Homemade Biscuit Recipe is so simple and made from scratch in just minutes. This easy biscuit recipe will give your biscuits the most perfect soft, flaky texture with fantastic buttery flavor . This will easily become your new favorite biscuit recipe! Updated with video and expert advice on how to make homemade biscuits.
Our Homemade Biscuits are fantastic served with Creamy Vegetable Soup, Zuppa Toscana or The Best Slow Cooker Beef Stew. Try our Easy Apple Dumplings or Chocolate Coca Cola Cake for dessert!
My family and I love having fresh bread with dinner, but sometimes I just do not have time to make homemade bread from scratch. Enter my favorite biscuit recipe! These are so simple to make and they have great consistency and flavor. Do not let the sour cream confuse you either. You cannot taste it but it adds a nice flaky texture without requiring 2 pounds of lard. I think sour cream sounds much better than lard, don’t you agree?
Tips for making Easy Biscuit Recipe
Making homemade biscuits is very easy! You don’t need an electric mixer or any special tools (although I do love my Ateco Biscuit Cutters!) Keep it fast and simple!
Here are a few tips on how to make the best homemade biscuits:
- Do NOT overmix! Just use a mixing bowl and a rubber scraper or spoon. Don’t use any type of an electric mixer as it’s incredibly easy to over mix the dough. Aim to mix the dough about 15 times and that’s it! I find it usually takes about 15 turns of the rubber scraper to get the ingredients incorporated.
- Grating the butter really makes your life so much easier. I promise! It’s super fast and works really, really well for biscuit recipes. Just use a basic cheese grater and make sure your butter is cold. Grated butter adds a wonderful richness to these biscuits.
- Remember that the dough will be STICKY. Sticky dough yields soft, delicate biscuits with amazing texture. Don’t add a lot of flour when you’re patting the dough out and cutting it into biscuits. Use just enough to be able to cut the biscuits out into circles, that’s it. Yes it gets a bit messy. It’s okay, it will all be worth it! I like to spray my countertop with non-stick spray before I transfer the dough out on top of it, so that I use even less added flour.
- As with most baked goods, be sure to not over bake! That’s one quick way to have hard, dry biscuits, blech!
Ingredients needed for Sour Cream Biscuit Recipe:
-Egg: You need 1 egg to help bind the dough for this recipe.
-Sour Cream: Using 1 cup sour cream will provide wonderful moisture and texture to these biscuits.
-Sugar: Using 1 TBSP of sugar will give just the right amount of sweetness.
-Butter: You need a ¼ cup butter, see tip#2 above for butter hack that will be helpful.
-Flour: Use 2 cups of all purpose flour for the base of this biscuit recipe.
-Baking Powder: You need 1 TSP baking powder to help the biscuits rise nicely.
-Baking Soda: Use ½ TSP baking soda for proper leavening agents.
-Salt: ¾ TSP of salt will help enhance the flavors really well.
How to make Homemade Biscuits
To make Homemade Biscuits, first you will need to preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Then, spray an 8×8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
In a large size bowl, crack the egg and beat with a fork. Next, add the sour cream and sugar.
Grate the cold butter into the mixing bowl, stir just enough to mix. Grating butter is a super fast way to mix small chunks of butter into the dough without taking time to roll the dough multiple times. As a matter of fact, you don’t roll the dough out at all with this recipe!
Add in the remaining dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir just until mixed, dough will be sticky.
How to shape Homemade Biscuits
Lightly flour a counter top and use a rubber scraper to scrape the dough out from the bowl. Sprinkle some additional flour on top and lightly knead a few times. Shape it into a mound and pat dough out to 1″ thickness. I just use my hands!
Spray biscuit cutters with non-stick spray. If you don’t have cutters, you can use the open end of a cup, canning jar rings or simply cut them with a knife and form balls. Cut dough to form 9 biscuits. If you have leftover dough, divide it up, pat each piece flat and place it on the underside of each of the 9 biscuits.
Place the biscuits in the greased pan with the sides of the biscuits almost or barely touching. Pat the tops down slightly so that they are smooth on top.
Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
Serve warm topped butter or better yet, with our Strawberry Freezer Jam!
Homemade Biscuit Recipe with Sour Cream
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 TBSP sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 TSP baking powder
- ½ TSP baking soda
- ¾ TSP salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Then, spray an 8x8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Crack the egg in a large bowl and beat with a fork. Next, add the sour cream and sugar. Add in the remaining dry ingredients and stir just until mixed. Dough will be sticky.
- Grate the cold butter into the mixing bowl, stir just enough to mix.
- Then, add in the remaining dry ingredients and stir just until mixed. Dough will be sticky.
- Lightly flour a counter top and use a rubber scraper to scrape the dough out from the bowl. Sprinkle some additional flour on top and lightly knead a few times. Shape it into a mound and pat dough out to 1" thickness. I just use my hands!
- Spray biscuit cutter with non-stick spray. If you don't have cutters, you can use the open end of a cup, canning jar rings or simply cut them with a knife and form balls. Cut dough to form 9 biscuits. If you have leftover dough, divide it up, pat each piece flat and place it on the underside of each of the 9 biscuits.
- Place the biscuits in the greased pan. Pat the tops down slightly so that they're smoother on top.
- Bake 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
Can you freeze Homemade Biscuits?
Yes, you can freeze homemade biscuits in an airtight container for up to 1 month. I find after that 4 week mark, the texture and flavor of the biscuits suffer.
Can you freeze homemade biscuit dough?
Yes, you can freeze the unbaked homemade biscuit dough that’s been shaped into biscuits. Simply place the formed biscuits on a parchment lined baking tray and freeze for several hours. Once solid, transfer to an airtight container and freeze for 2-3 months. Once you’re ready to bake the biscuits, place them in an 8×8 greased pan and let them sit out several hours, until thawed. Proceed with the rest of the recipe, baking for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Why use Sour Cream for this recipe?
Can you freeze sour cream?
Need more biscuit and dinner roll recipes? Here you go!
- Blueberry Buttermilk Biscuits
- Cinnamon Biscuits with Honey Butter
- Easy Parmesan Garlic Dinner Rolls
- Easy 30-Minute Dinner Rolls
- Raspberry Honey Butter spread
- Cheesy Cornbread Muffins
- Best Blueberry Muffins
- Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Strawberry Butter recipe
- Homemade English Muffins
- Nutella Banana Muffins recipe
- Banana Nut Muffins
Easy Biscuit Recipe made from scratch in minutes using sour cream. Perfect soft, flaky texture with fantastic buttery flavor. This homemade biscuit recipe has been in our family for years & will be your new favorite biscuit recipe! Updated with video and expert advice on how to make homemade biscuits.