Cheesy Sour Cream Chicken a flavorful, comforting, simple dinner made in just 30 minutes! This recipe chicken sour cream is made in a skillet with 2 kind of cheese & topped with crispy bacon.
This sour cream chicken dish is easy to prepare to make, which is why it has become one of our favorite weekday meals. The seasoned sour cream mixture helps to keep the chicken moist and adds a lot of flavor to every irresistible bite. Serve this chicken in sour cream sauce up with your favorite sides, keep it simple with mashed potatoes or rice, it is sure to be a huge hit either way!
Sour Cream Skillet Chicken
This baked chicken recipe starts on the stovetop and ends in the oven. The results are a perfect chicken breast with a great golden color on both sides to hold in all of that juicy flavor. In fact, we start by crisping up bacon in our skillet so that the smothered sour cream chicken is searing its outsides in the bacon drippings for maximum flavor in every bite, YUM!
Why you’ll love this Easy Chicken Recipe
- Comes together fast! The recipe from start to finish is super simple, the whole process takes about 30 minutes. Meaning you can have a delicious dish in no time!
- Incredible flavor. Any recipe that includes two types of cheese AND bacon is one I know I’m going to love. The combination of flavors is simply heavenly, the seasoned sour cream, crispy bacon and juicy chicken pair so well together.
- Easy to follow steps. While the recipe may look time-consuming, I promise you it isn’t. You can create this sensational dish that looks fancy by following a few simple steps!
Smothered Cheesy Sour Cream Chicken Ingredients
Bacon: You will need 2 slices of cooked, chopped bacon for extra savory flavor.
Chicken: For the base of this dinner recipe, use 2 large chicken breasts that have been sliced in half horizontally. You could also use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you do not want to use chicken breasts.
Salt and pepper: To season the chicken before cooking, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper to your taste preference.
Sour cream: Using 1 cup of sour cream will keep the chicken nice and moist while baking. Plain Greek yogurt may also be used as a healthy substitute.
Parmesan cheese: Add in ¾ cups of freshly grated parmesan cheese to give this dish more great flavor.
Seasonings: You will need 1 teaspoon each of dried oregano, dried or fresh basil, and finely minced garlic. Also add in ½ teaspoon of pepper too.
Mozzarella cheese: Use 1 cup of mozzarella cheese that has been sliced or shredded as a topping for the chicken.
Garnishes: Some simple and delicious garnishes for this recipe includes sliced green onions and parsley.
How to make Cheesy Baked Sour Cream Chicken
Start by turning your oven broiler on to 500 degrees F and place the rack to the top position in the oven.
Next, begin cooking your bacon in a skillet that can be placed into the oven. Once the bacon has been cooked, remove it from the pan. Do not drain your bacon grease!
Then, make your chicken breasts thinner by pounding them out until they are similar size in thickness and season with some salt and pepper on both sides.
After that, place the chicken into the pan that you used to cook the bacon, right in the bacon grease. Cook for about 5-6 minutes on each side. It is okay if the chicken is not fully cooked through as it will finish cooking in the oven.
Make sour cream mix
In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, parmesan cheese, oregano, basil, garlic, and pepper, mix until well blended.
Now, place large spoonful’s of the sour cream mixture onto each piece of chicken. As it bakes, it thins and coats the entire piece of chicken.
Then, sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the top of the sour cream and chicken. Next, place the pan into the oven under the broiler.
Proceed to broil for 2-3 minutes or until the chicken is melted and lightly browned. The chicken’s internal temperature should be 165-degree F, check to ensure the chicken is cooked all the way through.
Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle with the prepared bacon, parsley, or green onions.
Serve immediately and enjoy this savory dish!
CHEESY BAKED SOUR CREAM CHICKEN
- 2 slices bacon cooked & chopped
- 2 large chicken breasts halved horizontally
- ½ teaspoon Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Garnishes: sliced green onion or parsley.
- Prep: Turn the broiler to 500°F, move the rack to the top of the oven.
- Start by cooking your bacon in a skillet that can be placed into the oven. Once the bacon has been cooked, remove it from the pan. Do not drain your bacon grease!
- Then, make your chicken breasts thinner by pounding them out until they are similar size in thickness and season with some salt and pepper on both sides.
- Cook chicken: Place the chicken into the pan that you used to cook the bacon, right in the bacon grease. Cook for about 5-6 minutes on each side. It is okay if the chicken is not fully cooked through as it will finish cooking in the oven.
- Sour cream mixture: In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, parmesan cheese, oregano, basil, garlic, and pepper, mix until well blended.
- Assemble: Now, place large spoonful's of the sour cream mixture onto each piece of chicken. Then, sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the top of the sour cream and chicken.
- Bake: Proceed to broil the chicken for 2-3 minutes or until the chicken is melted and lightly browned. Chicken internal temperature should be 165 degree F, check to ensure the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle with the prepared bacon, parsley, or green onion. Serve immediately and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Can I use frozen chicken breasts?
Yes, you can use frozen chicken breasts for this recipe. Just make sure that they are similar in size so that they can fit in the pan. Depending on their size you may not need to pound them out thinner. You will want to defrost them before starting this recipe.
How long is baked sour cream chicken good for?
This chicken is good for up to 5 days if kept stored in an airtight container in the fridge. This should give you plenty of time to enjoy leftovers throughout the week! You can reheat in the microwave and then hit it with 2 minutes under the broiler to bring it back to life and be as appetizing as day one.
What do I serve with sour cream chicken?
The great thing about this chicken is that you can pretty much pair it with anything you will have a complete and delicious meal. This dish would be great when served with some Crispy Skillet Potatoes. Add a nice summer corn salad and/or fresh vegetables to round out the meal. Really, you can’t go wrong with pairing anything with this chicken.
Want more chicken recipes? Check out these tasty suggestions:
- CHEESY BAKED CHICKEN BREASTS
- RANCH CHICKEN BACON KABOBS
- OVEN BAKED CHICKEN WINGS
- OVEN BAKED CHICKEN BREASTS
- EASY CHICKEN MANICOTTI
- CREAMY LEMON CHICKEN PASTA
- OVEN BAKED FRIED CHICKEN
- ITALIAN CHICKEN SKILLET
- ZESTY ITALIAN CHICKEN
- BACON WRAPPED CHICKEN TENDERS
Cheesy Sour Cream Chicken is a delicious dinner that is made in only 30 minutes! Try this recipe for chicken sour cream with 2 kind of cheese & topped with crispy bacon.