What is White Chicken Chili?
Unlike traditional chili recipes that are tomato based and filled with ground meats, white chicken chili is filled with white beans, cooked chicken breast, and a little milk in the broth to help get a white color. There are no tomatoes, but the flavors that are here are fantastic and hearty. Fun fact: While tomato based chilis have been around for ages, white bean chili wasn’t actually around until the late 1980s!
30-Minute White Chicken Chili Ingredients
-Extra virgin olive oil: You can use another oil variety if needed, but 3 tablespoons of it are needed to help cook down the chicken so that it doesn’t stick to the pot.
-Onion: We need 1 medium chopped onion to get a good aroma and flavor in this chili. Alternatively, you could use 1 tablespoon of onion powder in a pinch.
-Green Chilies: With a 4 ounce can of drained green chilies we can get some subtle green color in this soup and have a ton of delicious flavor.
-Flour: This is a thickener for this chili as well as another way to get that white color. We need 3 tablespoons of it to help our chili base.
-Seasonings. We will need 2 teaspoons of ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of seasoned salt, and a dash of chipotle chili powder to add a little spice and rounded flavors.
-Garlic: We want 1 teaspoon of minced garlic to help add a little more flavor and aromatics into this chili.
-Canned White Beans: Using 3 cans of 16 ounce Great Northern Beans (or a combination of them and Garbanzo Beans) we can get the protein and white color we want.
-Chicken broth: The base of this chili is a 14.5-ounce container of chicken broth.
-Chicken breasts: We want 1 pound of chopped chicken breast (this is roughly 3 cups of chopped chicken).
-Evaporated milk: We want 1 cup of evaporated milk, but regular milk could also work if you have it on hand.
How to Make White Chicken Chili
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add in the chopped chicken. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink. You could also use previously cooked chicken to cut down on time here. Remove cooked chicken from pot.
Add the onion to the pot and cook until they are translucent (about 2-3 minutes).
Add in the green chilies, flour, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and seasoning salt. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Add in the beans, the chicken broth, and the chicken. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
Add in the evaporated milk and stir again.
Garnish with cheese, sour cream, and salsa if desired. Enjoy!
30 Minute White Chicken Chili
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 med onion, chopped (or use 1 TBSP onion powder)
- 4 oz can green chilies, drained
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Season-All salt (seasoned salt)
- 1 tsp garlic
- 48 oz cans great northern beans three 16 oz cans
- 14.5 oz can chicken broth
- 3 cups chicken breast, chopped 1-lb
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 dash Chipotle Chili Powder
- In large saucepan, heat olive oil, add chopped chicken and cook until no longer pink. (Or use cooked chicken that you'd already bagged and frozen like I used- it saves time!)
- Add onion and cook until transparent. Add chilies, flour, cumin, garlic, chili powder, and Season All; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add beans, chicken broth and chicken; bring to a boil; reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Add evaporated milk and stir.
- Garnish with cheese, sour cream and salsa, if desired.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How Do I thicken White Chicken Chili?
Does Chili Taste Better the Longer it Cooks?
Can You Freeze White Chicken Chili?
More delicious recipes you’ll want to try soon!
- Easy Chili Recipe
- Vegetarian Enchiladas with Spinach
- Easy Indian Butter Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Vegetable Alfredo
- Bold Three Meat Chili
- Summer Vegetable Stew
- Smoky Instant Pot Baked Beans
- Coca Cola Chicken
- Chicken Chili Pasta Bake
- Easy Blender Salsa
- Frito Corn Salad
- Homemade Cornbread
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Baked Chicken Taquitos
- Chicken Nachos with Homemade Cheese Sauce
With 30 minute white chicken chili you can have a flavorful bowl of comforting soup in no time flat. From start to finish, this recipe is easy and simple- just the way we like it! White Chicken Chili is a delicious & comforting meal packed with white beans, chicken, and green chilies. Takes only 30 minutes from start to finish!
Have you ever thought about publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other blogs?
I have a blog based on the same topics you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my visitors would value your work.
If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an email.