Sour Cream Banana Bread is packed with ripe bananas for perfectly sweet, flavorful bread. Lovely moist banana bread recipe that uses sour cream for texture and a perfect crumb.
Making this banana bread recipe with sour cream is a wonderful way to add moisture, richness, and incredible taste to every slice. The sour cream in this easy homemade banana bread gives the batter a nice thick texture, and results in a light and flavorful bread.
Old Fashioned Banana Bread with Sour Cream
This is the best banana bread recipe you will every try and it is made with sour cream. You don’t need much to pull it together, but the end results will make it seem like you really put a lot of time and effort into it. We love banana recipes and have an entire section of this website dedicated to banana recipes, but this bread is one of the classics that we’re sure will continue to be favored by all. In a blind taste testing competition, we’re sure this loaf would win.
Why we think you will enjoy this easy banana bread recipe
If you were not already collecting the ingredients to make this bread recipe, here are a few reasons to convince you to do so.
- Simple ingredients. This recipe calls for very basic ingredients, if you already have ripe bananas and sour cream on hand, you may already have the other ingredients needed as well.
- So moist and flavorful! The added sour cream packs in the moisture in the bread. We also use 3 bananas for additional moisture and flavor. The results are amazing!
- You can customize this loaf. Feel free to add in a teaspoon or two of ground cinnamon, or add up to one cup of chocolate chips or your favorite nut, and it is sure to be delicious!
Banana Bread Ingredients
Flour: You will need 2 cups of all-purpose flour for the structural base of this bread recipe.
Sugar: Use ¾ cups of granulated sugar to make the bread nice and sweet.
Salt: Adding in ½ teaspoon of salt will help to bring out the great flavors in the loaf.
Leavening agents: Use 1 teaspoon each of baking powder and baking soda to make the bread fluff up nicely.
Eggs: Add in 2 eggs to bind the batter together well and help with the overall texture and consistency of the bread.
Sour cream: You will want to add in ¾ cups of sour cream, but you can use plain Greek yogurt as an alternate if desired.
Oil: To add fats to the bread and moisten it, you will need ⅓ cup of canola oil.
Vanilla extract: Use 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to enhance all the amazing flavors in this bread recipe.
Bananas: You will need 3 ripe bananas for this recipe, but some are for going inside of the bread, and some will be reserved for decorating the top of the loaves.
How to Make Sour Cream Banana Bread
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Then, lightly grease the bottom of an 8 or 9-inch bread loaf pan and set it aside.
Next, in a small bowl, gently whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda and set aside.
Then, in a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, mash 2 bananas and then add in the eggs, sour cream, oil, and vanilla extract. Stir together until well blended.
Proceed to stir the dry ingredients into the wet ones and mix until just combined. Be careful to not over mix.
Transfer the banana bread batter into the prepared greased bread pan and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before baking. Letting the bread rest for a few minutes really helps to give you a much nicer-looking loaf.
After it has rested, thinly slice the last banana and place it on top of the batter. You can make it look as decorative as you want.
Place the bread pan in the preheated oven and bake for 55-60 minutes. Or until the bread is lightly browned, the internal temperature will reach 200 degrees F.
Slice, serve and enjoy!
SOUR CREAM BANANA BREAD
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 ripe bananas divided
- Prep: Start by preheating the oven to 350degrees F. Then, lightly grease the bottom of an 8 or 9-inch bread loaf pan and set it aside.
- Make batter: Next, in a small bowl, gently whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda and set aside.
- Then, in a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, mash 2 bananas and then add in the eggs, sour cream, oil, and vanilla extract. Stir together until well blended. Proceed to stir the dry ingredients into the wet ones and mix until just combined. Be careful to not over mix.
- Rest: Transfer the banana bread batter into the prepared greased bread pan and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before baking. Letting the bread rest for a few minutes really helps to give you a much nicer-looking loaf. After it has rested, thinly slice the last banana and place it on top of the batter. You can make it look as decorative as you want.
- Bake: Place the bread pan in the preheated oven and bake for 55-60 minutes. Or until the bread is lightly browned, the internal temperature will reach 200 degrees F. Slice, serve and enjoy!
How long is sour cream banana bread good for?
This bread will taste great for up to 3 or 4 days if kept stored in an airtight container at room temperature. We like to warm up a slice or two on a plate in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds before spreading with some softened butter. Yum!
Can I freeze banana bread with sour cream?
Yes! This bread freezes very well. After letting your loaf cool completely, wrap it well with plastic wrap and place it into an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before slicing and eating. Enjoy!
BEST BREAD PAN?
I bake a lot of bread and the pans I prefer are either ceramic, glass or cast iron. These pans will bake bread more evenly and release the bread more easily after baking. I don’t like using dark or nonstick pans because the bread cooks unevenly. It darkens on the outside before the bread is cooked on the inside, so the coloring is uneven. Read more about which bread pan is the best here!
We are sure you will go bananas for these other banana recipes!
- CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA OATMEAL COOKIES
- 3 INGREDIENT BANANA PANCAKES
- CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA MUG CAKE
- CARAMEL BANANA CREAM PIE COOKIES
- FROSTED BANANA CAKE
- BANANA CREAM PIE COOKIES
- PEANUT BUTTER CUP BROWNIE TRIFLE
- BANANA PECAN PANCAKES
- VANILLA PUDDING BANANA BREAD
- BUTTER PECAN BANANA CREAM PIE
- BANANA CUPCAKES WITH LEMON BUTTERCREAM
- NO-BAKE PEANUT BUTTER BANANA FUDGE BARS
Sour Cream Banana Bread is so moist, full of flavor, and a great way to use up those ripe bananas you have lying around. This banana bread recipe is easy to make, with simple ingredients you can whip up a loaf with little effort!
Banana bread is one of my favorites. I really need to start making it more at home because this recipe was fantastic. We ate it up so fast!
I loved this banana bread! The sour cream gave it a really good texture. Will make again!
If I don’t want to top the loaf with the third banana can I incorporate it into the recipe or could I just leave it out?
The banana bread is in the oven right now and it smells wonderful. I did substitute applesauce for the oil though. It is something I do to keep the calories down and maintain the flavor.
Great idea Nancy!! Enjoy your bread!