Mini Apple Pies are a simple 4 ingredient dessert made with flaky pie crust & apple pie filling. Lovely tastes of apple pie only so much easier to make! Perfect for making ahead and taking along to parties and family get togethers.
Sarah here from Feeding Your Fam to show you how to put together this super simple apple pie dessert recipe. This recipe is one my kids beg to make over and over again, because these miniature apple pies are so easy and fun to make.
We have been making these for years, even the littlest hands can make these. If you are looking for a dessert that is both delicious and easy, look no further, these mini apple pies are the best.
These mini apple pies can also second as a delicious filled cookie, so make these for your next cookie party and everyone will be so impressed. You only need a few ingredients and a little time to put these together and bake, then you are in warm apple pie heaven!!
- 2 Pie Crusts- I use store bought, but homemade will work as well
- 20 oz can of Apple Pie Filling- you will not use all of this for this recipe, so you can freeze any left over for future use.
- 1 egg white
CINNAMON SUGAR MIXTURE
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
HOW TO MAKE MINI APPLE PIES
Roll out the pie dough on a clean, flat surface dusted with just a little bit of flour to prevent sticking. Cut out the mini pie rounds using a 4 inch round cookie cutter. If you don’t have a cookie cutter, I have used a drinking glass to cut out the rounds and it works great.
Remove the cut out rounds from the pie dough and pick up the scraps of the pie dough. Use a rolling pin to roll out the scraps again and cut more rounds. Each piece of pie dough will make 10 rounds, so when you are done cutting you should have 20 rounds, which will yield 10 mini pies.
Place 2 tablespoons of prepared apple pie filling in the center of half of the pie rounds. Brush egg white around the outside of the pie round. This is easily done using a clean finger. Do this one round at a time to prevent the egg white from drying out.
Place another round on top of the bottom round that has been brushed with egg white. Press the pie crust together with the fork tines. Press gently, just enough to make markings a to make the two crusts go come together, you don’t want the fork to go all the way through both crusts.
Once the pie crusts have been placed together, use a sharp knife to slice equal slits in the tops of the mini apple pies. Brush the top of the pies with more egg white and sprinkle all over with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Place the prepared mini pies on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in a 350º F oven for 20 minutes, until golden brown and heated through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
Mini Apple Pies
- 2 prepared pie crusts
- 20 ounce apple pie filling
- 1 egg white
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or cooking spray.
- Roll out pie dough on a lightly floured surface and cut into 4 inch rounds.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of pie filling in the center half of the pie rounds.
- Brush egg white around the edge of the filled pie crusts and top with the other cut rounds of pie crust. Press together using the end of a fork.
- Use a sharp knife to slice small slits into the tops of the pies. Brush with more egg white and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until golden brown and heated through. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
Can I use homemade apple pie filling?
Absolutely! I recommend using the “cooked” apple pie filling recipes for this because the apples will be softer and the filling will be thicker allowing for the hand pies to not turn out soggy or too hard to enjoy.
Can I use a different fruit filling?
Using canned fruit fillings like cherry or blueberry can also be a great way to add variety to your pies. As long as the pie filling is thick enough to not be runny, it should work out perfectly fine here.
How long are mini hand pies good for?
You can expect these pies to last about 3 days if you keep them stored properly. To do this, let them cool and set completely after baking and then store them in an airtight container. You can leave them at room temperature or in the fridge depending on your preference.
- Crumb Topped Apple Pie Bars
- Apple Banana Bread
- Glazed Apple Cinnamon Bread
- Dutch Apple Bread
- Caramel Apple Bread
- Apple Cinnamon Crumb Bars
- Snickerdoodle Apple Cobbler
- Apple Cider Syrup
- Snickerdoodle Apple Cookie Cups
- Chocolate Caramel Apples
- Caramel Apple Nachos
- Apple Spice Cake
- Snickers Apple Salad
- Apple Crisp with Oatmeal
- Cinnamon Caramel Apple Dip
You’re going to love how simple and easy these mini apple pies are to make. Take them to your next get together or party and enjoy watching them disappear. Mini Apple Pies are a simple 4 ingredient dessert made with flaky pie crust & apple pie filling. Lovely tastes of apple pie only so much easier to make!