Best Homemade Biscuit Recipe made from scratch for a soft, flaky biscuit! These biscuits have a light, buttery flavor and are easy to make & perfect to go alongside dinner!
This easy biscuit recipe will easily become your new favorite, watch the updated video with expert advice on how to make homemade biscuits.
Homemade Buttery Biscuits
My family and I love having fresh bread with dinner, but sometimes I just do not have time to make homemade bread from scratch. Enter my favorite biscuit recipe! These are so simple to make and they have great consistency and flavor. Do not let the sour cream confuse you either. You cannot taste it but it adds a nice flaky texture without requiring 2 pounds of lard. I think sour cream sounds much better than lard, don’t you agree?
Tips for making Easy Biscuit Recipe
Making homemade biscuits is very easy! You don’t need an electric mixer or any special tools (although I do love my Ateco Biscuit Cutters!) Keep it fast and simple!
Here are a few tips on how to make the best homemade biscuits:
- Do NOT overmix! Just use a mixing bowl and a rubber scraper or spoon. Don’t use any type of an electric mixer as it’s incredibly easy to over mix the dough. Aim to mix the dough about 15 times and that’s it! I find it usually takes about 15 turns of the rubber scraper to get the ingredients incorporated.
- Grating the butter really makes your life so much easier. I promise! It’s super fast and works really, really well for biscuit recipes. Just use a basic cheese grater and make sure your butter is cold. Grated butter adds a wonderful richness to these biscuits.
- Remember that the dough will be STICKY. Sticky dough yields soft, delicate biscuits with amazing texture. Don’t add a lot of flour when you’re patting the dough out and cutting it into biscuits. Use just enough to be able to cut the biscuits out into circles, that’s it. Yes it gets a bit messy. It’s okay, it will all be worth it! I like to spray my countertop with non-stick spray before I transfer the dough out on top of it, so that I use even less added flour.
- As with most baked goods, be sure to not over bake! That’s one quick way to have hard, dry biscuits, blech!
Ingredients needed for Sour Cream Biscuit Recipe:
Egg: You need 1 egg to help bind all the ingredients in this dough together well.
Sour Cream: Using 1 cup sour cream will provide wonderful moisture and texture to these biscuits.
Sugar: Using 1 tablespoon of sugar will give just the right amount of sweetness to this dough.
Butter: You need a ¼ cup butter for these biscuits. See tip# 2 above for a butter hack that will be helpful.
Flour: Use 2 cups of all purpose flour for the base and structure of this biscuit recipe.
Baking Powder: You need 1 teaspoon of baking powder to help the biscuits rise nicely as they bake.
Baking Soda: Use ½ teaspoon of baking soda for proper leavening agent in this recipe.
Salt: Adding ¾ teaspoon of salt will help enhance all the flavors really well.
How to make Homemade Biscuits
To make homemade biscuits, first you will need to preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Then, spray an 8×8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
In a large size bowl, crack the egg and beat with a fork. Next, add in the sour cream and sugar, whisk to combine.
Next, grate the cold butter into the mixing bowl, stir just enough to mix. Grating butter is a super-fast way to mix small chunks of butter into the dough without taking time to roll the dough multiple times. As a matter of fact, you don’t roll the dough out at all with this recipe!
Then, add in the remaining dry ingredients, the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir just until mixed, the dough will be very sticky.
After that, lightly flour a countertop and use a rubber scraper to scrape the dough from the bowl onto the counter. Sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough and lightly knead a few times. Proceed to shape it into a mound and pat dough out to 1″ thickness. I just use my hands for this step, it is just as easy.
Then, spray a biscuit cutter with non-stick spray. If you don’t have a cutter, you can use the open end of a cup, canning jar rings or simply cut them with a knife and form balls. Cut the dough to form 9 biscuits. If you have leftover dough, divide it up, pat each piece flat and place it on the underside of each of the 9 biscuits.
Place the biscuits in the prepared greased pan with the sides of the biscuits almost or barely touching. Pat the tops down slightly so that they are smooth on top. Then bake the biscuits in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
Enjoy the biscuits warm, topped butter or better yet, with our Strawberry Freezer Jam! Serve and enjoy!
Homemade Biscuit Recipe with Sour Cream
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Then, spray an 8×8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Dough: In a large size bowl, crack the egg and beat with a fork. Add in the sour cream and sugar, whisk to combine. Next, grate the cold butter into the mixing bowl, stir just enough to mix.
- Then, add in the remaining dry ingredients, the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir just until mixed, the dough will be very sticky.
- Shape biscuits: Lightly flour a countertop and use a rubber scraper to scrape the dough from the bowl onto the counter. Sprinkle a little flour on top and lightly knead a few times. Shape it into a mound and pat dough out to 1" thickness.
- Spray a biscuit cutter with non-stick spray. If you don't have a cutter, you can use the open end of a cup, canning jar rings or simply cut them with a knife and form balls. Cut the dough to form 9 biscuits. If you have leftover dough, divide it up, pat each piece flat and place it on the underside of each of the 9 biscuits.
- Bake: Place the biscuits in the prepared greased pan with the sides of the biscuits almost or barely touching. Pat the tops down slightly so that they are smooth on top. Bake the biscuits in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Enjoy the biscuits warm, topped butter or better yet, with our Strawberry Freezer Jam! Serve and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Can you freeze Homemade Biscuits?
Yes, you can freeze homemade biscuits in an airtight container for up to 1 month. I find after that 4 week mark, the texture and flavor of the biscuits suffer. Since these are so simple to make, whip up a fresh batch any time you want to enjoy some hot biscuits!
Can you freeze homemade biscuit dough?
Yes, you can freeze the unbaked homemade biscuit dough that’s been shaped into biscuits. Simply place the formed biscuits on a parchment lined baking tray and freeze for several hours. Once solid, transfer to an airtight container and freeze for 2-3 months. Once you’re ready to bake the biscuits, place them in an 8×8 greased pan and let them sit out several hours, until thawed. Proceed with the rest of the recipe, baking for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Why use Sour Cream for this recipe?
This recipe for biscuits uses sour cream. That may seem odd, but it replaces additional butter (or lard, which was what a lot of recipes called for!) and yields soft, flaky biscuits. Adding sour cream to this biscuit recipe improves the texture. You can also use plain yogurt- regular or Greek yogurt- in place of sour cream, if that’s what you have on hand.
Can you freeze sour cream?
Yes, you can freeze sour cream! Freezing does alter the texture slightly though so I find it’s best to use sour cream in recipes that are either baked or cooked in another way after you’ve thawed it. We use sour cream in our Banana Cream Pie Cookies, our Chicken Cream Cheese Dip and our Lemon Glazed Mini Cupcakes!
Need more biscuit and dinner roll recipes? Here you go!
- Blueberry Buttermilk Biscuits
- Cinnamon Biscuits with Honey Butter
- Easy Parmesan Garlic Dinner Rolls
- Easy 30-Minute Dinner Rolls
- Raspberry Honey Butter spread
- Cheesy Cornbread Muffins
- Best Blueberry Muffins
- Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Strawberry Butter recipe
- Parmesan Garlic Dinner Rolls
- Homemade English Muffins
- Nutella Banana Muffins recipe
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Sweet Orange Dinner Rolls
Homemade Biscuit Recipe made from scratch quickly, to create a wonderful, fluffy, and buttery treat. These biscuits from scratch have amazing flavor, and are easier to make then you might think!