Mulligatawny soup made with curry chicken, packed with veggies, then served over rice. Comforting, sweet curry soup with great flavor!
This mulligatawny stew recipe a great dish for this chilly Spring weather we have here in Utah where it snows in the morning and the kids are asking to put on shorts by the afternoon. It’s still cold, but adding all the fruit and veggies to the soup just makes it feel more Spring-like.
Chicken and Vegetable Curry Soup
I’m a fan of a nice, mild curry and this soup is so incredible with all the fresh vegetables. I love the sweet addition of apples and raisins too- they compliment the curry so well and make this dish more appealing for kids!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s easily thrown together. Use rotisserie chicken or leftover shredded chicken to make the meal prep even easier. Multiple parts of this recipe can even be done in advance like veggie prep.
- It tastes wonderful. The combination of sweet, savory, and spicy all work so well together that this is a dish that “just” works. It’s sure to become an instant favorite in your household as it has in mine.
- One pot makes a bunch. Depending on how big you serve portions, there may be plenty left for everyone to get a second helping after this dish is done. you can stretch it out even more by serving this curry stew over cooked rice.
Chicken Mulligatawny Soup Ingredients
Olive oil: You will need 2 tablespoons of oil to help cook the fruits and veggies when sauteing them.
Vegetables: You’ll use 1 medium-sized onion that has been chopped fine. You will only need one finely sliced stalk of celery. Use 2 large carrots that have been sliced into small pieces. Adding in a cored and diced green pepper will add a lot of flavor to this stew.
Fruits: You will need 2 apples for this recipe. I used Fuji but you can use any that you have on hand. Make sure to peel, core, and dice them. Adding in 1/2 cup of golden raisins will add a little sweetness to the dish. For added color and flavor you will want (1) 14.5 ounce sized can of diced tomatoes.
Chicken: Add in 3 cups of cooked chicken. I used two breasts off of a rotisserie chicken to make the prep easier.
Thickening agents: You will need 1/2 cup of flour and 1 TBSP cornstarch to get the stew to thicken.
Curry powder: You will need 2-3 teaspoons of curry powder for added flavor to this recipe, but if you want a bigger kick you can use up to 4 teaspoons.
Broth: 5 cups of chicken broth (3) 14.5-ounce cans will be the base of the curry.
Salt and pepper: These will be added to taste meaning that you will add as much or as little as you want.
Rice: You’ll want about 2 cups of cooked white rice to serve this curry stew over.
How to Make Sweet Chicken & Vegetable Curry Stew
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add the onion, celery, carrots, green pepper, raisins and apple and saute for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the flour, curry powder, and corn starch.
After 15 minutes, add the flour mixture to the pot and mix well. Begin adding in chicken broth one can at a time, stirring well to incorporate the flour/ curry mixture between cans.
Add in the chicken and tomatoes. Cover pot and simmer for an hour.
To serve, fill soup bowl about 1/2 way with hot rice, then ladle Mulligatawny over the top.
Do you Stir the Rice into Mulligatawny?
I’ve had other versions of this where the rice is added to the soup mixture and stirred in. You can do this if you’d like, but I prefer to have more control over the rice-soup ratio by adding it separately. Either way, this soup tastes delicious!
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 onion medium sized , chopped fine
- 1 celery stalk sliced fine
- 2 carrots medium sized , sliced
- 1 green pepper cored and diced
- 2 apples peeled, cored and diced
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 3 cups cooked diced chicken about 2 chicken breasts
- ½ cup flour
- 1 TBSP cornstarch
- 2-3 tsp curry powder
- 5 cups chicken broth three 15 oz cans
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, green pepper, raisins and apple and saute for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the flour, curry powder and corn starch.
- After 15 minutes, add the flour mixture to the pot with the produce and mix well. Begin adding in chicken broth one can at a time, stirring well to incorporate the flour/ curry mixture between cans.
- Add in the chicken and tomatoes. Cover pot and simmer for an hour.
- To serve, fill soup bowl about 1/2 way with hot rice, then ladle Mulligatawny over the top.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
What is Mulligatawny soup made from?
Mulligatawny is a flavorful food combining multiple cultures into one dish. This soup usually has a base of chicken, vegetables, apples, and rice. Since coming from Sri Lakan, this dish has taken on multiple ingredients and twists.
How long is Mulligatawny good for?
This soup can be kept stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat again before serving.
Can I freeze Mulligatawny?
Yes and no. This soup can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months assuming that you didn’t add any rice into the stew mixture. If you added rice to it, then I do not recommend freezing the soup. The rice will expand and make the soup into a starchy mess as it thaws and reheats.
More Soups and Stews Recipes To Try:
- LASAGNA SOUP
- SLOW COOKER FRENCH ONION SOUP
- OLIVE GARDEN CHICKEN GNOCCHI SOUP
- CREAMY TOMATO SOUP WITH TORTELLINI
- SLOW COOKER PIZZA SOUP
- CHICKEN ALFREDO SOUP
- EASY PUMPKIN SOUP
- CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- THREE CHEESE SOUP
- 20 MINUTE LOADED BAKED POTATO SOUP
- SLOW COOKER CREAMY CHICKEN ENCHILADA SOUP
- GERMAN SAUSAGE SOUP
This Mulligatawny sweet chicken and vegetable curry stew recipe is a delicious fashion of veggies, chicken, rice and more. Packed with so much flavor in every bite, this dish is sure to become a family favorite!