Easy Oreo Ice Cream Cake only takes minutes to assemble, yet it tastes and looks incredible with its layers of ice cream, chocolate graham crackers, whipped cream, Oreos, and chocolate ganache.
Easy Oreo Ice Cream Cake will be your new favorite go-to dessert for any birthday party! For the past 2 years I’ve made my husband this ice cream cake for his birthday and each year it’s met with rave reviews. I’m almost embarrassed to show everyone just how easy this cake is because it’s tastes really labor intensive! Since I made the video I actually had a good time estimate on how long it took, and a majority of the cake came together in less than 3 minutes. Yep. Altogether I’d say there was about 5-10 minutes of “work” involved, but even that’s a stretch. It’s simple, tastes divine, and looks like something from a bakery. Be sure to scroll down and watch how easily it all comes together in the video!
What is Oreo ice cream cake?
It’s a cookies and cream ice cream cake that packs chocolate and vanilla into every freezing bite. With just a few simple ingredients and minutes of your time, you can make your own cake at home too! Homemade oreo ice cream cake is made even easier thanks to storebought ice cream, Oreos, whipped topping, and graham crackers! No oven baking required for this chilled recipe.
Homemade Oreo Ice Cream Cake Ingredients
- Ice cream: We need about 1/2 of a block’s worth of Cookies and Cream ice cream. We want the block (the one fully wrapped in cardboard) not the kind in a tub (it’s shaped differently.
- Oreos: We only need about 17 whole Oreos so you can still snack on the rest in that blue package.
- Whipped topping: We need 3 cups of whipped topping, which is roughly 2/3 of an 8 ounce container of Cool Whip.
- Graham crackers: 6 chocolate graham crackers become the base of our cookie ice cream cake. You can use plain or even another type of chocolate cookie if you can’t find chocolate ones available.
- Chocolate ganache: We need 1 1/2 cups of homemade chocolate ganache, which is half of the recipe included.
For the ganache you’ll need:
- Chocolate: We need 16 ounces of chocolate, this is roughly 2 2/3 cups of chocolate. Bar chocolate and chocolate chips work best. You can use a blend of different chocolates.
- Cream: 1 cup of heavy whipping cream will make the ganache thick and creamy.
- Butter: We need 1/2 cup of butter (one stick) to make the ganache both shiny and rich tasting.
How do you soften ice cream for a cake?
Ice Cream Cakes can be softened simply by taking them out of the freezer about 20 minutes prior to when you’d like to serve it. That’s it!
How to make oreo ice cream cake
To make the ganache:
- Place chocolate in a medium-sized bowl and set it aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the cream when the butter is almost completely melted and increase heat to medium.
- Whisk while bringing the mixture up to barely a boil and then remove.
- Pour the cream and butter over the chocolate-filled bowl and then top with a lid or plate.
- Let rest 3-4 minutes before stirring to combine.
- Let sit for 5-15 minutes to cool and thicken and then use as desired.
To make the cake:
- Line a bread pan with parchment paper. This makes it easier to remove the cake later.
- Place 3 graham crackers into the bottom of the pan.
- Top with two 1 inch sliced pieces of the ice cream.
- Spread 1 cup of whipped topping over the top of the ice cream and then press whole Oreos into the whipped cream.
- Top with another layer of whipped cream and then drizzle with about 1/2 cup of the chocolate ganache.
- Top with 2 more 1 inch sliced pieces of ice cream and then the remaining 3 graham crackers.
- Spread the remaining 1 cup of whipped topping over the crackers.
- Cover the bread pan and freeze for at least a couple of hours, but preferably overnight. (Note: if you plan to serve this cake within 24 hours, to make sure the crackers & cookies are soft, dip them in milk immediately before assembling the cake!)
- Remove the cake from the bread pan and place it on a serving plate or tray.
- Pour the remaining 1 cup of chocolate ganache over the frozen cake, letting it drop down the sides.
- Crush your remaining Oreo cookies and sprinkle them on top of the cake for garnish.
- Return the cake to the freezer until ready to serve. Or freeze for 5-10 minutes for the ganache to cool.
- Slice the cake and serve.
What size cake pan should I use for this Ice Cream Oreo Cake recipe?
The bread pan I use is a Norpro 10″ non-stick. It’s amazing, I love it and I have had it for years. This cake didn’t extend the full length of the pan, so an 8″ standard bread pan would work just fine!
Can I make an Oreo Cookie Ice Cream Cake in advance?
I’ve made this many times and I personally think it’s better after sitting in the freezer for a couple of days. The graham crackers and cookies soften so they taste like cake- wrapped up in ice cream, rich chocolate ganache, and whipped cream. Does it get any better than that? Nope.
Storing Oreo Ice Cream Cake
Cover the cake securely with plastic wrap and/or foil and store in the freezer. If you only have a couple pieces of cake left, you can store those in an airtight container in the freezer. Frozen ice cream cake is good for about 1 month.
Like frozen desserts? Here are more of our favorites!
- Banana Split Milkshakes
- Frozen Peanut Butter Pie
- Easy Kool-Aid Sherbet
- Quick Strawberry Ice Cream
- Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
- Strawberry Banana Sorbet recipe
- Strawberry Ice Cream Pie
- Apple Pie Milkshakes
- Skinny OREO Milkshakes
- Holiday Peppermint Ice Cream Cake Roll
- Raspberry Cheesecake Shakes
- Easy Pear Sorbet
- Peach Ice Cream
- Layered Pumpkin Ice Cream Dessert
- Watermelon Berry Sorbet
You’re going to love this easy oreo ice cream cake. It only takes a few minutes from start to finish and the results speak for themselves. With ice cream, cookies, and a chocolate ganache on top you know it’s going to be good!
More favorite recipes to try:
- Chocolate Banana Bar
- 100 Calorie Mug Cake
- Strawberry Jam Recipe without Pectin
- Apple Pie Filling and Cake Mix
- Appetizer Idea
- Peppermint Patties Recipe