Strawberry Buttercream Frosting made with fresh strawberries with a perfect, bright strawberry flavor. This is the BEST strawberry frosting recipe ever. No coloring & goes wonderfully on cookies, cakes and cupcakes.
It took me a while to get this Strawberry Buttercream Frosting just right. I didn’t want to use strawberry extract because to me it tastes very artificial. I also didn’t want to use dehydrated strawberries because they’re expensive and hard to find! The key is the strawberry reduction. It’s a SUPER SIMPLE process but it’s best done a day ahead so that the mixture has time to fully chill. I use fresh strawberries but you can use frozen strawberries as well!
Can you put strawberries in frosting?
You can use fresh strawberries in frosting, but you cannot just blend them and add them to a frosting recipe. The strawberries have too high water content and the mixture will be a soupy mess that never sets. This is why we first take the steps to make a strawberry reduction. This reduction process removes half the water content of strawberries, which means you can then make buttercream frosting with it.
Ingredients needed to make Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
How to make the Pureed Strawberry Reduction
The key to getting the bright, fresh strawberry flavor in these cookies is to first make a strawberry puree, then reduce it. This process boils out a lot of the water in the strawberries and leaves us with an intense strawberry puree that we can then use in strawberry frosting. This process takes about 30 minutes, then you’ll need to fully chill the reduction, so it works well if you do this the day before.
To make the pureed strawberry reduction, all you need to do is first wash, core and slice 30-35 strawberries.
Puree the strawberry pieces using an immersion blender or food processor. Make sure there are no chunks remaining.
Low boil to remove water
Pour strawberry puree in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and boil for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Mixture will reduce by half. Before reducing my puree measured just over 2 cups, then after reducing I had 1 cup.
Fully cool strawberry puree
Cool puree in the fridge or freezer and proceed with Strawberry frosting recipe.
How to make Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
Start by whisking the butter for 30 seconds with a mixer. Add in the strawberry reduction (see how to make the reduction below) and 2 cups of powdered sugar. Mix again.
Add the vanilla and remaining powdered sugar, a cup at a time, until you reach desired consistency.
Store frosting in an airtight container in the fridge.
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1.5 lbs strawberries
Make Strawberry Reduction
- Wash, core and slice 1.5 lbs of strawberries, about 30-35. Puree the strawberry pieces using an immersion blender or food processor. Pour strawberry puree in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and boil for 30 minutes, stirring often. Mixture will reduce by half. Chill puree in fridge or freezer until very cold.
Make Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- Whisk butter for 30 seconds with a mixer. Add in 1 cup strawberry reduction and 2 cups powdered sugar.
- Add in vanilla and remaining powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until you’ve reached your desired consistency.
- Use frosting for cakes, cookies, etc. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
Can I freeze buttercream frosting?
You can freeze it. That’s right: don’t toss that buttercream! It will remain good in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Or you can put it in an airtight container and freeze it up to 3 months. When ready to use again, take out of the freezer and place in the refrigerator overnight to thaw.
Remember, before you frost the cake, let the buttercream come to room temperature and give it a good stir before piling it on. Yum!
Enjoy Strawberry recipes? Here are more to try:
- Easy Strawberry Trifle recipe
- Easy Strawberry Crisp recipe
- Strawberry Jello Pretzel Salad recipe
- Strawberry Shortcake Cake recipe
- Easy No-Pectin Strawberry Jam
- Mini Glazed Strawberry Cupcakes
- Strawberry Ice Cream Pie
- Glazed Strawberry Fruit Pizza
- Frosted Strawberry Cookies
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bites
- Easy Strawberry Butter
- Quick Strawberry Ice Cream recipe
- Strawberry Crumb Bars
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting made with fresh strawberries with a perfect, bright strawberry flavor. This is the BEST strawberry frosting recipe ever. No coloring & goes wonderfully on cookies, cakes, cupcakes, etc.