Banana Nut Muffins are a perfect quick and healthy breakfast to serve to your family during the week. This banana nut muffin recipe is so easy to make, you likely already have most of the ingredients in your pantry!
Make these healthy banana nut muffins as a way to use those overly ripe bananas on your counter, they have great flavor and everyone is sure to enjoy them. These banana walnut muffins make a fantastic breakfast or even a mid-day snack, no matter the time of day they are an incredibly delicious treat.
Banana Nut Muffins
So I went a little crazy last week at the produce market and bought 6 bunches of bananas. They were .25 each, I couldn’t pass up a deal like that. So naturally I have been making banana, well, everything. I have been fine tuning this particular recipe for a while now and I love this end result. These muffins are light, flavorful and perfectly moist. Oh and the muffin tops are fantastic too, rejoice with me over the muffin tops! There is a trick to getting them just right, make sure to follow the recipe and read the tips below!
WHY WE THINK YOU WILL LOVE THIS MUFFIN RECIPE
If you were not already sold on giving these muffins a try, here are a few of our top reasons why we love them so much and think you will too.
- They have the BEST texture. These muffins are moist, fluffy and tender. Honestly, of all my muffin recipes I think these have the best texture.
- Good any time of day. They are a great breakfast dish, snack and even go well in school lunches. Sometimes I even heat one up in the microwave, add a little butter and cinnamon sugar to the top for an after dinner treat.
- Basic ingredients. This recipe for homemade muffins calls for very simple ingredients that are most likely already in your kitchen. With items like sugar, milk, butter and egg, it will be a great recipe to make without needing a trip to the store.
Banana Nut Muffin Ingredients
Bananas: You will need 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed, to create these tasty muffins.
Sugar: Add in ¾ cups of granulated sugar to sweeten these muffins nicely.
Milk: Using ¼ cup of milk will help moisten these treats perfectly.
Butter: For a nice rich taste, add in 2 tablespoons of butter, melted.
Oil: To give these muffins necessary fats and moisture, use 2 tablespoons of canola oil or coconut oil.
Egg: Adding in 1 egg to this muffin recipe will help create wonderful texture.
Flour: The structural base of these muffins is 1 ½ cups of flour.
Baking powder: To help the muffins rise as they bake, use 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
Salt: Add in ½ teaspoon of salt to balance all the great flavors in these muffins.
Vanilla extract: By adding in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract you will enhance all the amazing flavors.
Walnuts: Use ½ cup of chopped walnuts (or pecans) in the batter, plus a few more for toppings.
Coarse sugar: You will want to use some turbinado sugar, for sprinklings on top of these muffins.
How to make Easy Banana Nut Muffins
Start by getting the oven preheating to 425ºF. Then, line a muffin pan with paper or silicon liners and set aside.
In a small glass dish, melt the butter for 30 seconds in the microwave.
Next, in a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork, then add in the sugar, milk, melted butter, oil and egg, proceed to mix together with the same fork. After that, stir in the flour, baking powder, salt and vanilla extract, just until the flour is moistened. Now, fold the walnuts into the batter.
Continue to divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups. Next, top with additional nuts and sprinkle coarse sugar on top of each as well.
Place the muffin pan in the preheated oven and bake for 8 minutes. Then, reduce the heat to 375ºF for an additional 10 minutes, until a toothpick can be inserted in the center and comes out clean.
Immediately remove the muffins from pan, let cool on a plate or rack.
Serve once cooled and enjoy!
Tips for amazing muffins every time!
Here are just a few tried and true tips that I have found make the most perfect muffins every time.
- Be careful to not overmix. I just use a fork to stir the ingredients, then a rubber scraper for adding the last of the batter to the muffin tin. You wan to mix until ingredients are just combined, not too much more.
- For the perfectly domed muffin tops. Be sure to change the temperature after the first 8 minutes of baking, as describe in the recipe. It works, I promise!
- Make non-stick muffins. If you use coconut oil in the recipe instead of canola oil, the muffins won’t stick, even if you don’t use non-stick spray.
- Fill the muffin cup up! I always fill my muffin cups pretty full with batter. Think more along the lines of 3/4 full, as opposed to 2/3.
BANANA NUT MUFFINS
- 3 medium ripe bananas mashed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans + more for topping
- turbinado sugar for topping
- Prep: Start by getting the oven preheating to 425ºF. Then, line a muffin pan with paper or silicon liners and set aside. In a small glass dish, melt the butter for 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Batter: Next, in a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork, then add in the sugar, milk, melted butter, oil and egg, proceed to mix together with the same fork. After that, stir in the flour, baking powder, salt and vanilla extract, just until the flour is moistened. Now, fold the walnuts into the batter.
- Continue to divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups. Next, top with additional nuts and sprinkle coarse sugar on top of each as well.
- Bake: Place the muffin pan in the preheated oven and bake for 8 minutes. Then, reduce the heat to 375ºF for an additional 10 minutes, until a tooth pick can be inserted in the center and comes out clean. Immediately remove the muffins from pan, let cool on a plate or rack. Serve once cooled and enjoy!
HOW LONG ARE THESE MUFFINS GOOD FOR?
I recommend eating these muffins within 3-5 days for the best tasting results. You can keep them stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days, but eating these muffins sooner means they will taste so much better.
CAN I FREEZE THESE BANANA MUFFINS?
Yes, these muffins can be frozen. Simply place them in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before eating by placing a muffin (or more) on the counter for about 30 minutes to come to room temperature.
For more amazing muffin recipes, give these a try!
- Double Berry Cheesecake Muffins
- Lemon Raspberry Streusel Muffins
- Nutella Banana Muffins
- Amazing Blueberry Muffins
- Cheesy Cornbread Muffins
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins
- Easy Pumpkin Muffins
- “Doughnut” Muffins
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Lemon Pound Cake Muffins
- Blueberry Cheesecake Muffins
- Lemon Zucchini Muffins
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Iced Banana Almond Muffins
Need some biscuit and dinner roll recipes? Here you go!
- How to make Homemade Biscuits
- Easy Parmesan Garlic Dinner Rolls
- Easy 30-Minute Dinner Rolls
- Raspberry Honey Butter spread
- Cheesy Cornbread Muffins
- Best Blueberry Muffins
- Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Strawberry Butter recipe
- Homemade English Muffins
- Nutella Banana Muffins recipe
- Banana Nut Muffins
Banana Nut Muffins are a great fast and healthy breakfast dish to serve to your family on the busy weekdays. This banana nut muffin recipe is so simple to whip up, you probably already have some of the ingredients in your kitchen.