These blackberry Caprese skewers are 3 simple ingredients on a stick. They are the perfect make ahead healthy appetizer for a party or get together. Simple, fancy, and delicious!
Finding simple appetizers that are as impressive as they are tasty can often be a challenge. Dips and fried foods often see this as their time to shine but give these blackberry Caprese skewers a chance to shine and watch how everyone gets excited to try them. These healthy sticks can be a great change of pace from the dips and fried foods being served too!
About These Blackberry Caprese Skewers
Several months ago, my mother-in-law attended a party, and these little skewers were a favorite. They’re so simple, yet they add a nice elegance to the table. I am a die-hard traditional Caprese fan (with cherry tomatoes) and worried I’d miss them, but the sweet tart of the berries is delicious with the fresh basil and mozzarella. Try them!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- They’re simple! If 3 ingredients and a moment of time to prep sound like a good time, then you’re in luck. This recipe really couldn’t be any simpler. Grab the kids and set up an assembly line; they can help you whip up a batch of these fruity appetizers.
- They’re pretty healthy. When you think of appetizers (especially finer food appetizers) you’re mind might think of fried foods or heavy dips, but these appetizers are as fresh and light as you’d expect. Perfect for a light snack before a main dish.
- Perfect for any occasion. Serve up these blackberry skewers for a baby shower, wedding reception or bridal party, birthday, etc. They really add a nice appearance at any table, especially when you use a long skewer for a more dramatic look.
Blackberry Caprese Skewer Ingredients
Blackberries– You will need one 6-ounce sized container of fresh blackberries.
Mozzarella– Use an 8-ounce package of fresh mozzarella pearls. You can often find these in your grocery store’s deli section near the fancy cheeses and meats.
Basil– You only need one bunch of fresh basil.
Skewers– Use wooden skewers (like kabob skewers for this recipe, or use toothpicks if desired).
How to Make Blackberry Caprese Skewers
Tear the basil leaves to be about the size of a quarter.
Skewer one piece of basil, then a mozzarella pearl, followed by another piece of basil.
End with a blackberry.
Serve & enjoy!
How far in advance can I make blackberry Caprese skewers?
These skewers can be made up to a few days in advance if you keep them properly stored in the fridge. For the best tasting results, make them not long before eating, but prepping a day or two in advance of a party is a great time saver later.
BLACKBERRY CAPRESE SKEWERS
- 6 ounce Fresh Blackberries
- 8 ounce Fresh Mozzarella Pearls
- 1 bunch Fresh Basil
- Wooden Skewers
- Wash and dry your berries.
- Tear the basil leaves so that they are about the size of a quarter.
- Skewer one piece of basil and then follow with a mozzarella pearl.
- Add a piece of basil and then end with a whole blackberry.
- Place on a serving platter, serve and enjoy.
What is Caprese?
It’s a simple Italian salad served with mozzarella cheese, fresh tomatoes, and basil. In this case, we’re using blackberries instead. And while it may not be plated like a traditional salad on a plate, there are green leaves involved, so it’s a cheesy fruit salad on a stick. 😉
Where do you find mozzarella pearls?
Mozzarella pearls are often found in the grocery store’s deli department. Around the same area, you find the baby bell cheese or the fancy soft cheese varieties. You can always confirm this by asking a store attendant, as not all stores have the same layout.
What kind of stick should I use?
There are so many different types of wooden skewers that you can use, ranging from long kabob sticks (like what we used) for a more dramatic look or toothpicks. There are also the fancier toothpicks used in alcoholic drinks to hold olives and other pieces of food in the glass. Any of these options could be great for adding a little flair to the appearance.
Check out some of the best appetizer recipes we have to offer!
- Chicken Parmesan Appetizer
- Spinach Dip and Veggie Cups
- Bacon Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Pineapple Teriyaki Meatballs
- Orange Creamsicle Fruit Dip
- Sandwich Appetizer Skewers
- Mini Cheese Balls
- Chicken Parmesan Sliders
- Chile Lime Smoked Chicken Wings
- Swiss and Cheddar Cheese Fondue
- Sausage and Cheese Stuffed Mini Peppers
- Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- Mexican Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Taco Bites
- Ham Pickle Roll Ups
With 3 simple ingredients on a stick these blackberry caprese skewers are as easy to make as they are delicious to eat. You’re going to love serving these up at your next party or event!