DAIRY-FREE MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE “CREAM”

Dairy-Free Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Butter with a side of Bread

Both Amanda and I have dairy sensitivities, so while I certainly don’t make all our meals dairy-free, I do have a tendency to replace the dairy in many of our foods. For the most part, I don’t miss it at all, however, I seriously miss ice cream. More specifically, Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. It’s heavenly. While this is no exact replica, it’s amazingly good and even dairy-free!

One note about coconut milk: not all brands are created equal! I actually had 2 different kinds on hand when I made this the first time and one had twice the fat content of the other. Now fat is not really something you want swimming around in all your food but for ice cream, fat means that creamy consistency that everyone loves. So go for Thai Kitchen Unsweetened coconut milk- it works best for this recipe.

Also, if you want to jump-start the whole freezing- thickening process, put the cans of coconut milk in the fridge for a few hours prior to mixing.

Dairy-Free Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

• 2 cans Thai Kitchen unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup any other dairy-free milk- I used Silk Vanilla Soy
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. mint extract {not peppermint! Although if you want to go the more natural route, you can use 1-2 drops of peppermint essential oil.}
  • 1-2 oz grated vegan chocolate {you can get this at Walmart! I put it in the fridge for about 5 minutes then just grated a couple squares by hand}

Combine all ingredients, except the chocolate shavings and whisk to dissolve sugar. Pour into an ice cream maker. Follow the directions on your ice cream maker to begin mixing- mine just requires the push of a button.

When mixture has thickened slightly, add the grated chocolate, a little at a time.

After about 30 minutes, transfer mixture to a freezer-safe container and freeze until solid, about 4-5 hours.

Enjoy!
Dairy-Free Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Butter with a side of Bread

Dairy-Free Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Butter with a side of Bread

Comments

Yum, sounds deeelicious! I've been dairy free for several months now, and I totally miss ice cream and cheese. So it's always nice to find recipes that make up for those losses! Now all I need to get is an ice cream maker- it's on my wish list! Right now my "ice cream" is frozen bananas blended up with a scoop of peanut butter and cocoa powder,and frozen till solid. It's

Heather- TRY it! You&#39;ll love it! <br /><br />I tried that recipe too- I apparently have issues with peanut butter ice cream. :( I tried another with Nutella and it was sooooo gross!! Way too thick. I did create a dairy-free fudgesicle recipe though that&#39;s awesome- I&#39;ll have to post that one too!

Bless you!!! I&#39;ve got dairy allergies, but don&#39;t usually let that stop me from eating ice cream (but I certainly pay the price)! However, my 6 month old is EXTREMELY allergic to dairy, so while nursing her I have to be absolutely 100% dairy, egg and beef free. Not such a big deal, except that I totally miss ranch dressing, cheese and most of all, ice cream. I&#39;ve tried the soy

Heidi- I updated it to 1-2 drops. I accidentally put 3 drops in a glass of water tonite and thought I was going to die, lol. <br /><br />I like the store-bought soy ice cream, but HELLO- $6 for a pint that I can eat in one sitting? No thank you! ­čśë

Thank you! I love so delicious mint chocolate chip coconut ice cream, and this sounds like it will taste very similar but for a fraction of the cost! I have followed your coupon blog for a while and will now bookmark this one!

Sure- You can substitute in rice milk or soy milk for the coconut milk. Your &quot;ice cream&quot; will just have an icier texture to it since there&#39;s less fat. I bet your son won&#39;t mind at all though!