Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup is a hearty dinner full of flavor! This creamy hamburger soup recipe is made with ground beef, bacon, potatoes & a blend of savory seasonings everyone loves!
Make this slow cooker stew beef recipe for a crowd-pleasing hearty dish full of ground beef, potatoes, and bacon in a thick cheesy soup. Top this cheeseburger soup with more bacon, cheese and scallions and you have a soup perfect for those chilly nights.
What is Cheeseburger Soup?
Cheeseburger soup is a flavorful dish made with ground beef, potatoes, vegetables, and cheese. It is a popular comfort food in the United States, especially during the colder months. The soup is typically made in a crockpot or slow cooker, which allows the flavors to meld together over several hours of cooking time. The result is a creamy, cheesy soup with tender chunks of beef and potatoes.
Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup is a delicious and easy-to-make meal that is perfect for busy families. It’s a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables and protein, and it’s sure to be a hit with everyone in your family.
Potential Variations of Cheeseburger Stew
Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup is a versatile recipe that can be customized to suit different tastes and preferences. Here are some potential variations to consider:
- Meat options: While ground beef is the classic choice for this soup, you can also use ground turkey, chicken, or pork. You can even mix and match different meats for a unique flavor profile.
- Cheese choices: The recipe calls for cheddar cheese, but you can experiment with other types of cheese, such as pepper jack, gouda, or blue cheese. You can also use a combination of cheeses for a more complex flavor.
- Vegetable additions: The recipe includes onions, carrots and garlic, but you can add other vegetables to the mix, such as bell peppers and mushrooms. You can also adjust the amount of vegetables to your liking.
- Spice level: If you like your soup spicy, you can add some diced jalapenos or red pepper flakes. Alternatively, if you prefer a milder flavor, you can leave out the spicy ingredients altogether.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup
Beef: You will need 1 pound of lean ground beef, browned and drained, for protein in every delicious bite.
Onion: Add in 1 small onion, chopped, for a great flavor profile in this dish.
Carrots: Use 2 carrots, shredded, for a pop of color and great nutritional value as well.
Potatoes: Make this soup nice and hearty by using 4 russet potatoes, peel and chopped.
Bacon: For a wonderful savory taste, add in 12 slices of cooked bacon, divided.
Steak seasoning: If you have it on hand, use 1 teaspoon of steak seasoning to flavor this soup nicely.
Salt: Adding in ¾ teaspoon of salt helps create a lovely and balanced taste to this soup.
Pepper: Use ¼ teaspoon of pepper for a mild spice in this dish.
Onion powder: You will need ½ teaspoon of onion powder for even more sweet and tangy flavor.
Garlic: For a spicy and nutty taste, add in 2 cloves of minced garlic.
Beef broth: Create the perfect soup texture by using 3 cups of beef broth to this recipe.
Velveeta: It is not a cheeseburger without adding in 16 ounces of Velveeta cheese, cubed.
Milk: Help make the soup nice and creamy by using 1 cup of milk.
Cheese: You need 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese for topping each single serving of soup, divided among each bowl.
Scallions: If desired, add some scallions to each bowl for garnish.
How to make Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup
Before you start assembling the soup, brown the ground beef in a large skillet on the stove. You don’t have to fully cook it, just brown it a little to add a nice depth of flavor to the meat.
Also, chop the onion, carrots, potatoes into bite size chunks.
In addition, the bacon needs to be cooked before adding to the slow cooker. Give this recipe for the easiest way to cook bacon a try.
Once the meat and veggies have been prepped, transfer the browned and drained ground beef into the slow cooker.
Then add your chopped potatoes, carrots, all but 2 TBSP of bacon, chopped onion, garlic, all the seasonings, and the beef broth.
Stir everything to combine and proceed to cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours or until potatoes are tender.
Then, about 30 minutes before serving, add in the cubed Velveeta cheese and milk. Stir to combine well.
Let cook for another 30 minutes to let the cheese fully melt, stir two times during this 30-minute period.
Top each individual serving bowl of soup with the remaining bacon, shredded cheese and scallions. Serve hot and enjoy!
Serving Suggestions for Crockpot Cheeseburger Stew
- Garlic bread: Warm, crusty bread slathered with garlic butter is the perfect accompaniment to this hearty soup.
- Salad: A light and refreshing salad can help cut through the richness of the soup. Consider serving a simple green salad with a tangy vinaigrette or a classic Caesar salad.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasting vegetables brings out their natural sweetness and adds a satisfying crunch to the meal. Try roasted Brussels sprouts, carrots, or sweet potatoes.
- Shredded cheese: Sprinkle some shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese on top of the soup for added creaminess and flavor.
- Crumbled bacon: A sprinkle of crumbled bacon adds a smoky, salty crunch to the soup.
- Chopped green onions: The fresh, sharp flavor of green onions pairs well with the rich flavors of the soup. Sprinkle some chopped green onions on top of the soup for a pop of color and flavor.
Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 lb lean ground beef browned and drained
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 carrots shredded
- 4 russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 12 slices bacon cooked & chopped
- 1 tsp steak seasoning
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups beef broth
- 16 oz velveeta cubed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- Scallions for garnish
- Prep: Brown the ground beef in a large skillet on the stove.
- Chop the onion, carrots, potatoes into bite size chunks. The bacon needs to be cooked before adding to the slow cooker. Give this recipe for the easiest way to cook bacon a try.
- Assemble: Transfer the browned and drained ground beef into the slow cooker. Add the chopped potatoes, carrots, all but 2 TBSP of bacon, chopped onion, garlic, all the seasonings, and the beef broth.
- Cook: Stir everything to combine and proceed to cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Add cheese: About 30 minutes before serving, add in the cubed Velveeta cheese and milk. Stir to combine well. Let cook for another 30 minutes to let the cheese fully melt, stir two times during this 30-minute period.
- Serve: Top each individual serving bowl of soup with the remaining bacon, shredded cheese and scallions. Serve hot and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Can I make crockpot cheeseburger soup without potatoes?
Yes, you can make crockpot cheeseburger soup without potatoes. Simply omit the potatoes from the recipe and adjust the amount of liquid as needed. Keep in mind that the potatoes add a creamy texture to the soup, so you may want to add some heavy cream or cream cheese to compensate for the missing potatoes.
Is crockpot cheeseburger soup keto-friendly?
The traditional recipe for crockpot cheeseburger soup is not keto-friendly due to the high amount of carbs from the potatoes. However, you can modify the recipe to make it keto-friendly by using cauliflower instead of potatoes. Additionally, you can use heavy cream instead of milk to reduce the carb count.
How do I make extra creamy slow cooker cheeseburger soup?
To make extra creamy slow cooker cheeseburger soup, you can add some heavy cream or cream cheese to the recipe. Simply stir in the cream or cream cheese during the last 30 minutes of cooking to avoid curdling. You can also blend some of the soup in a blender or use an immersion blender to create a smoother and creamier texture.
How do I store Cheeseburger Soup?
When it comes to storing Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup, it is important to follow some basic guidelines to ensure that it stays fresh and safe to eat. Here are some tips on how to store this delicious soup:
- Allow the soup to cool down before storing it. Do not put hot soup directly into the refrigerator or freezer, as this can raise the temperature inside and cause other foods to spoil.
- Store the soup in an airtight container to prevent air from getting in and causing the soup to spoil. You can use a plastic or glass container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Label the container with the date you made the soup, so you can keep track of how long it has been in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Store the soup in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. If you are not planning to eat it within this time frame, you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
- When you are ready to eat the soup, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. You can then reheat it on the stove or in the microwave until it is heated through.
Try more amazing soup & stew recipes here:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Alfredo Soup
- Crockpot Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Wild Rice Soup
- Easy Vegetable Chowder
- Tomato Basil Soup
- Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
- French Onion Tomato Soup
- Lemon Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Zucchini Sausage Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- 20 Minute Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Slow Cooker Pizza Soup
- 20 Minute Chicken Stew
Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup a full, hearty and delicious meal that the whole family will love! Make this hamburger stew recipe with ground beef, bacon, potatoes & a blend of savory seasonings.