What is Holiday Peppermint Ice Cream Cake Roll?
For the Cake you will need:
For the Filling we will need:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and prepare a 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper or grease and flour.
In a bowl, beat the egg yolks and vanilla with an electric mixer on full speed until the eggs yolks turn a light yellow color.
Slowly add in the 1/3 cup of sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is dissolved. This should take about 5-6 minutes.
In another bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add in the 1/2 cup of white sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
Fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg white mixture using a wide rubber spatula.
Sprinkle the flour and baking powder over the egg mixture and combine the ingredients together gently.
Holiday Peppermint Ice Cream Roll Cake
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
Ice Cream Filling
- 1 carton peppermint ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Beat egg yolks and vanilla using an electric mixer on full speed until egg yolks turn a light yellow, lemon color.
- Slowly add the 1/3 cups sugar and continue beating mixture until sugar is dissolved. Total time is about 5-6 minutes.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites using a medium setting on your mixer. When they form soft peaks, slowly add the ½ cup sugar and then continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg yolk mixture into egg white mixture. Using a wide rubber scraper works well so you can cover a large surface area with each fold.
- Sprinkle flour and baking powder over egg mixture and fold in. You want to gently combine the ingredients, not beat them together.
- Pour/spread batter into a 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pan that has been well greased and floured. (Or use a piece of parchment paper!) Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes. The cake should be springy to the touch when done.
- While the cake is baking spread out a towel flat and sprinkle powdered sugar evenly on the towel. Once the cake comes out of the oven you will turn your cake out onto the sugar surface of the towel. The key to success with the cake is that as soon as it comes out of the oven you will need to loosen the edges of the cake. Run a knife along the edges of the pan. Then turn the cake out onto the towel. If the cake is being stubborn, use a spatula to loosen the cake and catch it as it falls out of the pan.
- Once the cake is flat on the towel, use the towel to roll the cake up jelly roll style. The towel will be the “filling” of the cake as the cake cools. Set your bundle aside on a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Ice Cream Filling
- Open up your ice cream carton so your block of ice cream is exposed. Using a long blade knife cut your ice cream into ½ inch slices.
- Unroll jelly roll cake from towel and cover cake with ice cream slices. You will want to leave a 1 inch border around the edge of the cake free of ice cream because when you roll the cake some ice cream will push out to the edges.
- Once cake is filled with ice cream, gently roll the cake, starting on one of the short sides. Wrap in plastic wrap and put in freezer so the ice cream can harden.
- When you are ready to serve dust with powdered sugar and, if desired, drizzle with melted chocolate or hot fudge.
How long is ice cream cake roll good for?
If kept well covered in the freezer this cake can last up to several weeks and still be great. You should keep it covered in plastic wrap and stored in another airtight container to help prevent freezer burn as that will make it dry out and not taste as good.
When to serve Holiday Peppermint Ice Cream Cake
This cake does great at holiday parties, family gatherings, or even just a nice Sunday evening dessert. While peppermint ice cream does best in winter and especially around Christmas, if you can get your hands on it earlier in the year, then there’s nothing stopping you from enjoying a refreshing treat during the hot summer months either!
- Christmas Cranberry Cake
- Festive Cranberry Jell-o
- Hot Chocolate Cookie Cups
- Cookie Salad
- Peanut Butter Blossom Cupcakes
- Christmas Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
- Slow Cooker Holiday Ham
- Christmas Cookie Bars
- Christmas Candy Puffcorn
- Santa Approved Christmas Treats
- Gooey Holiday Chex Mix
- Festive Holiday Veggie Tray
- Holiday Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Red Velvet Christmas Cookies
- Layered Christmas Jello Cups