Chocolate Chip Banana Cake is a lovely homemade banana cake recipe with the addition of chocolate chips! A perfect recipe for ripe bananas.
This cake is a fabulous way to use up those super ripe bananas you have left over! It’s got incredible flavor and really, a chocolate-banana combination is always a winner. I love the light and fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting on it too. Top it with mini chocolate chips and prepare to wow your family with this delicious cake!
Making Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
This cake is incredibly easy to make. While it’s not as simple as some of my bundt cakes which start with a boxed ix, this one is completely made from scratch. Don’t be scared though, because it’s not much more effort than making a standard banana bread recipe except that it’s using a bundt pan and includes a delicious frosting recipe to smother it in once it’s cooled. Yum!
Can I make this banana cake and frosting dairy free?
Yes! With a simple substitution of a plant based non-dairy butter you can make this recipe and the frosting both dairy free. You’ll also want to use dairy free chocolate chips because this recipe is amazing with the chocolate and you don’t want to miss out.
How do I keep my bundt cake from sticking to the pan?
I highly recommend investing in a nonstick cooking spray specifically designed for baked goods. It really makes all of the difference. Not only that, but allowing the cake to cool in the ant for a few minutes before removing will help it to shrink up just a bit and fall off of the sides naturally.
Chocolate Chip Banana Cake Ingredients
-1/2 cup butter (1 stick) softened
-1 1/2 cups sugar
-3-4 ripe bananas, mashed
-1 tsp vanilla
-1/4 cup milk
-2 cups flour
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
Vanilla Butter Cream Ingredients
-½ cup butter
-3 cups powdered sugar
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-2 tbsp milk
-mini chocolate chips
How to Make Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and spray a bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the butter and the sugar. Add in the eggs, banana, vanilla, and milk.
Next, add in the dry ingredients with the exception of the chocolate chips. Whisk the batter until well combined.
Stir in the chocolate chips.
Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes and then let the cake cool in the pan for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and let the cake cool completely before frosting.
To make the vanilla buttercream frosting, mix the butter with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Add in 3 cups of powdered sugar, one cup at a time until all is incorporated. Add n 1 tsp of vanilla and 2 tablespoons of milk. Mix until smooth.
Spread onto the cooled cake and then top with mini chocolate chips as desired.
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a bundt cake pan with non-stick spray. (I like to use the non-stick spray made specifically for baked goods- it really makes a difference! It's so fast! There's nothing worse than a cake that won't come out of a bundt pan...)
- In large mixing bowl whisk together the butter and sugar. Add eggs, banana, vanilla and milk. Next, add in dry ingredients except chocolate chips, whisking until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Fully cool prior to frosting.
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting: Whisk 1/2 cup butter with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Add in 1 tsp vanilla and 2 TBSP milk. Mix until smooth. Spread on cooled cake. Top with mini chocolate chips.
How to store banana cake
After you have your cake completely frosted, let it set before storing. Keep it lightly covered with plastic wrap or in a sealed container to remain fresh. You should keep your frosted cake int he fridge for up to a week but you can freeze it unfrosted for up to 3 months.
What chocolate chips taste best with this recipe?
You can use any variety of chocolate that you think tastes best with bananas. Whether or not you prefer semi sweet chocolate or milk chocolate is up to you. I bet this recipe would even taste great with white chocolate chips!
Other incredible ripe banana recipes to give a try!
- White Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Banana Cream Cheesecake Bars
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bars
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Caramel Banana Cream Tiramisu
- Glazed Blueberry Banana Bars
- Nutella Banana Muffins
- Banana Split Milkshakes
- Yogurt Banana Bread
- Banana Split Pie
- Banana Cream Cookies
- Cranberry Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Banana Bars
- Caramel Banana Nut Bread
- Banana Cream Cheesecakes
Your friends and family are going to love this simple chocolate chip banana cake. Don’t be surprised if you start stashing bananas to the side just so you can have an excuse to make it again!