Skinny Chocolate Ice Cube Shake made easy with cocoa powder, a banana, milk and ice cubes! Easy, slushy delightfully chocolate shake that’s low calorie & delicious!
Making this chocolate shake recipe is just as easy as you would imagine, with only a handful of ingredients it comes together quickly. This ice cube chocolate shake is especially delicious on a hot summer day, the perfect afternoon snack to cool you down and satisfy a sweet craving!
What is an Ice Cube Shake?
An ice cube shake is different from your regular milkshakes because instead of using ice cream or frozen yogurt, we use ice cubes for the base. This means that we get that thick cold texture we want but with a fraction of the added sugars, fats, and calories. Perfect for when you want a little treat that will not hurt your health goals.
This skinny shake recipe is very versatile so feel free to play around with it and see what you like best. You might consider adding some frozen blueberries or blackberries, that would be a delicious alternate fruit option. Also, when making shakes, remember the colder the ingredients are when you blend them, the thicker the shake will be. This is pretty important for “skinny” shakes since they don’t contain ice cream. So chilling the milk and freezing the banana will really make a difference.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS FROZEN CHOCOLATE DRINK
- Perfect for the hot season. Frozen drinks are perfect for warm weather, they cool you down and quench a craving. This cold chocolate shake is a great treat on a hot summer or spring day!
- So easy to make. This ice cube chocolate shake comes together fast thanks to your blender. Just mix everything together until blended and serve!
- Frozen. Chocolate. What’s not to love about this easy frozen drink recipe?! Seriously, give it a try and see for yourself.
Skinny Chocolate Shake ingredients
Milk: You will need 1 cup of almond milk, but any milk variety will work, so use whatever you have on hand. To keep with the “skinny shake” theme, consider suing a low fat milk option.
Cocoa powder: Use 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to give it the delicious chocolate flavor we are aiming for.
Banana: You want to use 1 banana to help thicken this shake. If you think of it ahead of time, using a frozen bananas work best for more great texture in this shake.
Vanilla extract: Add in ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract, or almond extract, to add a wonderful depth of flavor.
Ice cubes: For the base of this recipe use about 20-25 ice cubes. This is how the shake is a healthier version, in lieu of ice cream the ice cubes make this a perfectly chilled shake but with less sugar and calories!
How to make Skinny Chocolate Ice Cube Shake
Start by peeling a banana and cut it into a few small pieces. Place into a Ziploc bag and put in the freezer until ready to use. If you are in a hurry, you can skip this step and the shake will still taste amazing.
In a blender, add the ice cubes, milk, cocoa powder, frozen banana chunks and vanilla extract. Blend and pulse until smooth and no large chunks remain.
Proceed to divide the chocolate shake mixture into two drinking glasses.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
If you really want the full “chocolate shake” experience top it off with a little whipped cream or cool whip, a drizzle of chocolate sauce, and a cherry on top. Yum!
Skinny Chocolate Ice Cube Shake
- 1 cup Almond Milk chilled-those Silk Almond Milk singles are perfect!
- 2 TBSP cocoa powder
- 1 banana frozen is best
- ½ tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 20-25 ice cubes
- Prep: If you remember, peel a banana and break it into several segments, put it in a small ziplock bag and freeze it until you're ready to make this shake. If not… don't worry!
- Assemble: In a blender, add the ice cubes, milk, cocoa powder, frozen banana and vanilla extract. Blend and pulse until smooth and no large chunks remain.
- Then, divide the shake mixture into two drinking glasses. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- If you really want the full "chocolate shake" experience top it off with a little whipped cream or cool whip, a drizzle of chocolate sauce, and a cherry on top. Yum!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
What do ice cubes do to shakes?
Ice, when crushed and added to a shake, will help to make it more frozen in consistency so that it is ice cold. Not only that but it gives you a smooth and frothy texture and makes for a really thick drink.
How do you thicken chocolate shakes?
Adding a frozen banana to a shake will help to thicken it up quite nicely. If you find that your shake isn’t as thick as you want it to be, add in another frozen banana (or half of one). You could even try adding in a little more ice if desired.
IS THIS CHOCOLATE SHAKE GLUTEN FREE?
There is nothing inside of this frozen drink recipe that should have gluten as an ingredient so it should be deemed gluten free. That being said, double check the labels of the ingredients that you are using so that you can watch out for gluten cross contamination.
Can I freeze the second serving of this shake and enjoy later?
You definitely can! Storing in an airtight container is always recommended to retain a fresh taste. When you are ready to enjoy the second serving of this shake, remove from the freezer about 30-60 minutes before you are ready for it. Keep a close eye on it as it defrosts, depending on the temperature where is is placed will determine the time is takes to defrost enough to drink.
Still Thirsty? Check out these other great frozen drink recipes!
- BLUEBERRY SMOOTHIE BOWLS
- TRIPLE BERRY “GREEN” SMOOTHIES
- SUNRISE SMOOTHIE
- CHOCOLATE CHERRY GREEN SMOOTHIES
- CREAMY APPLE SMOOTHIES
- FRUIT SMOOTHIE POPSICLES
- SIMPLE & EASY TROPICAL SMOOTHIE
- CARAMEL APPLE SMOOTHIES
- LEMON RASPBERRY SMOOTHIES
- MELON LIME SMOOTHIE
Skinny Chocolate Ice Cube Shake a simple recipe to make and extra amazing due to its low calorie count! This chocolate shake is loaded with delightful flavor and only has 5 ingredients!