Blackberry Upside down Cake is a delightfully simple blackberry dessert made with just 4 ingredients! This berry cake with cake mix is made easy in minutes & has incredible flavor.
This easy and beautiful blackberry cake is so perfect for spring and summer months, this berry is in season during the summer months so take advantage! Making this blackberry upside-down cake recipe is great for summer parties or picnics, take it to your next gathering and watch how quickly it disappears!
What is Blackberry Upside down Cake?
This cake style is so old it dates back to middle ages, but it became popular in the mid-1950’s. The classic pineapple upside-down cake was born, the Dole company hosted a contest for the best dish using pineapple. But the very first inverted cake wasn’t made with pineapples, it was made with seasonal fruits like apples and cherries.
We have taken the upside-down cake concept, simplified it and made it with black berries, which we feel like turned out exceptionally well. We happened upon some blackberry bushes while hiking a while back and ended up with an abundance of berries. The idea of this cake was born from that hike, a way to use all the berries and enjoy them! Give this cake a try today and see just how delicious it is.
Why we think you will love this Blackberry Cake!
If you aren’t already convinced to make this cake, here are a few reasons why we think you should.
4 ingredients. There are only 4 ingredients in this easy cake recipe, what is not to love about this? The fewer the ingredients, the fewer dishes to clean up. Leaving more time to sitting down to enjoy a piece of this delicious cake!
So many berries. My favorite part of this cake is the blackberries, I love this sweet and tart fruit. They are ripe in the warm summer months and they are just so perfect in this cake. The moist fluffy cake pairs wonderfully with the juicy pungent blackberries.
Minimal effort. I really love this simple cake recipe because it requires very little effort to create a beautiful and tasty dessert. The prep work, cake batter and assembly are all done in under an hour. I also happen to love frosting free cakes, the blackberries make the perfect topping!
Low Calorie! Each slice is just 172 calories, which make it a lovely guilt-free indulgence.
Blackberry Upside-down Cake Ingredients
Cake mix: You will need 1 box of White cake mix for the base of this amazing cake recipe. I personally prefer the Pillsbury brand, but also Betty Crocker is tasty too.
Soda: For amazing flavor and extra moisture, add one 12-ounce can of Sprite or 7 Up soda to this cake batter.
Sugar: Using 1/4 cup sugar will help give this cake just the right amount of sweetness.
Blackberries: Adding 2 cups blackberries will give this cake incredible flavor and create a beautiful dessert as well.
Easy step by step on how to make Blackberry Upside-down Cake
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a 9″ cake pan or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Wash the blackberries well, make sure all stems are removed.
Cake batter & assemble
Begin by spreading the washed blackberries on the bottom of the prepared cake pan.
Next, sprinkle the sugar on top of the blackberries and stir to combine.
Then, pour the box of dry cake mix on top of the sugared blackberries and spread evenly around the pan.
After that, add in the can of sprite/7-up on top of the cake mix. Be sure to cover the whole cake while pouring, the sprite will foam up as it mixes with the cake mix.
Gently mix the cake mix and sprite just a little, be careful not to disturb the blackberries too much. You want those to stay on the bottom of the cake pan.
Bake & Serve
Place the cake pan in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
Once baked, pull out of the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
Then tip the cake pan upside-down on to a serving platter and allow to cool completely.
Serve topped with ice cream or whipped cream and enjoy!
Blackberry Upside-down Cake
- 15.25 oz White cake mix
- 12 oz lemon lime soda
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 2 cups Blackberries washed & patted dry
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9" cake pan or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Begin by spreading the washed blackberries on the bottom of the prepared cake pan.
- Next, sprinkle the sugar on top of the blackberries and stir gently to combine.
- Then, pour the box of dry cake mix on top of the sugared blackberries and spread evenly around the pan.
- After that, add in the can of soda on top of the cake mix. Be sure to cover the whole cake while pouring, the soda will foam up as it mixes with the cake mix.
- Gently mix the cake mix and soda just a little, be careful not to disturb the blackberries too much. You want those to stay on the bottom of the cake pan.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. Once baked, pull out of the oven and let cool for 10 minutes in a cooling rack.
- Overturn the cake pan upside-down on to a serving platter. Lift the pan up and allow to cool completely. After it cools, dust with powdered sugar & serve with ice cream. Enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How long is blackberry upside-down cake good for?
You can enjoy this cake for 2-3 days. The berries in this cake will start to make the cake soggy, you will want to eat this cake in the first couple days after making it. Which will not be hard!
How do you store upside-down cake?
This cake should be stored in an airtight container and in the refrigerator. You want the berries to save for as long as possible, keeping them in a cool place will help.
Can I use froze blackberries for this cake instead of fresh berries?
Absolutely! Fresh blackberries are great, but so are frozen ones. You should let the frozen berries defrost for 20-30 minutes before starting the cake as you do want some of the liquid to disappear before being baked in the cake. Too much moisture will affect the outcome of the cake.
Love berries? Here are some more berry recipes to try!
- Strawberry Jello Pretzel Salad recipe
- Strawberry Red Velvet Trifle
- Raspberry Cream Cake
- Easy Strawberry Crisp recipe
- Blackberry Peach Cobbler
- Strawberry Shortcake Cake recipe
- Strawberry Ice Cream Pie
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake
- Glazed Strawberry Fruit Pizza
- Raspberry Oatmeal Bars
- Frosted Strawberry Cookies
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bites
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Quick Strawberry Ice Cream recipe
- Strawberry Crumb Bars
Blackberry Upside-down Cake is a sensational dessert and so easy to make too! This berry upside-down cake with cake mix can be made with only 4 ingredients and the results are amazing!