Grape Wassail Recipe is one of our favorite holiday beverages that is delicious and satisfying. This hot wassail recipe is a perfect way to enjoy this holiday beverage all year round!
Cinnamon, orange juice, lemons, and grape juice come together like never before with this amazing wassail recipe. Made as a family-friendly drink, this is a hot wassail that you will want to share with family and friends!
What is Wassail?
Wassail is a spiced apple cider drink usually spiked with booze and served around the holiday seasons. It is mostly served warm for added comfort in every sip. But we have given our drink a little twist to give us more variety and be able to enjoy it all year round, not just during the holidays. The word itself “wassail” comes from an Anglo-Saxon phrase “waes hael”, meaning “good health”. So we like to think that this recipe is good for us, let us drink to our good health!
Why we think you will love this recipe!
This drink is sure to be a big hit in your house, here are a few reasons why we think you are really going to enjoy it!
- It smells as good as it tastes. This is saying a lot considering how irresistibly good the drink is, but the smells of cinnamon, orange juice, and grapes together is going to make your house smell like a wonderful candle shop.
- It is festive. Nothing says festive drinks like a mug full of something warm and spiced, but when you add in the colors and garnishes, your drink will truly look like it walked right off of a Hallmark movie set.
- This drink is really easy to make. Make it in a large batch or keep it small for just the family, and you will need very little effort either way. Just mix and simmer until ready.
Grape Wassail Ingredients
Water: You will need 4 cups of water for this drink recipe.
Sugar: Add ¾ cups of granulated sugar to make the drink sweeter, but you can add in more or less depending on your tastes.
Cinnamon: Use 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon for added warmth and spiced taste in every sip.
Grape juice: You will need 4 cups of grape juice. Another alternate flavor that is delicious is cranberry grape juice, if you want to mix it up a little bit.
Orange juice: Adding in 2 ½ cups of orange juice will really help to make this drink shine. We like using Sunny Delight but any orange juice will work.
Fresh lemon: Use 1 fresh sliced lemon for added freshness and citrus taste.
How to Make Grape Wassail
In a large pot, combine the water, sugar, and cinnamon, cook on medium to high heat on the stove.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes.
Next, add in the grape juice, orange juice, and one freshly sliced lemon.
Let the wassail simmer for another 15 minutes.
Serve immediately warm and enjoy!
When to Serve Grape Wassail
This warm wassail recipe is perfect for serving up on Christmas mornings and throughout the entire holiday season. Wake up to a nice pot of it on Christmas morning or serve it with Sunday’s dinner, and it’s sure to be enjoyed either way. Because we have shifted away from the typical flavor of apple, we feel like this drink can and should be enjoyed year round. Make a pot for your next family gathering, it can be kid friendly or each cup spiked for adults! It is a great specialty beverage that your guests are sure to enjoy!
- 4 cups water
- ¾ cup sugar plus/minus depending on your taste
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 cups grape or cran-grape juice
- 2 ½ cups Sunny Delight or orange juice
- 1 fresh lemon sliced
- In a large pot, combine the water, sugar, and cinnamon, cook on medium to high heat on the stove.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Next, add in the grape juice, orange juice, and one freshly sliced lemon.
- Let the wassail simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
What are some good garnishes for grape wassail?
Some great garnish ideas for this drink include sliced oranges, lemons, cinnamon sticks, or even anise stars.
Can wassail be served cold?
Yes, you can serve this drink cold if desired. To do this, cook it as directed and allow it to cool before chilling it in the fridge for several hours.
Can wassail be reheated?
Yes, we often reheat a glass of this delicious wassail before bedtime. Reheating it is as easy as pouring your wassail into a pot and heating over medium/low until warmed through.
Can you freeze wassail?
I haven’t tried this, but I don’t see why not. If you have an airtight container you can freeze your leftover drink for later and just reheat it when you are ready to serve.
Check out these other delicious beverages that you may enjoy!
- BANANA SPLIT HOT CHOCOLATE
- DIRTY CHERRY DR PEPPER FLOAT
- BERRIES & CREAM SPARKLERS
- SKINNY OREO MILKSHAKE
- LAYERED SHIRLEY TEMPLES
- SPICED CARAMEL APPLE CIDER
- HOT VANILLA MILK
- RASPBERRY CHEESECAKE SHAKES
- EASY JELLO MILKSHAKES
- HOMEMADE PEACH SLURPEES
- STRAWBERRY BANANA ICE CREAM FLOAT
- EASY EGGLESS EGGNOG RECIPE
This grape wassail recipe is a perfectly warm and spiced holiday drink and a fun twist on a traditional classic. Your family will love this nonalcoholic version of a winter favorite.