Can you even contain your excitement!? I mean- oh, the possibilities!
I saw an idea online for a waffle party, and thought it was the perfect idea for Jude’s 1st birthday.
I set out to find the perfect waffle recipe, but they all kept falling short.
We’re talking a dozen failed recipes.
Looked online. Looked through cookbooks. Tried it all! I adapted and adjusted, but for the life of me, couldn’t get the right balance! In my head, I wanted free-hotel-continental-breakfast waffles. Know which ones I mean? Well, a month later (just in time for the party), and after the 12th recipe, I’m here to share my secrets and the final version…
Here are my tips for making the BEST belgian waffles:
How to make the Best Belgian Waffles
Preheat all the things
Mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and sugar using a whisk to combine well.
Combine it all
Cook & Serve
Serve, or place waffles directly on the oven racks to keep warm until you’re ready to serve them. (And don’t stack them!)*
Perfect Crispy Belgian Waffles
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 eggs yolks divided from whites
- 2 TBSP butter melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Heat waffle maker.
- Mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and sugar using a whisk to combine well.
- Beat the egg yolk with a whisk until smooth. Stir in the milk, vanilla, and butter.
- Combine the milk mixture with the dry ingredients. Stir until mostly smooth.
- Whisk the egg white until foamy using an electric mixer or blender.
- Carefully but thoroughly fold the egg whites into the batter. Cook waffles according to waffle maker instructions.
- Place waffles directly on the oven racks until ready to serve. (And don't stack them!)
*Since I was making these for a party, I needed 25 waffles. Taking 3 minutes per waffle to cook, I needed them to stay crisp while the others baked! This is kind of in impossible feat, or so I thought… The trick was to place the waffles in an oven set to 200, directly on the oven racks (not on plates or pans!). Each one was just right! I can’t believe it worked. It worked! I’ve made this recipe since the party, and the oven trick is the key- they always stay perfectly crisp.
^^ Waffle station.
^^ Ok, and now, my favorite way to eat waffles! My favorite restaurant growing up in Ohio had this on the menu, and my grandma would let me order it as my meal every time! (Grandmas are the best, yes!?) Warm waffles topped with ice cream and hot fudge. I mean, just the best. Making these at home for the first time was an out of body experience, let me tell you!
Need some new Breakfast Ideas? Here are several more Breakfast recipes:
Savory Breakfast Ideas:
- Protein Breakfast Wraps
- 3 Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Loaded Breakfast Burrito recipe
- Bacon, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Pockets
- Best Ham & Cheese Scrambled Eggs
- Easy Breakfast Nachos
- Easiest Way to Cook Bacon
- Savory Breakfast Rolls
- Fiesta Egg Bites recipe
- Ham & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Easy 15-Minute Maple Bars
- Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Best Blueberry Muffin recipe
- Nutella Banana Muffins
- Apple Bread Pudding
- Berry Protein Pancake Bites
- Oatmeal Waffle recipe
- Cinnamon French Toast Casserole
- Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Cake recipe
- One Hour Orange Rolls
- Easy 15 Minute Donut Recipes
- Vanilla Butter Syrup recipe
Crisp Belgian Waffle recipe with 4 tips that make these the BEST waffles ever! Simple waffle recipe that everyone loves.