Fajita chicken kabobs are all your favorite fajita flavors on a grilled kabob! Tender & flavorful chicken with bell peppers and onion grilled together and ready to serve.
Chicken fajitas are a popular recipe but serving them up on a skewer is both fun and unique. These grilled chicken kabobs with vegetables are packed with flavor & are a fun variation on traditional chicken fajitas.
What are Fajita chicken kabobs?
A simple chicken skewer, these Mexican chicken kabobs are fresh vegetables and pieces of chicken that have been flavored with a fajita marinade before grilling. Cooked and served up with sliced limes, sour cream & tortillas; you can have a flavorful dish without too much effort.
-Chicken breasts: You’re going to want about 6 chicken breast tenders (or 3-4 whole chicken breasts) that have been washed and patted dry. This helps the marinade to fully flavor the chicken.
-Bell peppers: Using a red bell pepper and a green bell pepper we can add some bright colors and flavors.
-Onion: A purple onion gives a great level of sweetness as well as a nice colorful addition to your skewers.
-Salt: Salt will help to tenderize the chicken so that it’s nice and juicy when cooked.
-Garlic cloves: Finely diced garlic cloves are used in the marinade to help flavor the chicken.
-Onion Powder: Used to help create a flavorful marinade and great onion flavor that works well with the other flavors.
-Seasoning Salt: You’ll only need about a teaspoon of seasoning salt but it helps to tenderize the chicken and adds flavor at the same time!
-Olive Oil: This is the liquid base for the chicken fajita marinade.
-Skewer Sticks: If you use wooden skewer sticks, you should let them soak in warm water for at least 20 minutes to prevent burning and splintering in your food.
Cut your chicken into bite-sized pieces that are about the same size, this will help to ensure even cooking. Place the chicken into a Ziploc bag or airtight container.
Next, mix together the salt, onion powder, and seasoning salt in a small bowl and then add in the olive oil until they’re combined. Add in diced jalapeños and garlic.
Pour about 3/4 of the marinade over the chicken. Seal the bag and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
While the chicken is marinating, remove the seeds from the bell peppers and then cut them into bite sides pieces that are large enough to not break once they’ve been skewered.
Cut the red onion into bite-sized pieces as well and use the small inner pieces of the onion for another recipe. (Salads could be a great idea and work as a side dish to this kabob recipe if you want to use them soon!)
Toss the veggies together with the remaining marinade and set them aside until the chicken is ready.
If you’re serving these fajita chicken skewers with jalapeños then add them to the grill and cook until charred and slightly soft.
Assemble the kabobs by skewering the chicken, then a piece of green pepper, red pepper and a few pieces of onion. Continue this process with the remaining chicken and veggies until you run out of pieces. You should have about 4-6 skewers once you’re done.
Cook them on a grill for about 5 minutes on each side, or until the chicken has been cooked through. Serve immediately with lime wedges and grilled jalapeños.
Fajita Chicken Kabobs
- 6 chicken breast tenders washed and patted dry
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced optional
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 Tablespoon olive oil
- skewer sticks*
- lime slices
- Start by cutting the chicken into bite size pieces and adding it to an airtight container or Ziploc bag.
- Next, mix together the salt, onion powder, and seasoning salt in a small bowl and then add in the olive oil until they’re combined. Add in diced jalapeños and garlic.
- Pour about 3/4 of the marinade over the chicken. Seal the bag and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
- In the meantime, remove the seeds from the bell peppers and cut them into bite size pieces that are large enough to not break once skewered. Cut the red onion into bite size pieces as well, remove the small inner pieces and use them for another recipe. Toss the veggies together with the remaining marinade and set them aside until the chicken is ready.
- If serving with jalapeños, add them to the grill and cook until charred and slightly soft.
- Assemble the kabobs by skewering the chicken, then a piece of green pepper, red pepper and a few slices of onion. Continue the process with the remaining chicken and veggies. You should have 4-6 skewers once complete.
- Cook on a grill for 5 minutes on each side. Or until the chicken has cooked through. Serve immediately with lime wedges and grilled jalapeños.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Yes, the marinading chicken can be made up to 8 hours in advance or the skewers can be assembled and rest in the fridge for a few hours before grilling. This is great if you want to make them earlier in the day and keep them in the fridge ready to go so that dinner can be finished faster.
What goes with fajita chicken skewers?
Honestly, anything! Since this is a grilled recipe adding other grilled Mexican dishes can be a great idea (like street corn) but a simple green salad or bed of white rice also works depending on what you feel like cooking and eating there are countless possibilities.
Yes, if you don’t have chicken or simply want to use steak instead, go for it! This fajita recipe can be used for either type of meat, but I think I prefer it with chicken. 😉
Other Mexican inspired recipes you’re going to love!
- Mexican Chicken Lasagna
- Loaded Mexican Chicken Sweet Potato Fries
- Easy Taco Salad
- Mexican Chicken Alfredo Pasta
- Taco Bites
- Fiesta Ranch Chicken Pasta Salad
- Chicken Pineapple Tacos
- Mexican Lettuce Wraps
- Easy Taco Calzones
- Fiesta Egg Bites
- Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Dip
- Easy Blender Salsa
- Frito Corn Salad
- Easy to Go Taco Soup
- Vegetarian Enchiladas with Spinach and Black Beans
These fajita chicken kabobs are going to put an all-new summer twist on Taco Tuesday. You’re going to love this simple upgrade to a classic recipe. Fajita chicken kabobs are all your favorite fajita flavors on a grilled kabob! Tender & flavorful chicken with bell peppers and onion grilled together and ready to serve.