These dirty Dr. Pepper Cherry Floats are tasty drinks that are perfect on a hot summer’s day. With coconut, lime, and a can of your favorite soda you can create these non-alcoholic drinks in your very own home!
You’re going to love these Dirty Dr. Pepper Floats as much as we do, I’m sure of it. With the hot summer’s day beating down and school finally being out of session there’s nothing better than grabbing the kids and sending them outside with bubbles, outdoor toys, and icy cold drinks to chill them down. These floats are easy to make and oh-so-delicious to enjoy.
What Are Dirty Dr. Pepper Cherry Floats?
While I know that a majority of people will read the word “dirty” in front of a drink and instantly think that there’s alcohol inside, I want to clarify that here in Utah, “dirty” simply means two things. Coconut, and lime. Combining those with Dr. Pepper Cherry Soda and some ice cream we have a tasty float recipe that’s perfect for a hot day. And trust me, it’s delightful!
Dirty Dr. Pepper Cherry Ice Cream Float Ingredients
-Dr. Pepper Cherry Soda: We only need 1 can per two floats.
-Vanilla Ice cream: Use your favorite brand of vanilla ice cream to go in every float and you know it’s going to be extra tasty.
-Cream of Coconut: I found the cream of coconut in the mixed beverage section of my grocery store and using 2 tablespoons of it in these drinks really works wonders.
-Lime: We want fresh lime, cut into wedges and used as a fun garnish on the glass, along with juice to go inside. It helps to seal the tropical feeling we’re going for.
-Whipped Cream: Adding whipped cream to the top of the drinks makes them more fun and delicious!
-Cherries: Optionally for a fun garnish you can top the drinks off with cherries like maraschino or fresh cherries depending on what you have or want.
How to Make Dirty Dr. Pepper Cherry Ice Cream Float
Pour about 1/4 cup of the Dr. Pepper soda into the bottom of each glass.
Scoop out the vanilla ice cream and fill each glass until it’s about 3/4 of the way full.
Pour one tablespoon of cream of coconut into each glass along with the juice of 1/4 of the lime.
Top the cups off with another 1/4 cup of Dr. Pepper.
Garnish with whipped cream, cherries, and lime wedges.
- 1 can Dr. Pepper® Cherry soda
- vanilla ice cream
- 2 TBSP Cream of Coconut found in the mixed beverage section*
- 1 fresh lime cut into quarters
- whipped cream and cherries for topping
- Pour about 1/4 cup of Dr. Pepper into the bottom of each glass. Then scoop out some ice cream until about 3/4 of the glass is full. Pour 1 TBSP of the cream of coconut into each glass, along with the juice of 1/4 lime. Top with another 1/4 cup of Dr. Pepper. Garnish with whipped cream, a cherry and a lime wedge.
- *Many "dirty" soft drink recipes call for coconut syrup, but it's so hard to find I substituted this Cream of Coconut and it tastes so much better! Mmmm!
Can this recipe be made using other sodas?
Yes, you can use cherry coke or any other cherry variety of sodas if desired. I even this that using cherry 7-Up could create a tropical float that would be perfect for summer!
Can I make this float recipe in advance?
No, due to the fact that the ice cream will melt and the soda will lose its bubbliness the longer it sits out it’s best not to make this recipe until you’re ready to enjoy it. That said, you can cut the lime wedges and keep them stored in the fridge in advance to save you a moment or two.
Other tasty beverage ideas to try soon
- Skinny Oreo Milkshake
- Spiced Caramel Apple Cider
- Raspberry Cheesecake Shakes
- Homemade Peach Slurpees
- Easy Eggless Eggnog Recipe
- Homemade Orange Julius
- 3 Ingredient Strawberry Lemonade Punch
- Cherry Party Punch
- Italian Cream Soda Recipe
- Tropical Banana Sparklers
- Triple Berry “Green” Smoothie
- Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
- Berries and Cream Sparklers
- Sparkling Orange Slush
- Apple Pie Milkshakes
These dirty Dr. Pepper Cherry Floats are non-alcoholic drinks that are perfect for kids and fun for summer. Every recipe makes 2 wonderful floats to enjoy so don’t forget to double or triple them as needed so that there is enough to go around!