Strawberry Crumb Bars have an incredible buttery crumb base, with fresh diced strawberries and topped with a delightful sweet topping. This strawberry crumb cake recipe is perfect for any occasion, take it to your next family gathering and watch how quickly it disappears.
Making these fruit crumb bars is so simple, most of the ingredients are likely already in your kitchen and the results are absolutely amazing. This strawberry crumb bar recipe is a great treat to make after you stopped at the local farmers market and picked up a flat of these red ripe berries.
Easy Fruit Crumb Bars
Our family absolutely adores fresh strawberries, so any reason to use them in a recipe is good enough for me. I have had crumb bars in the past that were made with jam and this version is made with fresh strawberries. The flavor is amazing and they are not overly sweet, which I appreciate. These dessert bars are so simple to make too, other than the strawberries, you likely have everything you need in your pantry. These are a great treat to whip up on a whim, they come together quick and you can have a tasty treat baking and ready in just 1 hour.
Why we think you will adore this easy crumb cake recipe
If you are not already gathering the ingredients to make this treat, here are some reasons to convince you to do so.
- Amazing flavor. The combination of flavors is one you will not soon forget. The sweet crumble mixed with the fresh strawberries makes for an incredibly delicious and satisfying dessert.
- Versatile and fun. I love this recipe because you can create fun new variations every time you make it. Change up the berry for another kind, try blueberries or raspberries, whatever you happen to have in your kitchen will do.
- Simple to make. This recipe is SO easy to make, the crumble topping comes together fast and baking time is under an hour. You have no reason not to give this recipe a try.
Strawberry Crumb Bar Ingredients
Flour: You will need 1 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour for the base of the crumble.
Brown sugar: Use 3/4 cup of light brown sugar, divided, this will give the crumb topping a lovely sweet flavor.
Baking powder: Use ½ teaspoon of baking powder to help the bars puff up nicely as they bake.
Salt: Use ¼ teaspoon of salt to help bring out the natural flavors in this recipe.
Butter: You will need 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter, softened. This will help to bind together the dry streusel ingredients.
Egg: Add in 1 egg to help bind the ingredients together and create a great taste.
Strawberries: Using 2 cups of fresh strawberries, diced, gives this treat amazing fresh flavor.
Vanilla extract: You need 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract to help enhance all the amazing flavors.
Cornstarch: Add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to create the perfect texture in these dessert bars.
Step by step on how to make Strawberry Crumb Bars
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees F. Then, spray an 8×8 glass pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
Next, wash and remove the stems from the strawberries. Then dice them into quarter pieces, transfer them to a small bowl.
In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, ½ cup of the brown sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and the egg. Using 2 forks or a pastry cutter, mix the ingredients until well combined and crumbly.
Next, grab the bowl of diced strawberries and add in the remaining ¼ cup brown sugar, vanilla extract and cornstarch. Stir until well coated.
Assemble & bake
Proceed to press about ⅔ of the crumb mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup or an item with a flat surface to press it down into the pan. Pour the strawberries over the top, making sure they are evenly distributed over the crust. Then sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture on top.
Place the baking pan in the preheated oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, until light golden brown. Cool completely before cutting.
Cut into squares, serve and enjoy!
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar divided
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup 1 stick softened butter
- 1 egg
- 2 cups fresh strawberries diced
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 1 TBSP cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 glass pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the flour, 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and the egg. Use 2 forks or a pastry cutter to mix until well combined and crumbly.
- Place diced strawberries in a separate bowl and add remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, extract and cornstarch. Stir until well coated.
- Press about 2/3 of the crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to press it down into the pan. Top with strawberries, making sure they’re evenly distributed over the crust. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes; until light brown. Cool completely before cutting. Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
CAN I MAKE BERRY CRUMB BARS WITH ANY BERRY?
Yes, you can swap out the fresh strawberries for other tasty seasonal berries if desired. I think blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, or any combination of mixed berries would work perfectly for this recipe. If you choose a larger berry just be sure to cute it into small pieces to achieve the best results.
HOW LONG ARE BERRY STREUSEL BARS GOOD FOR?
These bars are good for about 3-5 days if kept stored in an airtight container in the fridge. This should give you plenty of time to enjoy them with the family. If desired you can reheat your slice in the microwave (on a microwave-safe plate) to get back some of that fresh from the oven warmth that makes these bars so incredible.
CAN I FREEZE CRUMBLE BARS?
You sure can! These can be stored and froze for up to one month, after that the crumble topping will start to loose the desired consistency. Be sure to store in an airtight container, keep the freezer burn from ruining this tasty treat.
Love strawberries? Try more recipes here to enjoy this fruit!
- Easy Strawberry Trifle recipe
- Strawberry Jello Pretzel Salad recipe
- Easy Strawberry Crisp recipe
- Easy No-Pectin Strawberry Jam
- Mini Glazed Strawberry Cupcakes
- Strawberry Ice Cream Pie
- Glazed Strawberry Fruit Pizza
- Frosted Strawberry Cookies
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bites
- Easy Strawberry Butter
- Quick Strawberry Ice Cream recipe
- Strawberry Mousse
- Strawberry Chocolate Bundt Cake
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake
Strawberry Crumb Bars have a sensational rich crumb base, with fresh strawberries and topped with an amazing sweet topping. This strawberry crumb cake recipe is perfect for any occasion, take it to your next family gathering and watch how quickly it disappears.