Coca-Cola Chicken is made with only 5 ingredients and creates a delicious dinner that the whole family will love. This easy chicken breast recipe with only a few ingredients is full of amazing flavor and comes together in just about 20 minutes!
This stovetop meal with chicken is sweet, tangy and when served over rice is a complete and satisfying meal. I love finding new healthy chicken breast recipes to try, this creation has become a new family favorite in our house and hope it does in yours too!
Easy Coca Cola Chicken Recipe
I don’t know about all of you, but dinner time is a little bit crazy around my house. Five kids and all of their activities does not allow for a ton of time for dinner prep most nights. So I am always looking for very simple dinner ideas that I can throw together quickly and easily. This Coca-Cola Chicken is a recipe that I discovered recently and my kids absolutely love it. We actually do not drink much soda in our house, but I have started keeping it on hand because it really is so delicious in this recipe. We like to serve the chicken over rice, but you can serve it with potatoes or pasta or any other side, it goes well with pretty much everything!
HOW TO SERVE COCA COLA CHICKEN
Here are a couple great ideas for making this easy stovetop chicken a complete meal.
- Serve this chicken over rice with a side of vegetables, this Coconut Rice is delicious and would make a great pairing. The flavor combination would taste incredible.
- Another great dish to pair this with would be these baked beans with bacon. The BBQ flavor would work great with some hearty baked beans.
- Or if your family is more of a meat and potatoes family, these Skillet Potatoes are absolutely incredible.
Coca-Cola Chicken Ingredients
Chicken: You will need 6 chicken breasts, cubed, for the base of this dinner recipe.
Butter: Adding in 6 tablespoons of butter will give this dish a great rich taste and assist in browning the onions.
Onion: Use 1 white onion, diced, to give this meal amazing flavor.
Ketchup: For a wonderful sauce texture, you will want to add in 1 cup of ketchup.
Soda: You need 12 oz. of Coca-Cola soda (regular, not diet), for the secret delicious ingredient in this recipe.
Step by step on how to make Coca-Cola Chicken
Begin by dicing the onion into small chunks. Also, cut the chicken into 1-2″ chunks and set aside.
Next, start melting the butter in a large frying pan, over medium heat. Then, add in the diced onions and cook until browned.
After that, add in the ketchup and bring to a slight boil. Now, pour in the Coca-Cola soda and bring to a boil again and then add in the chunks of chicken.
Proceed to let the chicken mixture simmer until the chicken is cooked through (internal temp of 165°) and sauce is desired consistency. I typically cook mine for about 10-15 minutes to get the chicken cooked all the way through, but your time may vary depending on how large your chicken pieces are. The longer the sauce boils, the thicker it will get.
Serve this chicken over rice or with your favorite side dish and enjoy!
- 6 chicken breasts cubed
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 12 oz. Coca-Cola regular, not diet
- Prep: Begin by dicing the onion into small chunks. Also, cut the chicken into 1-2" chunks and set aside.
- Boil: Next, start melting the butter in a large frying pan, over medium heat. Then, add in the diced onions and cook until browned. After that, add in the ketchup and bring to a slight boil. Now, pour in the Coca-Cola soda and bring to a boil again and then add in the chunks of chicken.
- Simmer: Proceed to let the chicken mixture simmer until the chicken is cooked through (internal temp of 165°) and sauce is desired consistency. I typically cook mine for about 10-15 minutes to get the chicken cooked all the way through, but your time may vary depending on how large your chicken pieces are. The longer the sauce boils, the thicker it will get. Serve this chicken over rice or with your favorite side dish and enjoy!
Time-Saving Hack for Onions
I am not a huge fan of chopping onions, but I use them quite often so I have found a great way to cheat the process. I always keep diced onions in my freezer to use whenever I need them. Not sure why it took me so many years to discover them in the frozen section of the grocery store, but now I always have at least a bag or two in the freezer. Makes it so easy to throw in as few or as many as you would like, no chopping involved!
HOW LONG IS CHICKEN WITH COCA COLA GOOD FOR?
This main dish is good for 3-5 days, if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This dish would taste great as left overs and repurposed into a chicken salad I bet! Reheat it or eat it cold, either way it is going to taste amazing.
CAN I FREEZE LEFT OVER COCA COLA CHICKEN?
You sure can. This would be a great meal to freeze any leftovers for another dinner or lunch option. When you are ready to enjoy it again, just defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Kitchen tool to help know when chicken is done cooking
To know when your chicken reaches the right temperature, your best tool is going to be a meat thermometer. My all-time favorite meat thermometer is the Thermapen. It’s super fast and incredibly durable. Another great meat thermometer is the ThermoPop which is a more basic version that works just as well!
Love chicken? Here are some of our favorite chicken recipes!
- Chicken Chili Pasta Bake
- Mexican Chicken Alfredo Pasta
- Ranch Chicken Cheese Dip
- Cheesy Black Bean Avocado Dip
- Chicken Avocado Quesadillas
- Honey Chicken Kabobs
- Fajita Chicken Kabobs
- Fiesta Ranch Chicken Pasta Salad
- Mexican Chicken Lasagna
- Orange Chicken recipe
- Baked Chicken Taquitos
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Mexican Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Easy Salsa Chicken
Coca-Cola Chicken is made with just simple 5 ingredients and the results are a delicious dinner that the whole family will enjoy. This easy chicken breast recipe with a few ingredients is loaded with amazing flavor and comes together in about 20 minutes!
Leave a Reply