Orange Rolls made in an hour! Perfectly sweet, soft orange roll recipe with a bright citrus glaze that melts in your mouth. Plus, how to make the BEST sweet rolls ever!
Orange Rolls made from scratch are a favorite of mine. I love the fresh taste of citrus paired with a sweet, soft roll. Yum! Bonus too- these are made in only an hour. So you don’t have to spend hours waiting for dough to rise…then rise again, etc. Super simple and oh so delicious.
How to make Orange Rolls
Here’s how to make the best sweet rolls ever:
- Remember to fully knead. The recipe below kneads for just 3-4 minutes but each and every one of those minutes is important! Kneading dough helps to develop the flavor and texture of the bread, so don’t skimp on kneading time.
- Weather can affect your ingredients. If you live in a moist climate, chances are you’ll need at least the recommended amount of flour, maybe even 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup more. Bread dough should be sticky, but still manageable. While you’re kneading, the dough should come together and pull away from the sides of the bowl, leaving the bowl mostly clean. (I try not to add too much flour because your bread will be more dense.) When you pick the dough up, some will stick to your fingers. After the first rise, it will be easier to handle!
- In the wintertime when my house is cooler than normal, I like to turn the oven on for 2-3 minutes, then turn it off and let the bowl of dough rise in there. The oven traps the heat for a longtime and it’s the perfect atmosphere for rising dough.
- Having trouble rolling out a rectangle shape? ME TOO! Here’s my trick- first roll out the dough into an oval shape until the dough is about 1/2″ thick. Then fold the side of the oval over, creating a rectangle shape. Turn the dough over and begin rolling again. This time, creating a rectangle shape is MUCH easier! If you’re having a hard time rolling out a section, fee free to grasp it and gently pull it towards where you want it to be.
- Coll the orange rolls for about 20-30 minutes before spreading on the icing. You want the rolls to still be warm (because OMG eating a fresh baked orange roll while it’s still warm is pretty much the best thing ever!) but if they’re too warm, all the icing will melt right off and puddle at the bottom of the pan.
ONE-HOUR ORANGE ROLLS
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 TBSP yeast
- 1 TBSP + 1/3 cup sugar divided
- 1 TBSP oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2- 3 cups flour
- 5 TBSP melted butter divided
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 TBSP orange zest
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 TBSP orange juice
- Combine warm water, yeast and sugar in a mixing bowl and let sit for about 3-4 minutes, until yeast is bubbling up. Add in oil, salt and flour. Start with 2 1/2 cups of flour, then add more until the dough cleans the sides of the mixing bowl. (I use a mixer for this part as it makes it just so much easier!) Continue mixing for an additional 3-4 minutes, then cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place for 15 minutes. In cold weather, I like to turn my oven on for about 3 or 4 minutes, then turn it off and let my dough rest in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Stir together cinnamon, orange zest and 1/3 cup sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Spray counter top with non-stick cooking spray and roll dough out into a large rectangle about 1/4? thick. Brush dough with 3 TBSP melted butter, then spread with cinnamon sugar- orange zest mixture.
- Starting with one of the long sides of the rectangle, roll dough up tightly, working from one end to the other end horizontally, then back again. Pinch the seams closed at the end. Use a sharp, thin knife to cut the roll in half, then each half in half. You will have 4 sections. Cut each section into thirds.
- Set rolls in a 9x13 pan. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, remaining 2 TBSP melted butter and orange juice. Spread over warm rolls. Enjoy! Store any leftovers in an airtight container.
Need some new Breakfast Ideas? Here are several more Breakfast recipes:
Savory Breakfast Ideas:
- Protein Breakfast Wraps
- 3 Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Loaded Breakfast Burrito recipe
- Bacon, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Pockets
- Best Ham & Cheese Scrambled Eggs
- Easy Breakfast Nachos
- Best Way to Cook Bacon
- Savory Breakfast Rolls
- Fiesta Egg Bites Breakfast recipe
- Ham & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Sweet Breakfast Recipes:
- Easy 15-Minute Maple Bars
- Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Best Blueberry Muffin recipe
- Nutella Banana Muffins
- Apple Bread Pudding
- Berry Protein Pancake Bites
- Oatmeal Waffle recipe
- Cinnamon French Toast Casserole
- Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Cake recipe
- Easy 15 Minute Donut Recipes
- Vanilla Butter Syrup recipe
- Perfect Crisp Belgian Waffles