What are red velvet cheesecake brownies?
Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownie Ingredients
For the brownies, you will need:
-Eggs: We need 2 large eggs to help bind the brownies together and get the perfect consistency and thickness of brownie.
-Butter: We also need 1/2 cup (one stick) of softened butter.
-Sugar: One cup of granulated sugar will give us a sweet brownie to offset the other flavors in this recipe.
-Vanilla: We need 2 teaspoons of vanilla to get a great flavor base and to enhance the other flavors.
-Cocoa powder: Using 1/4 cup of unsweetened baking cocoa powder, we will create a chocolate packed brownie.
-Salt: This is a flavor enhancer that helps to make the others shine. We need 1/8 teaspoon of salt to help make everything POP.
-Red food coloring: I highly recommend 1 1/2 teaspoons of red gel food coloring as it works great. You can use liquid coloring, but you’ll need more because the color is less potent. Also: Wilton makes a red gel coloring without the “red dye taste” for those with aversions to the taste of red coloring.
-Vinegar: We need 3/4 teaspoons of vinegar to help get that acid we need to make the true red velvet flavor we want.
-Flour: 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour will be our base for this brownie recipe.
-Chocolate chips: Optional- but recommended because they’re delicious is 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips to go in these brownies.
For the cheesecake swirl, you will need:
-Cream cheese: We need 8 ounces (one brick) of softened cream cheese for the cheesecake batter.
-Sugar: 1/4 cups of granulated sugar will help to sweeten the cream cheese so it’s sweet and tangy.
-Egg yolk: We don’t need an entire egg, just a single yolk will do it!
-Vanilla: We need 1/2 teaspoon of this flavor enhancer. I like to use high-quality vanilla, but use what you have on hand.
How to make Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper or spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Set it aside.
Make the brownie batter first by beating the two eggs together in a small bowl.
In a large bowl, melt your butter in the microwave, using 30 second increments until melted.
Stir in sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and vinegar. Mix them all into the batter in that order.
Whisk in the eggs and then fold in the flour until it’s completely incorporated. Do not over mix.
Pour the batter into the bottom of the prepred pan, reserving about 3-4 tablespoons for the top.
Pour your mini chocolate chips over the batter in the pan and lightly press down on them using a rubber scraper so that they stick.
Now make the cheesecake swirl by beating the cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla in a bowl until completely smooth. This should take about a minute.
Scoop dollops of cheesecake batter onto the brownie batter in the pan and then add on the reserved brownie batter.
Use a knife to glide through the layers and create a swirled pattern until it looks how you want it to.
Bake the brownies in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting into squares.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter (one stick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp gel red food coloring (more needed if liquid coloring)
- 3/4 tsp white vinegar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Spray 8x8 baking pan with nonstick spray or coat with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the brownie layer first. In a small bowl, beat the 2 eggs together. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments until melted. Stir in 1 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and vinegar. Mix each of those ingredients into the batter in that order.
- Whisk in the eggs, then fold in the flour until completely incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Pour the brownie batter into prepared baking pan, reserving about 3-4 TBSP for the top. Pour the mini chocolate chips on top of the brownie batter and gently press/ mix them in a bit using a rubber scraper.
- Make the cheesecake swirl. With a mixer (or whisk vigorously by hand) on medium speed, beat the softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, egg yolk, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl until completely smooth - about 1 minute.
- Dollop spoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture on top of the prepared brownie batter. Cover with the reserved brownie batter. Glide a knife through the layers, creating a swirl pattern.
- Bake the brownies for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting into squares.
adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
How long are red velvet cheesecake brownies good for?
What is red velvet flavor?
Red velvet flavor is a combination of chocolate and acidic ingredients (usually buttermilk or vinegar). In this case, we are using white vinegar to get the acid we need to create this flavor. With the vinegar and the chocolate from the cocoa powder, we get a red velvet flavor without actually making a red velvet cake.
Can Red Velvet Cake be a different color?
Yes, it can! While red velvet is known for being red you can actually use any food coloring color to change its appearance. So if you wanted a blue velvet brownie, or to have orange or purple you can certainly do so. Just keep in mind that the batter is already tinted brown so some colors won’t turn out well and others may require more food coloring to be added to get a nice hue.
Like Brownies? Check out these great brownies recipes:
- The Best Mint Brownies Recipe
- The Easiest Brownie Recipe
- Snickers Brownie Bites Recipe
- Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies Recipe
- Double Chocolate Banana Bars Recipe
- Cookies & Cream Brownies Recipe
- Orange Cheesecake Brownies Recipe
- Marshmallow Brownies Recipe
- Easy Black Forest Brownie Recipe
- BEST Brownies Ever Recipe
- Glazed Orange Brownies
- Brownies with Cheesecake Frosting
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Brownies
- Chocolate Cherry Brownie Bites
- Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies