Chicken Caprese is a delicious Italian dish that combines the flavors of chicken, fresh tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil. This pasta dish is a perfect dinner option, as it is easy to prepare and can be made in under 60 minutes.
To make this caprese chicken recipe all you need is a handful of simple, fresh ingredients. Whether you are looking for a quick weeknight dinner or a dish to impress guests, this pasta caprese is sure to be a hit.
Easy Chicken Caprese Pasta
We’re having a warm start to Fall here in Utah, which means the tomatoes from my garden are still growing abundantly. It’s wonderful! This chicken caprese is a variation on a family favorite, I love how simple it is to make. The dish has incredible flavor and we all adore the fresh taste. This caprese pasta is a dish that combines the flavors of Italian Caprese salad with chicken and pasta. It is a simple yet flavorful meal that is easy to prepare and perfect for a weeknight dinner!
Why You’ll Love This Caprese Pasta Recipe
- Easy to Make: One of the best things about this recipe is how easy it is to make. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have a delicious and satisfying meal on the table in no time. The recipe calls for chicken, pasta, tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil, all of which are easy to find at your local grocery store.
- It’s Healthy: This recipe is also a healthy option for those who are watching their diet. The chicken provides a good source of protein, while the tomatoes and basil are loaded with vitamins and antioxidants. Plus, the dish is relatively low in calories, making it a great option for those who are trying to lose weight.
- Versatile dish: Another great thing about this recipe is how versatile it is. You can easily customize the dish to suit your preferences. For example, you can use different types of pasta or add in some additional vegetables like bell peppers or zucchini. You can also adjust the seasoning to your liking, adding more or less salt and pepper as needed.
Chicken Caprese Ingredients
Chicken: You will need 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts for the protein in this delicious meal.
Olive oil: Use ¼ cup of olive oil to create the base of the chicken marinade.
Balsamic vinegar: Adding in 2 TBSP of balsamic vinegar will give the marinade a wonderful kick of flavor.
Garlic: For some great earthy taste, you will want to add in 2 tsp of minced garlic.
Lemon juice: Using 1 TBSP of lemon juice adds a jolt of citrus flavor to this dish.
Cornstarch: Add in 2 tsp of cornstarch to help bind the marinade to the chicken.
Italian Seasoning: You will need 1 tsp of Italian Seasoning to give it the unmistakable flavor we all know and love.
Pasta: For the base of this meal, you will need 4 cups of cooked linguine, drizzled with olive oil.
Mozzarella: Use ¼ cup of fresh mozzarella balls to top this amazing dish with.
Tomato: Add ½ cup of diced tomatoes for a sweet, tart and tangy addition to this pasta dish.
Basil: Balance all the flavors by adding in ¼ cup of finely chopped fresh basil.
Seasoning: Add some salt & pepper to taste.
How to make Chicken Caprese Pasta
Begin by slicing the thawed chicken breasts into smaller pieces (if preferred). I like to just halve mine so that the chicken cooks faster and it’s easier to dish out portions to my kids.
Then, in a ziplocked bag or bowl, add in the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, cornstarch, and Italian Seasoning, whisk to combine. Now add the chicken and marinate it for 20 minutes.
Pasta & prep
While the chicken is marinating, prepare the pasta according to the package directions. Rinse & drain, set aside with the lid on top to keep it warm.
Also, dice the tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and if you are using fresh basil, chop that as well.
Cook & assemble
Once chicken is ready, sauté it in the marinade, on medium heat, for 5-8 minutes per side, depending on the size of your chicken breasts. A meat thermometer should register 165 degrees F when it is done.
Proceed to remove the chicken from the heat and set atop the linguine pasta on each portioned plate.
Continue to dot the chicken and pasta with fresh mozzarella and tomatoes, sprinkle basil on top if desired.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 4 cups cooked linguine drizzled with olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh mozzarella pieces
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Marinate chicken: Slice the thawed chicken breasts into smaller pieces (if preferred). I like to just halve mine so that the chicken cooks faster and it's easier to dish out portions to my kids.
- In a ziplocked bag, add in the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, cornstarch, and Italian Seasoning, whisk to combine. Add the chicken and marinate it for 20 minutes.
- Pasta & prep: While the chicken is marinating, prepare the pasta according to the package directions. Rinse & drain, set aside with the lid on top to keep it warm.
- Dice the tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and if you are using fresh basil, chop that as well.
- Cook & assemble: Once chicken is ready, sauté it in the marinade, on medium heat, for 5-8 minutes per side, depending on the size of your chicken breasts. A meat thermometer should register 165 degrees F when it is done.
- Remove the chicken from the heat and set atop the linguine pasta. Continue to dot the chicken and pasta with fresh mozzarella and tomatoes, sprinkle basil on top if desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How to Store Caprese Chicken Pasta
Once the Chicken Caprese Pasta is cooked, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. It is important to store it properly to maintain its quality and prevent spoilage.
Here are a few tips on how to store Chicken Caprese Pasta:
- Allow it to cool down to room temperature before storing it in the refrigerator. This will prevent condensation from forming and keep the pasta from becoming soggy.
- Store the pasta in an airtight container to prevent air from getting in and drying out the pasta.
- Label the container with the date it was cooked and stored to keep track of how long it has been in the refrigerator.
- To reheat the pasta, add a small amount of water or broth to the container and microwave it for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
Variations of Chicken Caprese Pasta
There are many ways to make Chicken Caprese Pasta, and each variation brings a unique flavor to the dish. Here are a few variations to try:
1. Grilled Chicken Caprese Pasta
For a smoky flavor, grill the chicken before adding it to the pasta. To make this variation, marinate the chicken in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper for at least an hour. Then, grill the chicken until it’s cooked through and chop it up into bite-sized pieces. Toss the chicken with cooked pasta, cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve.
2. Creamy Chicken Caprese Pasta
For a richer dish, add cream to the pasta. To make this variation, cook the chicken in a pan with garlic and olive oil until it’s cooked through. Then, add heavy cream, cherry tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella to the pan and let it simmer until the cheese is melted and the sauce is thickened. Toss the sauce with cooked pasta and garnish with basil.
3. Pesto Chicken Caprese Pasta
For a flavorful twist, add pesto to the pasta. To make this variation, cook the chicken in a pan with garlic and olive oil until it’s cooked through. Then, add cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and pesto to the pan and let it simmer until the cheese is melted and the sauce is thickened. Toss the sauce with cooked pasta and garnish with basil.
4. One-Pot Chicken Caprese Pasta
For an easy cleanup, make this one-pot variation. To make this variation, cook the chicken in a large pot with garlic and olive oil until it’s cooked through. Then, add uncooked pasta, chicken broth, cherry tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella to the pot. Let it simmer until the pasta is cooked and the cheese is melted. Garnish with basil and serve.
These are just a few variations of Chicken Caprese Pasta to try. Feel free to experiment with different ingredients to find your favorite version of this classic dish.
Is caprese the same as mozzarella?
Caprese refers to a dish that typically includes fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. While mozzarella is a key ingredient in caprese, the two terms are not interchangeable.
Try more healthy meal recipes load with veggies here:
- Grilled Lemon Curry Zucchini
- How to Cook Corn on the Cob
- Easy Sweet Potato Recipe
- Summer Veggie Stew
- Easy Stuffed Zucchini
- Easy Garden Veggie Pizza
- Baked Potatoes with Cheese Sauce
- Oven Fried Zucchini
- Ranch Roasted Potatoes
- Pasta with Roasted Vegetables and Sauce
- Easy Zucchini Pasta
- Greek Quinoa Salad
Chicken Caprese is a dish that combines the flavors of Italian Caprese salad with chicken and pasta. This pasta dish is a delicious and satisfying meal that is perfect for any occasion.