Sweet Potato Biscuits have great flavor and an amazing flaky, buttery texture. These easy homemade biscuits are a delightful variation on traditional biscuits.
Making this sweet potato biscuit recipe is so simple, most of the ingredients are likely already in your kitchen and there is no rising time. Serve these homemade sweet potato biscuits at your next family dinner and watch how quickly they disappear.
Simple Sweet Potato Biscuits
I love making biscuits to go with dinner and am always looking for fun new recipes to try. I found this one in an old cookbook, made some tweaks and absolutely love how they turned out. They have great flavor and a lovely flaky texture. These biscuits are so perfect served alongside soup or stew on a cold day. When served watch how quickly they are eaten up, no one can resist a savory biscuit like this.
Why we think you will love this homemade biscuit recipe
If you aren’t already gathering the ingredients to make these amazing biscuits, here are a few reasons to give them a try.
- Simple ingredients. We make this easy recipe from scratch using basic kitchen staple ingredients like flour, baking powder, brown sugar, and milk. Things you most likely already have on hand, all you might need are the sweet potatoes!
- They are delicious any day of the week. It does not matter what day of the week it is, having homemade biscuits does not have to be a chore anymore. You can whip up a batch of these biscuits easily while the rest of your dinner is cooking.
- Score major points! It is no secret, everyone loves a bread option with dinner. And when you serve these fresh baked biscuits your family is sure to rejoice. They don’t have to know how easy they are to make, take the credit when you can!
Sweet Potato Biscuit Ingredients
Flour: For the base of this biscuit recipe you will need 2 1/2 cups of flour.
Brown sugar: Add in 1/4 cup of brown sugar to create a nice depth of sweet flavor.
Baking powder: To help the biscuits rise as they bake use 3 teaspoons of baking powder.
Salt: Balance all the amazing flavors by adding in 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
Cinnamon: You need 1 teaspoon of cinnamon for a wonderful warm spice.
Ginger: Adding in 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger gives this recipe great taste.
Allspice: For even more amazing flavor, use 1/4 teaspoon of allspice.
Butter: You will need 1/2 cup of cold butter (1 stick) to give these biscuits great texture and a rich taste.
Swett potato: Using 3/4 cup of mashed sweet potatoes is a fantastic addition to these biscuits.
Milk: Add in 1/2 cup of milk for an incredible consistency to this dough.
Pecans: For incredible flavor and a nice crunchy addition, use 1/2 cup of chopped pecans.
Easy step by step how to make sweet potato biscuits
Begin by preheating the oven to 425 degree F. Then, grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set it aside.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and all the spices (cinnamon, ginger and allspice). Then, cut in the butter until it is all incorporated. Also see a trick for cutting in the butter in the notes below.
Next, in a separate small bowl mix together the mashed sweet potatoes and milk, then stir this wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Now, add in the pecans and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
After that, turn the dough onto a floured or greased surface and knead 10-12 times or until smooth. Proceed to roll out to 1/2″ thickness. Continue to cut with a 2-1/2″ biscuit cutter- these Ateco cutters are my favorite! Place into the prepared greased baking sheet.
Put the biscuits in the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
Serve warm and enjoy!
Tips for how to make the best homemade biscuits:
Here are just a few tips and tricks for making the best biscuits at home.
- Do NOT overmix! Just use a mixing bowl and a rubber scraper or spoon. Do not use any type of electric mixer as it is incredibly easy to over mix the dough. Aim to mix the dough about 15 times and that is it. I find it usually takes about 15 turns of the rubber scraper to get the ingredients incorporated.
- Grating the butter really makes your life so much easier. I promise, this is a trick you will want to remember! It is super fast and works really, really well for biscuit recipes. Just use a basic cheese grater and make sure your butter is cold. Grated butter adds a wonderful richness to these biscuits.
- Remember that the dough will be STICKY. Sticky dough yields soft, delicate biscuits with amazing texture. Don’t add a lot of flour when you are patting the dough out and cutting it into biscuits. Use just enough to be able to cut the biscuits out into circles, that is it. Yes it gets a bit messy. It is okay, it will all be worth it. I like to spray my countertop with non-stick spray before I transfer the dough out on top of it, so that I use even less added flour.
SWEET POTATO BISCUITS
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ½ cup cold butter 1 stick
- ¾ cup mashed sweet potatoes
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Prep: Begin by preheating the oven to 425 degree F. Then, grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set it aside.
- Dough: In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and all the spices (cinnamon, ginger and allspice). Then, cut in the butter until it is all incorporated. Also see a trick for cutting in the butter in the notes below. Next, in a separate small bowl mix together the mashed sweet potatoes and milk, then stir this wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Now, add in the pecans and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- After that, turn the dough onto a floured or greased surface and knead 10-12 times or until smooth. Proceed to roll out to 1/2"thickness. Continue to cut with a 2-1/2" biscuit cutter- these Ateco cutters are my favorite! Place into the prepared greased baking sheet.
- Put the biscuits in the preheated oven and bake for 10-12minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Serve warm and enjoy!
CAN YOU MAKE SWEET POTATO BISCUITS AHEAD OF TIME?
You sure can! If you want to have a quick and delicious side dish ready for later, you can complete all the steps in this recipe right up until the baking part. Cover the dish with foil and put it in your refrigerator. When you come home later you can just pop it in the oven and bake it, homemade biscuits ready in no time!
CAN YOU FREEZE HOMEMADE BISCUITS?
These tasty biscuits can be frozen and stored for up to 3 months. When you are ready to enjoy, let thaw on the counter for an hour. You can even heat them up for 10 minutes or so in the oven set at 350 degrees F.
HOW DO I KEEP BISCUITS FRESH LONGER?
One easy way to keep biscuits fresher longer is to push all the excess air from the bag before it is sealed. Air in the bag will make the bread dry out faster. Also, you can wrap each one individually to keep it nice and fresh.
Need more biscuit and dinner roll recipes? Here you go!
- Best Homemade Biscuit Recipe
- Easy Parmesan Garlic Dinner Rolls
- Easy 30-Minute Dinner Rolls
- Raspberry Honey Butter spread
- Cheesy Cornbread Muffins
- Best Blueberry Muffins
- Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Strawberry Butter recipe
- Homemade English Muffins
- Nutella Banana Muffins recipe
- Banana Nut Muffins
Sweet Potato Biscuits have amazing flavor and a nice flaky, buttery texture. These easy homemade biscuits are an incredible variation on traditional biscuits.