These red velvet whoopie pies with marshmallow filling are an easy and delicious treat. With the cherry marshmallow filling, they add a touch of flavor and romance, making them perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Making these easy whoopie pies with cake mix is one of the foolproof methods for a simple and quick dessert in no time. Not to mention, making red velvet cake from scratch is always a bit of a challenge! Thankfully, even those with little to no cooking experience can manage to make these red velvet whoopie pies with cake mix.
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies With Cherry Marshmallow Filling
I love red velvet cake (especially around Valentine’s Day!) I tried for a while to find a great filling that would pair well and that more unique. Cream cheese and red velvet cake are a no-brainer perfect par, but I wanted something different. I came up with this marshmallow frosting and when I went to color it pink, I noticed a jar of maraschino cherries and a lightbulb went off in my brain.
The cherries add the perfect shade of color and flavor that pairs so great with the red velvet. Red velvet cake, as we know is made from a chocolate cake base, so if you think about it it’s a cherries and chocolate combination, which is another timeless classic combination.
Is A Whoopie Pie a Cake or Cookie?
That’s the perfect question and one without a straightforward answer. A whoopie pie is a combination of the two. With two pillowy soft cake-like cookies sandwiched around a delicious filling, does it really matter if it’s a cake or a cookie? It tastes the same either way.
How Can I Make These Valentines Day Treats Even More Romantic?
Instead of rolling the dough into balls, roll it out on a lightly floured surface and use a heart shaped cookie cutter to change the cookie shapes. This simple change really gives a great touch. Just make sure to leave a room on the pan for the cookies to expand.
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with Cherry Filling Ingredients
For the cookies you will need:
-1 box Red Velvet cake mix
-1/2 cup oil
For the filling you will need:
-2 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
-1 (7-ounce) jar of marshmallow creme
-2 cups powdered sugar
-2 teaspoons vanilla
-3-4 TBSP maraschino cherry juice (you can definitely add more!)
How to Make Red Velvet Whoopie Pies With Cherry Filling
In a bowl, blend together the eggs, oil and cake mix.
Roll out the dough into little balls and then place them on a cookie sheet. I recommend using a cookie scoop to keep the sizes uniform.
Bake the cookies for 8 minutes at 350 degrees F. Let them cool completely before making the filling.
Next, mix in the marshmallow creme and the vanilla until it’s smooth.
If you want your filling to be cherry flavored, add in 3-4 TBSP of maraschino cherry juice. I may have added a little more than that just to make it a little more pink and it was wonderful! It just depends on how strong of a cherry flavor you prefer!
Next, use a cookie scoop to portion out the filling onto half of the cookies, and then I placed the remaining cookies on top to make little sandwiches.
- 1 box Red Velvet cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
For the filling
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 1 7oz jar marshmallow creme
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 tbsp maraschino cherry juice (you can definitely add more!)
- Add oil and eggs to the cake mix and blend together.
- Roll the dough into balls and place on cookie sheet. I used a standard sized cookie scoop to make the balls the same size and then just rolled them to make them a little more round.
- Bake cookies at 350 for 8 minutes and let them cool completely before making the filling. Blend the powdered sugar and butter together until well mixed.
- Next, mix in the marshmallow creme and vanilla until smooth.
- If you want your filling to be cherry flavored, add 3-4 TBSP of maraschino cherry juice. You can add a little more for a stronger cherry flavor.
- Next, I use a cookie scoop to portion out the filling onto half of the cookies, and then I placed the remaining cookies on top to make little sandwiches. Enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Should You Refrigerate Whoopie Pies?
If you don’t plan on eating whoopie pies within the same day, refrigeration is the best storage solution. They can last in an airtight container inside of the fridge for up to a week.
Can You Freeze Whoopie Pies?
Yes! You can freeze them. Freezing whoopie pies is great for a longer storage solution. I recommend freezing them solid for about an hour on a parchment lined baking sheet and then transferring to an airtight container. Unless you want to make them easier for grabbing and tossing in a lunchbox, then after they’ve frozen solid, individually wrap in plastic wrap and toss in the airtight container.
If You Loved This Dessert, Check Out These Other Valentine’s Day Treats:
- Valentines Cream Cheese Butter Mints
- Red Velvet Valentines Cookies
- Valentines Marshmallow Pops
- Easy Chocolate Fondue
- Easy Valentines Donuts
- Chocolate Sweetheart Truffles
- Layered Valentines Jello Cups
- Chocolate Raspberry Sticks
- Valentine Candy Bark
- Valentines Marshmallow Chocolate Bark
- Easy Chocolate Cherry Truffles
- Valentines Day Chocolate Bouquet
- Dark Chocolate Truffles
- Strawberry Valentine Chex Mix
- Valentines Chocolate Lattice Sugar Cookies
These red velvet whoopie pies with marshmallow filling are the best Valentines Day dessert, but go ahead and enjoy them anytime the mood strikes! These tasty treats are easy to make and so delicious, you’ll want them all year long.