Chocolate Chip Banana Mug Cake is a delicious single-serving treat that’s ready in less than 5 minutes! Chocolate chip mug cake packed with yummy banana flavor in every bite!
This soft and sweet banana and chocolate chip mug cake has an almost banana bread-like texture that pairs perfectly with the addition of yummy chocolate chips. A balance of amazing flavors rolled into every bite, this easy mug cake recipe will easily become a go-to when you want an incredible dessert fast!
What is a mug cake?
A mug cake, is just what it sounds like, it is a single serving cake that is made and baked right inside of a mug. This is a personal portion dessert or treat that anyone can make with minimal ingredients and effort, in the convenience of their own microwave. This dessert is a perfect treat to make when you are in the mood for a sweet treat but do not want a whole cake. Mug cakes come in many different flavors and varieties, and once you try one, you will want to try them all.
Why we think you will love this recipe too!
- It is versatile. You can omit the chocolate chips, switch up the chocolate for another variety or add in a dash of cinnamon to truly make this more of a mini banana bread in a cup. You can experiment with the ingredients and hone in on the flavor combination that you love the most.
- Minimal ingredients. Not only do we need fewer ingredients to make this mug cake than we would in regular banana bread, but we also need much less of each ingredient too! Teaspoons and tablespoons of ingredients instead of cups, so even if you do not have much of an ingredient on hand, you may still have enough for this sweet snack.
- Everyone can enjoy them! Enjoy this banana bread mug cake as a treat before bed or as a mid-day snack. This is a recipe that adults and kids can all enjoy at any time of the day.
Banana Bread Mug Cake Ingredients
Banana: You will need 1 small overripe banana, that has been mashed, for the base of this incredible cake recipe.
Egg: Use 1 large egg for the mug cake to have the perfect consistency and texture.
Oil: Adding in 1 tablespoon of canola oil or vegetable oil will make your mug cake extra moist and tender.
Vanilla extract: Use a few drops (about ¼ teaspoon) of vanilla extract to help enhance the flavors in this mug cake well.
Flour: You will need 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour for this cake recipe.
Baking powder: Using ½ teaspoon of baking powder will help your mug cake to rise nicely as it cooks.
Sugar: Use 2 tablespoons of brown sugar for the perfect sweetness and depth of flavor added to every bite.
Chocolate Chips: Adding in 1 tablespoon of dark chocolate chips will make your mug cake extra fabulous.
How to make Chocolate Chip Banana Mug Cake
Start by lightly greasing the inside of a mug cake with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
Put the one banana in the mug and mash well.
Then, add in the egg, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix together with a fork until fully mixed.
Next, add the flour, baking powder, and brown sugar and mix again to combine.
After that, pour in about ½ of the chocolate chips and then mix to distribute.
Proceed to sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top of the cake without mixing them in.
Place the mug in the microwave, on full power, for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
Let the mug and cake cool for about 1-2 minutes after removing from the microwave, be careful, the mug might be hot.
Serve immediately, eat directly from the mug and enjoy!
How do I know when my mug cake is finished cooking?
The mug cake will look a little wet in the top center of the cake, but this is normal and it will dry as the cake rests for a minute outside of the microwave. The edges of your cake should look set, and the cake itself should be fully cooked throughout. You can test with a toothpick being inserted into the center.
CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA MUG CAKE
- 1 small overripe banana mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp canola/vegetable oil
- A few drops vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- Start by lightly greasing the inside of a mug cake with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Put the one banana in the mug and mash well.
- Then, add in the egg, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix together with a fork until fully mixed.
- Next, add the flour, baking powder, and brown sugar and mix again to combine.
- After that, pour in about ½ of the chocolate chips and then mix to distribute.
- Proceed to sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top of the cake without mixing them in.
- Place the mug in the microwave, on full power, for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Let the mug and cake cool for about 1-2 minutes after removing from the microwave, be careful, the mug might be hot. Serve immediately, eat directly from the mug and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How long is banana mug cake good for?
This cake is best when served immediately after being made, but if desired, you can keep it stored in the fridge for up to 2 days after it has been made. Simply scoop the cake out of the cup and place it into an airtight container to keep it fresh.
What can I add to my banana mug cake?
Feel free to add in any chopped nuts that you may want, that would be a great addition to this cake. You can also add in sprinkles or swap out the chocolate chips for a different variety like white chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, or a mixture of them both. Top with some extra sliced banana and a spoonful of Nutella or melted chocolate before serving for an added touch of deliciousness.
Can I make banana mug cake gluten free?
Yes! Simply swap out the all-purpose flour for gluten free all purpose flour and you can have yourself a delicious gluten free treat in minutes.
We love banana recipes and if you do too, try more recipes here!
- PEANUT BUTTER CUP BROWNIE TRIFLE
- BANANA CUPCAKES WITH LEMON BUTTERCREAM
- 3 INGREDIENT BANANA PANCAKES
- CARAMEL BANANA CREAM PIE COOKIES
- BANANA CREAM PIE COOKIES
- BANANA PECAN PANCAKES
- BUTTER PECAN BANANA CREAM PIE
- BANANA SPLIT HOT CHOCOLATE
- NO-BAKE PEANUT BUTTER BANANA FUDGE BARS
- STRAWBERRY BANANA BARS
- BANANA CREAM CHEESECAKES
- BANANA MILKSHAKES
Chocolate Chip Banana Mug Cake is a delicious single-serving treat that is so simple to make. Ready in less than 5 minutes, you can have a personal-sized chocolate chip mug cake packed with yummy banana flavor in every bite.