This easy taco soup recipe is one of my favorite go-to recipes for any busy night. Made with just a few ingredients this recipe comes together quickly and is always delicious.
Most of the ingredients needed for this simple taco soup recipe can be found in my cupboard at any given time, making it as convenient as it is quick. We all love when it’s served up for dinner and it never lasts long around here as everyone goes back for another bowl.
Ground Beef Taco Soup
This super easy taco soup is made with several cans of beans, corn, sauce, and water but to add a little additional protein we have ground beef (or hamburger) meat giving us a little more of a chili-like taste in every bowl. The ground beef adds great flavor and texture to every bite and really works well to complement the soup.
Why This Recipe Works
- Convenient ingredients. Canned beans and corn are considered pantry staples and are very shelf-stable and cheap too. You may have them on hand already but even if you don’t, a quick trip to the store can easily be afforded for this recipe.
- It’s adaptable. You can adjust this soup recipe to your own tastes but mixing up the combination of beans or using a different meat. I’ve also used 1 can of paste+1 of sauce, or larger sizes of canned sauce depending on what I have in the cupboard.
- It’s great any night of the week. A simple soup that comes together in minutes is perfect for those busy nights when you want something fast but letting it simmer longer helps to develop better flavors too so serve it up any night of the week and it’s sure to still be a huge hit!
Taco Soup Ingredients
Onion: You will need 1 onion that has been chopped into small diced pieces.
Hamburger: Use 1 pound of hamburger meat to give us a nice bite of meat in every spoonful.
Corn: You will need 1 15-ounce can of whole kernel corn, not drained.
Tomato sauce: For a thick red soup base we will use 2 15-ounce size cans of tomato sauce.
Water: You will need 1/2 or 1 can of water. This means that after you use the cans of tomato sauce you should fill the empty can with water and add it to the pot.
Beans: You will need 2 or 3 cans of beans (kidney beans, chili beans, black beans, etc.) Whatever you want or have on hand.
Taco seasoning: Use 3/4-1 full package of taco seasoning to help season the soup to taste. Adjust as needed.
How to Make Easy Taco Soup
In a saucepan, add your ground beef and onion.
Saute until the onions are softened and the ground beef is no longer pink. Break up the meat as you go.
Add in the canned corn, tomato sauce, water, beans, and taco seasoning. Stir to combine.
Cook until the soup has been warmed through.
Ladle into bowls and serve.
What to Serve with Taco Soup
This soup goes great with just about anything. Some of our favorite toppings include sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese but tortilla chips also work great. For side dishes consider this HOMEMADE CORNBREAD RECIPE or even EASY SPANISH RICE. Just save room for some tasty CHURRO BITES for dessert!
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 pound lean hamburger
- 1 can (15 oz.) can of corn, with liquid
- 2 cans (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1/2-1 can water
- 2-3 cans beans (kidney, chili, black, or other)
- 3/4-1 package taco seasoning *added to taste
- Brown hamburger and onion in saucepan.
- Add corn, tomato sauce, water, beans, and taco seasoning.
- Mix and warm ingredients.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, and tortilla chips!
How long is taco soup good for?
Assuming you have any leftovers of this soup, you can keep it stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or you can freeze it in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Just thaw and reheat until warm before serving.
How to make taco soup in the crockpot
To make this soup recipe in the slow cooker, brown the meat and onions as directed and place them into the slow cooker along with the other ingredients. Cook on low heat for 4 hours or on high for 2, until it has been fully heated through.
How do you thicken taco soup?
If you would like your soup to be thicker, add in more beans or stir in some tomato paste. Other options include stirring in a cornstarch slurry or taking a cup of the soup and adding it to a food processor or blender and processing until smooth before stirring it back into the soup.
Here are some more great soup recipes to try soon!
- LASAGNA SOUP
- CROCKPOT CHICKEN TACO SOUP
- ZUCCHINI SAUSAGE SOUP
- EASY SLOW COOKER HAM AND BEANS SOUP
- SLOW COOKER FRENCH ONION SOUP
- MEXICAN CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER
- OLIVE GARDEN CHICKEN GNOCCHI SOUP
- 30-MINUTE WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
- CHICKEN ALFREDO SOUP
- BOLD THREE-MEAT CROCKPOT CHILI
- THREE CHEESE SOUP
- CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
You’re going to love this easy go-to taco soup. It’s sure to become an instant favorite in your house as it has in mine. Made with just a few ingredients it comes together quickly and effortlessly.