Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Trifle is a delicious and indulgent treat that everyone is sure to love. The flavors in this peanut butter brownie recipe are a match made in heaven, a perfect pairing of rich chocolate and nutty peanut butter.
This peanut butter and chocolate dessert takes a classic brownie to the next level by layering it with creamy caramel, whipped cream and crunchy peanuts. The result is a delightful brownie trifle that’s perfect for any occasion.
History of Peanut Butter Brownie Trifle
Peanut butter brownie trifle is a dessert that combines layers of rich chocolate brownies, creamy caramel sauce, and whipped cream. The origins of this dessert are not clear, but it is believed to have originated in the United States. The combination of peanut butter and chocolate has been a popular flavor combination for many years, and it is no surprise that it has been used in desserts.
The peanut butter brownie trifle likely originated in the late 20th century, as peanut butter became more popular in the United States. Today, it is a popular dessert served at parties and special occasions. Overall, the peanut butter brownie trifle is a delicious and decadent dessert that is sure to please any chocolate and peanut butter lover.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Easy to Make: This recipe is straightforward and easy to follow. All you need to do is bake the brownies, whip up the cream, and layer everything in a trifle dish.
- Customizable: This recipe is very versatile and can be customized to suit your tastes. You can add different toppings, such as chopped peanuts or chocolate chips, or swap out the caramel sauce for another one of your liking.
- Impressive Presentation: The layers of brownie, caramel, bananas, and whipped cream make for an impressive presentation. This dessert looks and tastes like it took a lot of effort to make, but it’s actually quite simple.
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Trifle
Brownie mix: To simplify this dessert recipe, use one 18-ounce box of brownie mix, baked per the box instructions.
Eggs: You need 2 eggs for most brownie mixes. If the box indicates differently, follow the box instructions.
Water: Again, follow the directions on the box, but most brownie mixes require 3 tablespoons of water.
Oil: Use ½ cup of vegetable or coconut oil. I often use coconut oil – it works great! Just make sure it is melted before you add it to the mix.
Reese’s peanut butter cups: You will need 9 regular sized peanut butter cups to bake into the brownies.
Heavy whipping cream: 1 cup of whipping cream will be whipped to create the whipped cream for the trifle. If you prefer, you can use Cool Whip topping as well.
Bananas: Slice up 3 bananas to layer in the trifle. The flavor of the bananas goes so well with the chocolate, peanut butter and caramel.
Caramel sauce: The recipe calls for 6 tablespoons of caramel sauce (ice cream topping), but you can use as much as you’d like!
Roasted peanuts: You need 6 tablespoons of chopped, unsalted, roasted peanuts. That is about ¼-⅓ cup, but again, you can use as much as you’d like.
How to make Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Trifle
Start by preheating the oven according to the brownie mix instructions. Then, lightly coat an 8X8 inch square pan with cooking spray and then line with parchment paper (spray the parchment paper with cooking spray also).
Also, slice the bananas into ½” pieces and set aside for future use.
Proceed to prepare the brownie batter according to package directions.
Next, pour half the batter in the pan, and then top with peanut butter cups, gently pressing them down. Cover the cups with the other half of the batter and bake according to package directions. Let the brownies cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes.
Then, transfer the brownies to a cutting board and cut into ½-inch squares.
Make whipped cream
In a large bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. This typically takes about 5-7 minutes. Also, if you want to sweeten the whipped cream up a bit, you can add ¼ cup of powder sugar before whipping the cream.
To assemble the trifle, create a layer of brownie bites, then sliced bananas, next spread some whipped cream on top and then add some caramel on top of that. I did two layers of each and then sprinkled some of the peanuts on the very top.
You can either make about 8-10 individual trifles or put all the ingredients into a large trifle bowl. Serve and enjoy!
Variations of Peanut Butter Brownie Trifle
There are many ways to customize a peanut butter brownie trifle to suit different tastes and preferences. Here are a few ideas to get started:
- Add fruit: For a fresh twist, add sliced bananas, strawberries, or raspberries to the layers of the trifle. This adds a pop of color and a burst of flavor that complements the rich chocolate and peanut butter.
- Switch up the brownie: Try using a different type of brownie for the base of the trifle. A fudgy brownie will create a dense, decadent dessert, while a cakey brownie will add a lighter texture. Experiment with different flavors of brownies, such as mint chocolate or caramel.
- Make it vegan: Use vegan brownies and substitute coconut whipped cream for the dairy-based whipped cream to make this dessert vegan-friendly.
PEANUT BUTTER CUP BROWNIE TRIFLE
- 18 oz box of brownie mix
- 3 TBPS water
- ½ cup oil (vegetable, canola, coconut)
- 2 eggs
- 9 large peanut butter cups
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large bananas sliced
- 6 TBPS caramel sauce
- 6 TBPS unsalted roasted peanuts roughly chopped
- Prep: Preheat the oven according to the brownie mix instructions. Lightly coat an 8X8 inch square pan with cooking spray and then line with parchment paper (spray the parchment paper with cooking spray also). Also, slice the bananas into ½" pieces and set aside for future use.
- Make brownies: Prepare the brownie batter according to package directions.
- Pour half the batter in the pan, and then top with peanut butter cups, gently pressing them down. Cover the cups with the other half of the batter and bake according to package directions. Let the brownies cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes. Transfer the brownies to a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch squares.
- Make whipped cream: In a large bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. This typically takes about 5-7 minutes. Also, if you want to sweeten the whipped cream up a bit, you can add 1/4 cup of powder sugar before whipping the cream.
- Assemble: To assemble the trifle, create a layer of brownie bites, then slice bananas, next spread some whipped cream on top and then add some caramel on top of that. I did two layers of each and then sprinkled some of the peanuts on the very top.
- You can either make about 8-10 individual trifles or put all the ingredients into a large trifle bowl. Serve and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
When to Serve Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Trifle
This dessert is perfect to serve up for any occasion (or no occasion at all!) If you’ve ever had a craving for some peanut butter and chocolate, then you already know what I’m talking about. Make a nice batch of this trifle and enjoy it whenever the mood strikes, or make a large container full for your next party, get-together, or BBQ where a cold dessert is welcomed. Either way, it won’t last long!
What is the correct way to layer a trifle?
The correct way to layer a trifle is to start with a layer of brownies on the bottom of the dish. Then, add a layer of bananas, then whipped cream followed by a layer of caramel sauce. Repeat the layers until the dish is full, ending with a layer of whipped cream on top. Garnish with chopped peanuts or fresh fruit if desired.
How long is brownie trifle good for?
Brownie trifle can last for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. However, it is best to consume it within the first 24 hours for optimal freshness.
How far ahead can you assemble a trifle?
You can assemble a trifle up to 24 hours in advance. However, it is recommended to assemble it a few hours before serving to ensure that the layers do not become soggy.
Here are our favorite recipes with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups:
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Blondies
- 3-Ingredient Reese’s Fudge
- Reese’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Reese’s Chocolate Dump Cake
- Reese’s Krispie No Bake Cookies
- Reese’s Cookie Bars
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookies
- Reese’s Pretzel Bars
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Pudding Cookies
- Reese’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cornflake Cookies
- Reese’s Chocolate Cookie Cups
LIKE BROWNIES? CHECK OUT THESE GREAT BROWNIES RECIPES:
- Smores Brownies Recipe
- The Best Mint Brownies Recipe
- The Easiest Brownie Recipe
- Snickers Brownie Bites Recipe
- Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies Recipe
- Double Chocolate Banana Bars Recipe
- Cookies & Cream Brownies Recipe
- Orange Cheesecake Brownies Recipe
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies Recipe
- Easy Black Forest Brownie Recipe
- BEST Brownies Ever Recipe
- Glazed Orange Brownies
- The Best Mint Brownies
- Chocolate Cherry Brownie Bites
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Brownies
- Best Marshmallow Brownies
Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Trifle is made with brownies, Reese’s peanut butter cups, bananas, caramel and peanuts. Delicious peanut butter brownie recipe that is so easy to make!