20-Minute Loaded Baked Potato Soup is a comforting dinner that is easy to make and ready to serve fast! Potato soup made with simple ingredients you likely have on hand!
You can’t go wrong with anything baked potato, packed with all your favorite toppings, this soup is sure to hit the spot! This loaded potato soup recipe has under 10 ingredients, some of which you probably have on hand, making this an easy and comforting meal.
Simple Potato Soup
I took another popular vegetable chowder soup recipe of mine and adapted it to use potatoes. The results were so delicious, I just had to share! I love, love, love how quickly this recipe comes together. Even better, it tastes like it’s been simmering on the stove for hours. Add toppings as you’d like- cheddar cheese, sour cream, and bacon with a few chives is how I enjoy it.
Why You’ll Love This 20-Minute Soup Recipe
- It uses simple ingredients. We just need some of the basics like seasonings, broth, and potatoes for the base, but adding in bacon and cheese really elevates this dish.
- Takes under a half hour to make! Thanks to a few shortcuts like using a microwave and powdered onion instead of fresh, we reduce the hands-on time needed to prep this recipe.
- It’s delicious! All of your favorite baked potato flavors in one place. This soup is great with a slice of crusty bread and butter and is ideal on those cold weather nights.
Potato Soup Ingredients
Potatoes– You will need 3 medium-sized russet potatoes for the soup. This will give it a great texture and consistency throughout.
Broth– Use 2 cups (roughly a can) of chicken broth for the base of the soup.
Milk– Adding 2 cups of milk to the soup broth will give it a rich and creamy consistency.
Potato flakes- You will need 1 cup of mashed potato flakes. I like to use potato flakes in this recipe for flavor and as a thickening agent.
Onion powder- Use 2 teaspoons of onion powder for added flavor. I use onion powder as it’s faster to use than chopping up an onion.
Butter– You will need 2 tablespoons of butter for a little more richness and amazing flavor.
Salt and pepper- This will be added to taste, so add in more or less depending on your preferences.
Bacon– Use 4 slices of cooked crispy bacon that has been crumbled into smaller pieces, or just use 2 tablespoons of bacon bits.
Cheese– You’ll want ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese, plus a little more for topping your soup with later.
How to Make 20 Minute Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Start by washing and piercing the potatoes with a fork. Then, place them onto a microwave safe plate and microwave them for 8-10 minutes. Check on the firmness after 8 minutes, they should be pretty soft. If they aren’t, place them back in for another 2 minutes.
Also, get the bacon cooking. Here is a simple recipe for the easiest way to cook bacon, give it a try and you will never go back to cooking bacon on the stove again.
While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat.
Next, add in the onion powder, a few shakes of salt and pepper, and the broth. Proceed to turn the heat up to medium-high and cook until the broth begins to boil.
Once boiling, turn down the heat to medium and then add in the potato flakes, whisk to incorporate.
After that, stir in the milk and continue to cook on medium heat. Lower the heat at any point if the soup is about to boil.
Add the potatoes
When the potatoes have finished cooking in the microwave, transfer them to a cutting board.
Then, using a hot pad, quickly dice the potatoes. They don’t have to be perfect but remember to use the hot pad so that you don’t burn your hands.
Continue to add the diced potatoes to the soup mixture and use the whisk to mash them around in the soup. You don’t want to get rid of all of the potato chunks, but you will want to mash them up a bit to get rid of some.
Next, add in half of the crumbled bacon and the cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted.
Proceed to divide the soup into serving-sized bowls, top each bowl with the remaining bacon bits and cheese. If desired, add some sour cream and chives too.
Serve warm and enjoy!
20 MINUTE LOADED BAKED POTATO SOUP
- 3 medium russet potatoes scrubbed
- 2 cups broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 TBSP butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 slices bacon cooked crispy & crumbled (or use 2 TBSP bacon bits)
- ½ cup cheddar cheese + more for topping
- Prep: Wash and pierce the potatoes with a fork. Then, place them on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 8-10 minutes. Check the firmness after 8 minutes, they should be soft. If not, place them back in for another 2 minutes.
- Soup base: While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Add in the onion powder, a few shakes of salt and pepper, and the broth. Turn the heat up to medium-high and cook until the broth begins to boil.
- Once boiling, turn down the heat to medium and then add in the potato flakes, whisk to incorporate. Stir in the milk and continue to cook on medium heat. Lower the heat at any point if the soup is about to boil.
- Add the potatoes: When the potatoes have finished cooking in the microwave, transfer them to a cutting board. Using a hot pad, quickly dice the potatoes. They don't have to be perfect but remember to use the hot pad so that you don't burn your hands.
- Add the diced potatoes to the soup mixture and use the whisk to mash them around in the soup. You don't want to get rid of all of the potato chunks, but you will want to mash them up a bit to get rid of some.
- Serve: Add in half of the crumbled bacon and the cheese to the soup. Stir until the cheese has melted. Divide the soup into serving-sized bowls, top each bowl with the remaining bacon bits and cheese. If desired, add some sour cream and chives too. Serve warm and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How long is baked potato soup good for?
This soup is best when served immediately, but you can keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 or 3 days. If needed, add in a little more liquid to the pot as the leftovers reheat later.
Why do they call it loaded baked potato soup?
It’s called that because we load it up with toppings like cheese and bacon. You can even add more toppings like sour cream, green onions or chives, etc. Whatever you’d normally enjoy on your baked potatoes would probably taste really good mixed in or added on top of your bowl of soup.
Can I use leftover baked potatoes instead?
If you happen to have leftover baked potatoes already sitting in your fridge from a previous meal, go ahead and dice them up for this soup recipe instead of cooking fresh ones. This can really help to reduce a lot of the prep time since the potatoes are already cooked through!
Check out these other great soups and stews recipes to enjoy:
- CROCKPOT POTATO SOUP
- CREAMY TOMATO SOUP WITH TORTELLINI
- TORTILLA SOUP WITH BLACK BEANS
- COPYCAT CHICK-FIL-A CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- WISCONSIN CAULIFLOWER SOUP
- CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER
- LASAGNA SOUP
- SLOW COOKER FRENCH ONION SOUP
- OLIVE GARDEN CHICKEN GNOCCHI SOUP
- CHICKEN ALFREDO SOUP
- EASY PUMPKIN SOUP
- THREE CHEESE SOUP
20-Minute Loaded Baked Potato Soup a hearty meal that is simple to make and ready in no time! Make this easy baked potato soup any day of the week, it comes together quickly and is absolutely amazing.