Chicken avocado quesadillas are a healthier lunch or snack that’s perfect for any occasion (especially game days!) Made with flour tortillas, cheese, cooked chicken, and fresh avocado, every bite is refreshing and tasty.
We love game day snacks around here and these quesadillas have been a big part of our football traditions for years. Food can be just as important as the game because you want something simple enough to prep but good enough that you can eat it with just one hand if needed.
What are chicken avocado quesadillas?
They’re an incredible recipe that I whipped up one year and instantly knew was a hit. These aren’t your average quesadillas either. They’re packed with gooey cheese, big chunks of fresh avocado, and chicken that’s been mixed with salsa, lime, and cilantro. A perfect appetizer for sure, but be warned you may need to make more as these seem to disappear as quickly as they are made.
Chicken Avocado Quesadillas Ingredients
-Tortillas: You will need 4 soft taco size flour tortillas.
-Cheese: 2 cups of Monterey Jack cheese will give us a great flavor and gooey result.
-Chicken: Use 1 ½ cups of diced cooked chicken. Note that this is a great way to use up leftovers or rotisserie chickens you may already have on hand.
-Avocado: With one diced avocado we get great chunks of flavor in every bite.
-Salsa: Use 2 tablespoons of green salsa to help flavor the chicken and keep it tasting moist.
-Lime juice: Using just a dash of lime juice will help to make the flavors POP and really taste fresh and incredible.
-Salt and pepper: You can add these to your own taste preferences or omit them entirely.
-Toppings: Top your cooked quesadillas with some chopped cilantro, sour cream, or more salsa.
How to make chicken avocado quesadillas
Cook each tortilla on a 400 degree F skillet for 30 seconds on each side then set them aside.
In a bowl, combine the chicken with the salsa and lime juice. Stir to combine. Add in several leaves of cilantro if desired and shake in a little salt and pepper.
Reduce your skillet temp to 250 degrees F.
Place the tortillas on top of the skillet and top with ½ cup of cheese and about ¾ cups of the chicken mixture. Add ½ a diced avocado and then another ½ cup of cheese and another tortilla.
Gently press down on the quesadilla and cook for about 3 minutes before flipping over and cooking on the other side for an additional 2 minutes. Cook until the cheese has melted.
Remove from heat for 1-2 minutes and slice into triangles with a pizza cutter and serve. Serve with sour cream, salsa, and additional cilantro.
CHICKEN AVOCADO QUESADILLAS
- 4 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 ½ cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 avocado sliced in half, then diced
- 2 TBSP green salsa
- dash of lime juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- cilantro sour cream and salsa, to top/dip
- Cook each tortilla on a 400 degree F skillet for 30 seconds on each side. Set aside.
- Combine diced chicken with salsa and lime juice, stir to combine. Add several leaves of cilantro, if desired. (I adore cilantro!) Shake in a little salt and pepper as well.
- Reduce skillet heat to about 250 degrees F. Place tortilla on the skillet, then 1/2 cup cheese and about 3/4 cup chicken mixture. Top with 1/2 an avocado, then another 1/2 cup cheese and another tortilla. Gently press down to meld quesadilla. Cook for about 3 minutes, then flip over and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 1-2 minutes. Slice into triangles with a pizza cutter and serve with sour cream, salsa and additional cilantro. Makes 2 quesadillas.
Can I make Chicken quesadillas with avocado in advance?
You can do some of the prep work in advance like mixing the chicken meat with salsa or shredding the cheese if you bought it by the block, but I do not recommend cooking the quesadillas until ready to serve simply because they taste best when fresh. If you have a way of keeping them warm and crisp, that may be different but more than likely if you let these quesadillas cool or become reheated they will become soft or soggy.
Will other meats work well for this recipe?
I think this recipe could work well with leftover shredded turkey, taco meat, or even cooked ground turkey. Try them out and let me know how it goes!
Check out these other incredible appetizer recipes!
- CHICKEN PARMESAN APPETIZER
- SANDWICH APPETIZER SKEWERS
- EASY LIL SMOKIES & MEATBALL APPETIZER
- EASY APPETIZER! VEGGIE CUPS W/ SPINACH DIP
- OVEN BAKED CHICKEN WINGS
- CREAM CHEESE FRUIT DIP
- CROCKPOT SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS
- CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS
- BACON WRAPPED CHICKEN TENDERS
- RANCH CHICKEN BACON KABOBS
- EASY RANCH SAUSAGE ROLLS
- HAM PICKLE ROLL UPS
- ASPARAGUS CRESCENT ROLLS
- BACON CHEDDAR DEVILED EGGS
- CHICKEN CLUB ROLL-UPS
Gameday Quesadillas are a perfect appetizer for full flavor and minimal effort. You’re going to love this simple appetizers recipe!