Walking Taco Casserole made with ground beef, salsa & taco seasoning topped with cheese, Fritos chips, lettuce tomato and guac! Scoop it, serve it & enjoy this fun taco casserole!
This fun recipe is a twist on the classic walking taco, which is typically made with a bag of chips filled with taco ingredients. In this taco casserole version, all the ingredients are layered in a baking dish and baked to perfection.
This taco bake recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or for feeding a crowd at a party. It is easy to customize by adding your favorite toppings such as sour cream, guacamole, or jalapenos. Frito casserole is sure to become a new favorite in your dinner rotation.
What is a Walking Taco Casserole
A Walking Taco Casserole is a popular Mexican-American dish that is perfect for any casual gathering or party. It is a delicious, easy-to-make dish that combines all the flavors of a classic taco in one dish. This casserole starts with a base of ground beef and cheese, topped with Frito chips and other toppings of your choice.
Walking Taco Casserole is a fun and unique twist on traditional tacos that is perfect for feeding a crowd. It is a versatile dish that can be customized to suit any taste or dietary preference. For example, you can use ground turkey or chicken instead of beef, or add extra vegetables for a healthier twist. Walking Taco is a crowd-pleaser that is sure to be a hit at your next party or gathering.
Why You’ll Love This Taco Casserole Recipe
- Simple Ingredients: This recipe uses simple and easy-to-find ingredients, making it a great option for those who don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen or who are on a budget. You will need ground beef, taco seasoning, salsa, cheese, and of course, Fritos. A few other toppings added a you have yourself an incredible dish!
- Easy to Make: This recipe is incredibly easy to make and comes together in just 40 minutes. Simply brown the ground beef, add in the taco seasoning, and then layer everything in a casserole dish with the Fritos and cheese. After baking is complete, add the toppings of your choice to finish it off.
- Crowd-Pleasing: Walking Taco Casserole is sure to be a hit with both kids and adults. It’s a fun twist on traditional tacos and is perfect for game day, potlucks, or any other gathering where you want to serve something delicious and easy to make.
Ingredients for Walking Taco Casserole
Onion: Use ½ cup of chopped onion to flavor the meat mixture well.
Beef: You need 1 lb. of ground beef for the base of this delicious dish.
Water: Adding in ½ cup of water will help combine the seasoning in the meat mixture.
Taco seasoning: For a zesty and tasty taste, use a 1-oz package of Taco seasoning.
Salsa: Using 1 cup salsa gives the meat more incredible flavor in a simple way.
Cheese: No taco is complete without cheese, you will need 2 cups of shredded Colby Jack cheese to top this casserole with.
Chips: A nice crunchy addition in this dish is by adding in 9 oz. of Fritos Original chips.
Lettuce: You need 1 cup of shredded lettuce to make this salad complete.
Onion: Adding more chopped onions (about ¼ cup of red chopped onions) will give this dish more amazing taste.
Tomato: Use ½ cup of diced tomatoes to add a nice blast of fresh flavor.
Sour cream: For a creamy addition, add ¼ cup of sour cream.
Salsa: Another ¼ cup of salsa is a perfect topping for this easy taco casserole.
Guacamole: You will want to add ¼ cup of guacamole for a nice rich and buttery taste.
How to make Taco Casserole
To start, get your oven preheated to 375° F.
Next, chop the onions needed for the meat mixture and the topping. Also dice the tomatoes and shred the lettuce to have these ingredients ready for a future step.
In an oven-proof skillet, over medium heat, cook ½ cup of the onion for 1 or 2 minutes until they are warm. You can add a drop of oil if you want to soften the onions a bit.
Then add in the ground beef, water, and taco seasoning. Using a heat-proof spoon, break the ground beef into small pieces and cook on medium heat until the meat is browned. Stir continuously so the seasoning is well incorporated throughout the meat. This will take about 10 minutes.
After that, add 1 cup salsa and stir until incorporated.
Continue to remove the meat from the heat and sprinkle the cheese evenly on top.
Proceed to place the pan of meat in the preheated oven for 5 minutes.
Take the pan out of the oven and then place the Fritos on top of the cheese, in a single layer. NOTE: You will have some Fritos left, use them on the side when serving.
Next, sprinkle on your favorite toppings, in this case, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, sour cream, salsa, and guacamole.
Serve with more Frito chips or tortilla chips and enjoy!
Possible Variations for Walking Taco Casserole
There are many ways to customize the Walking Taco Casserole to suit different tastes and dietary needs. Here are a few possible variations:
- Vegetarian Version: For vegetarians, the ground beef can be replaced with a meat substitute such as crumbled tofu or textured vegetable protein. Alternatively, the beef can be omitted altogether and replaced with beans or vegetables.
- Spicier Version: For those who like their food with a bit more heat, add some diced jalapenos or a pinch of cayenne pepper to the beef mixture. Alternatively, use a spicier variety of taco seasoning.
- Healthier Version: To make the casserole healthier, use lean ground beef or turkey instead of regular ground beef. You can also use reduced-fat cheese and sour cream, and add extra vegetables such as diced bell peppers, zucchini, or spinach.
By making these simple modifications, anyone can enjoy a delicious and personalized version of the Walking Taco Casserole.
Walking Taco Casserole
- ½ cup red or sweet onion chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup water
- 1 oz taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 9 oz. Fritos Original chips
- 1 cup lettuce shredded
- ¼ cup red onions chopped
- ½ cup tomatoes diced
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup salsa
- ¼ cup guacamole
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Chop the onions needed for the meat mixture and the topping. Also dice the tomatoes and shred the lettuce.
- Cook meat: In an oven-proof skillet over medium heat cook the onion for 1 or 2 minutes until they are warm. You can add a drop of oil if you want to soften the onions a bit.
- Add the ground beef, water, and taco seasoning. Using a heat-proof spoon, break the ground beef into small pieces and cook on medium heat until the meat is browned. Stir continuously so the seasoning is well incorporated throughout the meat. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup salsa and stir until incorporated.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle the cheese evenly on top of the meat.
- Place in the preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Assemble: Take the pan out of the oven. Place the Fritos on top of the cheese, a single layer. NOTE: You will have some Fritos left, use them on the side when serving.
- Sprinkle your favorite toppings, in this case, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, sour cream, salsa, and guacamole. Serve and Enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Serving Suggestions for Walking Taco Casserole
The Walking Taco Casserole recipe serves 4-6 people depending on the size of the serving. The typical serving size is about 1 cup of the casserole. However, the serving size can vary depending on the appetite of the guests and other dishes being served.
The Walking Taco Casserole is a complete meal on its own, but it can be paired with other dishes to create a more elaborate menu. Here are a few pairing suggestions:
- Serve with a side salad: A simple green salad with a tangy vinaigrette or a creamy dressing can be a refreshing accompaniment to the hearty casserole.
- Add some veggies: Roasted or grilled vegetables, such as zucchini, bell peppers, or corn, can add some color and texture to the meal.
- Serve with chips and salsa: Since the Walking Taco Casserole has all the flavors of a classic taco, serving it with chips and salsa can be a fun and tasty addition.
How to Store Frito Casserole?
Walking taco casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It is not recommended to freeze the casserole as the texture of the tortilla chips may become soggy upon thawing.
What are some common side dishes for Walking Taco?
Some common side dishes for walking taco include Spanish rice, refried beans, guacamole, salsa, and sour cream. A simple green salad or a side of corn on the cob can also complement the flavors of the walking taco casserole.
What is the difference between a taco and a walking taco?
A traditional taco is made with a hard or soft tortilla shell that is filled with seasoned meat, cheese, lettuce, and other toppings. A walking taco, on the other hand, is made with a bag of tortilla chips that are topped with taco ingredients such as seasoned meat, cheese, lettuce, and salsa. The walking taco is a portable and convenient option for those on the go.
Try more tasty Mexican inspired dish recipes here:
- Easy Slow Cooker Sweet Pork
- Mexican Chicken Alfredo Bake
- Mexican Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Cheesy Salsa Dip
- Easy Blender Salsa
- Easy Salsa Chicken
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Easy Taco Calzones
- Creamy Salsa Verde
- Cheesy Green Chile Bean Dip
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Dip
- Mexican Chicken Lasagna
Walking Taco Casserole is a delicious, easy-to-make dish that combines all the flavors of a classic taco in one dish. This taco casserole is sure to become a new favorite in your recipe collection!