavor.
- White or Yellow Cake mix: Use what you have on hand- even spice cake would work in this case
- Butter, unsalted: Ok, you can use salted if you prefer. You’ll need 1 cup, or 2 cubes of butter, sliced into squares.
How to make a Dump Cake
The first step to making this dump cake recipe is to get your oven heating up to 350ºF. Then prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish by spraying the bottom and sides with cooking spray.
Pour the apple pie filling into the bottom of the prepared pan and spread out evenly. Sprinkle with the cinnamon.
After the apple pie filling is evenly spread in the pan, sprinkle the cake mix over the top of the pie filling, using the back of a spoon or spatula to spread even.
Next, slice the butter into about 1 tablespoon pieces and place on top of the cake mix. Bake the cake for 45-55 minutes.
The cake is done when the top is golden brown and the apples underneath are hot and bubbling.
Serve warm and top individual servings with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!!
Apple Dump Cake
- 2 20 oz cans apple pie filling
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 box white or yellow cake mix
- 1 cup butter, unsalted
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- Spread both cans of apple pie filling into bottom of prepared baking dish
- Sprinkle cinnamon over pie filling
- Sprinkle cake mix evenly over pie filling. Top cake mix with 1 tbsp slices of butter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until top is golden brown and apples are hot and bubbling.
Can I use anything in place of butter?
If you’re trying to be a bit healthier, you can replace the butter with a 12-oz can of lemon lime or cream soda. It does add sugar (unless you use a diet version) but it will lower the fat and calorie content.
Can you make dump cake ahead of time?
This cake is best served close to when it’s done baking so that the cake topping is buttery crisp and crumbly. As the cake sits, it will absorb more moisture from the apples.
Do you refrigerate Dump Cake?
Yes, store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Can I use homemade apple pie filling?
Yes, you’re welcome to use homemade apple pie filling. My friend has a great recipe: Homemade Apple Pie Filling is the perfect way to cook up your apples. These tender sweet-tart apples take just minutes to prep and taste so much better than the canned version! They can be used in pies or tarts or in any recipe that calls for a can of apple pie filling!
Enjoy Apple recipes? So do we!
- MINI APPLE PIES
- APPLE PIE BARS
- APPLE BANANA BREAD
- GLAZED APPLE CINNAMON BREAD
- DUTCH APPLE BREAD RECIPE
- APPLE CIDER SYRUP RECIPE
- SNICKERS APPLE SALAD
- SNICKERDOODLE APPLE COBBLER
- CARAMEL APPLE NACHOS
- EASY CINNAMON APPLE CAKE