Crockpot Chili recipe made with beef, pork and bacon that has a fantastic bold flavor. This 3 meat slow cooker chili is the best chili recipe for cool nights, tailgating, or both.
Sometimes you’re just in the mood for a hot bowl of bold, flavorful chili. Am I right? You bet I am! Especially in the dead of winter when it’s below freezing outside and you’re craving some cheese-topped comfort food. With Crockpot Chili all you have to do is pile all the ingredients in the crockpot and let it do the work.
Best Meat for Chili
I LOVE this recipe for chili because a lot of the flavor comes from the 3 different kinds of meat. You’ll need 1 pound each of ground beef, ground pork and bacon. Doesn’t that sound incredible?! Other meat options are ground turkey, ground venison or even stew meat.
This is what you will need to make Bold Three Meat Crockpot Chili:
- Meat – 1 lb of ground beef, ground pork and bacon
- Cans of tomatoes- I like to add one 14 oz can of diced tomatoes undrained, 1 8-oz can of tomato sauce and 1 12-oz can of tomato paste
- Beef broth
- Chili powder
- Cans of beans, around 15 oz each, drained (I used kidney, chili and black beans for variety)
- Minced garlic
- Onion, diced
- Seasonings: oregano, cumin, salt
- Worcestershire sauce
- Brown sugar
How to make Homemade Chili in a Crockpot
This is how to make our Bold Three Meat Slow Cooker Chili:
First, cook all of the meat. I like to brown the ground beef and the ground pork together on the stovetop, while simultaneously cooking the bacon in the oven.
Next, combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low at least 6 hours, preferably 8-10 hours. Low and slow so that the flavors meld perfectly!
Top with cheese, sour cream and chives.
It’s that easy!
What to do when Crockpot Chili is too spicy
It is totally okay if your Crockpot Chili gets too spicy! My kids have different spiciness tolerance levels, so I have had to find ways to make this Slow Cooker chili less spicy after it’s been made.
Firstly, add more beans. Adding more beans dilutes the spiciness and is a big plus if your kids are bean lovers like mine.
Secondly, add milk. It makes the chili creamier, and totally pulls back the spiciness level of the chili, and usually any other spicy dish.
Adding sour cream or cheese is my favorite way to dilute spice. I add sour cream and cheese to my chili anyway, but that’s just because I love the taste! However, if you find you chili’s spiciness level got too out of hand, just add some extra sour cream and cheese and it will totally take it down a notch.
Also, the sugar in the ketchup will take the spice right out of the chili, so it you have no more options, it’ll work.
What to do when my Homemade Chili is too thick
Adding beef broth is the best way to thin chili. Don’t add water; it will just take the flavor right out of your delicious dish. I prefer to add beef broth, but you can add vegetable broth if you prefer.
Beans for Chili Recipe
I like to use 1 can each of red kidney beans, pinto beans and black beans for my chili. These beans hold up well under several hours of low temp cooking and I love how they look in chili.
After you cook the meat, you simply add all the other ingredients to your crockpot and cook the chili on low for 8 hours. You can serve it after only cooking 6 hours, but those extra 2 hours are worth the enhanced flavor from letting the ingredients meld.
BOLD THREE-MEAT CROCKPOT CHILI
- 3 lbs meat 1-lb each ground beef, pork and bacon
- 3 15 oz cans of beans kidney beans, pinto beans & black beans
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes NOT drained
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- Cook all of the meat. I like to brown the ground beef and the ground pork together on the stovetop, while simultaneously cooking the bacon in the oven.
- Dice bacon and drain beef/ pork mixture.
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low at least 6 hours, preferably 8-10 hours.
- Top with cheese, sour cream and chives.
Try these other crock pot recipes :
What toppings do you put on Crockpot Chili?
Like I said above, I love adding sour cream and cheese on my chili. However, there are tons of other toppings that people love. Depending on the crowd you’re feeding, people may want to add avocado, onion, lettuce, olives, fresh tomatoes, green onion, guacamole, tortilla chips, salsa, or even hot sauce on their chili.
Love this Chili recipe? Try these other stew recipes!
- Butternut Squash Stew Recipe
- Crockpot Beef Stew Recipe
- Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Stew Recipe
- Crockpot Beef Chili Recipe
- French Onion Tomato Soup Recipe
- Summer Vegetable Stew Recipe
Homemade Slow Cooker Chili has 3 different kinds of meat! Crockpot Chili recipe made with beef, pork and bacon that’s loaded with fantastic bold flavor. Best Homemade Chili that serves a crowd!