Double Chocolate Banana Bars are made with basic kitchen staple ingredients and 5 bananas, making these bars extra flavorful and delicious! This banana bread recipe is not too sweet and perfect any time of day, try it for breakfast, snack or even dessert.
This banana bars recipe is a simple variation on the classic bread, we add additional ingredients and bake it in a large pan to enjoy these as bars instead of thick slices of bread. These chocolate chip banana bars are the yummiest ways to eat ripe bananas, plus I sneak some healthy ingredients in and my kids can’t even taste it!
Easy Chocolate Banana Bars
Double Chocolate Banana Bars are a variation of our popular Chocolate Chip Banana Bars recipe. My family adores this version made with even more chocolate. We use whole wheat flour, coconut oil and even add spinach to make these delicious treats healthier. I like to serve these as an after-school snack, but they are also perfect for breakfast and lunch. I make a pan and watch them disappear within a day, they are THAT good! I like to make a batch, then cool, cut and freeze in individual baggies. Since they are filling, they make a wonderful addition to my kids school lunch.
Banana Bars Tips
Just a couple quick tips about this recipe to make your baking experience great.
- If you cut the pan into 24 squares (which is a good sized square!) I calculate each square to be about 168 calories with 3 grams of protein. The bananas and spinach add some potassium and iron too, so overall, not a bad little treat. It is a great banana recipe to use up those overly ripe bananas, we always seem to have ripe bananas on hand about once a month or so.
- Much like a quick bread, these Double Chocolate Banana Bars do not need to be made with an electric mixer. Over-mixing will cause them to lose their fluffy texture. A simple mixing bowl and rubber scraper work just fine. I like to make these in my large jelly roll pan that has a lid, that way I can easily keep them fresh for several days while we enjoy them.
Double Chocolate Banana Bar Ingredients
Bananas: You will need 5-6 very ripe bananas (about 1 2/3 cup), to give these bars amazing flavor and texture.
Brown sugar: Adding in ¾ cup of brown sugar will give these bars a sweet taste and wonderful depth of flavor.
Oil: Use ¼ cup of canola oil (or coconut oil) to create nice tender bread bars.
Milk: You need ¼ cup of milk to give these bars much needed moisture to make them so soft and fluffy.
Eggs: For a great rich taste and texture, add in 2 eggs to this bread batter.
Cocoa powder: Add in ⅓ cup of cocoa powder to make these bread bars nice and chocolatey.
Flour: The base and structure of this bread is 1 ¾ cups of flour, I like to use whole wheat flour.
Baking soda: Adding in 1 teaspoon of baking soda helps these bars rise and puff as they bake.
Salt: To help balance all the flavors in this recipe, add in ½ teaspoon of salt.
Cinnamon: For more great flavor, use 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
Chocolate chips: Add in 1 ¼ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips for the second dose of chocolate in this recipe, divided. I used a combination of mini chocolate chips, regular sized chocolate chips and dark chocolate chunks for this recipe. You can use whatever you have on hand or prefer, there is no wrong way to go here.
Spinach (optional): I like to add 1 cup of finely chopped spinach leaves, to sneak in some healthy nutrients since my kids eat these bars by the fist full.
How to make Chocolate Banana Bars
Begin by getting the oven preheating to 350 degrees F. Then, spray a 15×10.5″ pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
Next, peel the bananas and mash them well in a large bowl. Proceed to stir in the brown sugar, oil, milk and eggs until well combined.
After that, add in the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, continue to stir ingredients together until no white streaks show.
Then, fold in the finely chopped spinach (if desired) and only 3/4 cups of chocolate chips.
Continue to spread the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the top with the remaining chocolate chips.
Place the baking pan in the preheated oven and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Let the bars cool completely for about 20 minutes, then cut into squares, serve and enjoy!
Double Chocolate Banana Bars
- 5-6 very ripe bananas about 1 ⅔ cup
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil or coconut oil
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ cup flour I use whole wheat
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ¼ cup chocolate chips divided
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach leaves if desired
- Prep: Begin by getting the oven preheating to 350 degrees F. Then, spray a 15×10.5″ pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Batter: Next, peel the bananas and mash them well in a large bowl. Proceed to stir in the brown sugar, oil, milk and eggs until well combined.
- After that, add in the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, continue to stir ingredients together until no white streaks show. Then, fold in the finely chopped spinach (if desired) and only 3/4 cups of chocolate chips.
- Bake: Continue to spread the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the top with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Place the baking pan in the preheated oven and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let the bars cool completely for about 20 minutes, then cut into squares, serve and enjoy!
HOW LONG ARE THESE CHOCOLATE BANANA BARS GOOD FOR?
I recommend eating these bars within 3 days for the best tasting results. You can keep them stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days, but eating these banana bars sooner means they will taste so much better. That is if there are even any left after your family gets a taste of them.
CAN I FREEZE THESE CHOCOLATE BANANA BARS?
Yes, these bread bars can be frozen. Simply place them in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before eating by placing a bar (or more) on the counter for about 30 minutes to come to room temperature.
What are the Best Measuring Cups?
I always have 4-5 sets of measuring cups on hand at any given time. Here are some characteristics of my favorites:
- Use stainless steel measuring cups. They hold up better, last longer and I can run them through the dishwasher a million times without any issues.
- Use measuring cups with no lip and at least a 3″ handle. Smaller, 1″ squat handles are just awkward. And the cups that have a lip are harder to level ingredients.
- Get nesting cups that can be separated.
- Go for a large set of cups with uncommon measurements! I have a big set with a 2 cup measuring cup, a 1 ½ cup measuring cup and even a ⅔ cup. I’m amazed at how often I use them!
Like Brownies? Check out these other great brownies recipes:
- The Best Mint Brownies
- The Easiest Brownies
- Snickers Brownie Bites
- Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies
- Cookies & Cream Brownies
- Orange Cheesecake Brownies
- Marshmallow Brownies
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies
- Easy Black Forest Brownie
- BEST Brownies Ever
Make sure you try a few of our other favorite banana recipes too:
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
- Peanut Butter Banana Bars
- Banana Cream Cheesecakes
- Banana Cream Cookies
- Cranberry Banana Bread
- Buttermilk Banana Cake
Double Chocolate Banana Bars are made with simple pantry staple ingredients and 5 bananas, making these bread bars extra yummy! This banana bread recipe is not overly sweet and great any time of day, enjoy them for breakfast, snack or even dessert.